Mulcair to rasie minimum wage!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That is the response you expect from someone that lives in a 2-D world.

No idea of what the market reaction(s) are to altering one of the basic variables in the equation and not enough imagination to even make an attempt as to the consequences.
It came as no surprise, he lacks vision and understanding of the broader picture.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
But what about all the social workers that prey on the poverty system to get their high government paycheques? They have zero desire to change the system since they have no transferable job skills.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Key word here is IF

if Mulcair becomes P.M. he will raise the minimum wage to $19

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
But what about all the social workers that prey on the poverty system to get their high government paycheques? They have zero desire to change the system since they have no transferable job skills.

Why would they necessarily need to? No one says that there wouldn't be a social services system, just not the same as the one we currently have. If you have a top up system, you still need personnel to assess criteria and sign off in accordance with the regulations.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Does Mulcair realize that he is treading on provincial jurisdiction here? Other than banks and railroads there are few industries that are federally regulated and most government jobs already pay well over that now.
But since there is no chance of the dippers forming a government anytime soon reality is not relevant to the promises.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I have a great idea! There should be a central hiring pool! The managers of the pool would determine how much people get paid and will monitor for working conditions! Those with the most tenure go to the front of the line! All businesses must sign the employment contract! Any employee issues can be brought forward to a grievance committee! Businesses that don't follow the rules can be picketed!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Why would they necessarily need to? No one says that there wouldn't be a social services system, just not the same as the one we currently have. If you have a top up system, you still need personnel to assess criteria and sign off in accordance with the regulations.

The goal of our social services system is not to get people off government services but to maintain the status quo to protect their jobs.
Non profit employment societies that are government funded pay their staff extremely well and make you run through a whole minefield of in house classes to get what you want.
A few years back I went to the local one (NIEFS) to see about some money to renew my OFA III during the winter when we were not logging.. First they wanted me to make up a return to work action plan, take a resume writing course and some other in house training. After a bit of Q&A I found out they would not fund a renual course but if I was looking to get a OFAIII for the first time they would pay for it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well maybe your city has a better system in place but I know here it's abysmal. I've seen my nephew walking for 2 hours because his shift is done but the single bus that goes by his industrial complex only runs for a small window twice a day. So it's either walk or wait 2 plus hours until the buses run again.

He's making the wise choice- improving his physical health as well as his financial health.-:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The goal of our social services system is not to get people off government services but to maintain the status quo to protect their jobs.

Maybe but we're speaking hypothetically about reworking the entire system for all social services. In a hypothetical top-up system you'll never have absolutely everyone completely off assistance, as well as if we seek to include government (taxpayer funded) services for things like retraining, education, etc. Again, this is all hypothetical but if you look at from the perspective of what is the best option for both individuals and society, I think it's got the potential to be a far better system.

Lots of reasons why hell may freeze over before anything of the kind is implemented of course.

Non profit employment societies that are government funded pay their staff extremely well and make you run through a whole minefield of in house classes to get what you want.
A few years back I went to the local one (NIEFS) to see about some money to renew my OFA III during the winter when we were not logging.. First they wanted me to make up a return to work action plan, take a resume writing course and some other in house training. After a bit of Q&A I found out they would not fund a renual course but if I was looking to get a OFAIII for the first time they would pay for it.
From my understanding of the way "the system" changes over the years, we start off with a system that may have worked well enough 40 or 50 years ago and then all that happens is things are added or taken away according to which way the political wind is blowing. So you end up with quite the substantial mess that really benefits no one.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
8O

Have you ever been in a boat before? Ever had to avoid ending up on the rocks? I don't think you could have picked a worse analogy.

Just tie your boat firmly to a solid pile or post at low tide..........You might have to do a bit of bailing after high tide....:smile:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Like Juan said, "IF", and actually, it will be a never, no "IF" involved. Mulclair can promise the moon, he'll never have to come through with it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

There is an interesting analogy here... In the US, the DEA has become such a massive entity, employing an army of people (let alone the suppliers that outfit them) that a move to legalize drugs and thus eliminate the need for the vast majority of DEA personnel would lead to a ton of folks being unemployed.

This is an excellent example of gvt creating an industry out of thin air and no longer being in a position to eliminate it when it becomes redundant

Does Mulcair realize that he is treading on provincial jurisdiction here? Other than banks and railroads there are few industries that are federally regulated and most government jobs already pay well over that now.
But since there is no chance of the dippers forming a government anytime soon reality is not relevant to the promises.

What I find interesting is that Mulcair is proposing a national strategy that can never be sensitive to the unique cost of living stats across the nation.

Valuating the min wage to the cost of living in Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto would be severely over-priced relative to small-town Manitoba (etc) that would in turn attract more people to leave the major centers to get far better value in those small (less expensive) towns.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There is an interesting analogy here... In the US, the DEA has become such a massive entity, employing an army of people (let alone the suppliers that outfit them) that a move to legalize drugs and thus eliminate the need for the vast majority of DEA personnel would lead to a ton of folks being unemployed.

This is an excellent example of gvt creating an industry out of thin air and no longer being in a position to eliminate it when it becomes redundant

What I find interesting is that Mulcair is proposing a national strategy that can never be sensitive to the unique cost of living stats across the nation.

Valuating the min wage to the cost of living in Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto would be severely over-priced relative to small-town Manitoba (etc) that would in turn attract more people to leave the major centers to get far better value in those small (less expensive) towns.

We have something of that now. People on welfare will move to an area with no jobs but also lower cost of living to ensure continued government cheques.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Oh for sure it is in many ways a completely self-perpetuating system. I'm not suggesting that we could ever keep the status quo on one end of the spectrum while radically rejigging the other end.

And you and I discussed this briefly in that other thread that I mentioned to Bear earlier. But, just as a mental exercise if nothing else, if we were to start 100% from scratch, what would we choose to build into this new system? I would suggest, in this hypothetical scenario, you start off with a basic premise....that we want all citizens to be as productive, healthy and involved as possible. Now, right off the bat you will have to eliminate some members of society. Possibly those with severe disabilities for example are likely not going to all be able to be completely self-sufficient irrespective of how much of a hand up they may get. Just that alone suggests that we will never completely eliminate all social services. But if we look at it in terms of investing, where do we invest our money and resources to see the greatest returns? I would suggest things like Guaranteed Income Supplements, education or retraining, definitely healthcare. And, like it or not, we do need to have members of society to administer those programs.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I won't argue that, but I would add that poor public transit would be a contributing factor as well.

I think that would be a good help to everybody. I think the TTC thinks that if the bus isn't completely full, with riders squashed against each others and people at bus stops being turned away, they are running too frequently.