Mulcair to rasie minimum wage!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Guaranteed income supplement. Just tweak it a little?

I think you'd need to go further than that, it would require a complete rethink of the social services system. But it would definitely qualify as more of hand up than the hand out that it currently is.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think you'd need to go further than that, it would require a complete rethink of the social services system. But it would definitely qualify as more of hand up than the hand out that it currently is.
Hand ups are far more important and longer lasting than handouts.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
In addition, increased funding to adult education via Job Centres/Employment Offices, for people displaced by layoffs and closers, or wanting to move on from deadend minimum wage jobs.

Yes, any area in which otherwise good hard working people routinely can fall through the cracks.

I'd rather supplement someone working 30 hours a week for minimum wage so that they may be able to sustain a moderately decent lifestyle for themselves and their families rather than the current welfare system that encourages people to take the minimum wage jobs where they currently can't. No wonder it often becomes a revolving door.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hand ups are far more important and longer lasting than handouts.

We had a thread about this not too long ago, about making a determination for what the true poverty line is and using that as a baseline measurement for what systems to put in place within the social services area to assist people to achieve that or better.

Even if someone is only making $11 an hour, if they receive enough support to not keep them below the poverty line (and it can't be any more money than is currently spent on welfare I'm sure) you also have the added benefit of boosting self-esteem/self-worth. It's an important component because it is the main piece that drives people forward towards bettering their own lives, on their own initiatives. In much the same way that education does.

But it would require a huge rethinking of the entire social services system and wouldn't happen overnight. But you will end up with less children growing up in a home where their parents never worked and ending up in that same rut themselves. Worth it in the long run I think.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In addition, increased funding to adult education via Job Centres/Employment Offices, for people displaced by layoffs and closers, or wanting to move on from deadend minimum wage jobs.

Holy crap! Is this conversation actually producing fruitful dialogue?

Driver training and licenses is one of the biggest barriers impoverished have when it comes to gaining employment.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Driver training and licenses is one of the biggest barriers impoverished have when it comes to gaining employment.
I won't argue that, but I would add that poor public transit would be a contributing factor as well.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

That's true, it can be. My sister-in-law works in social services and she's told me that on more than one occasion she's seen individuals ready, willing, and able to work ultimately be turned down by a lot of the industrial companies in this area because they are all outside of reliable public transit routes and being impoverished, they don't have a car. There can be many impediments to getting a decent job, which ends up leaving people working for minimum wage and often not even full time.

Holy crap! Is this conversation actually producing fruitful dialogue?

And some said it couldn't be done! Ha!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's true, it can be. My sister-in-law works in social services and she's told me that on more than one occasion she's seen individuals ready, willing, and able to work ultimately be turned down by a lot of the industrial companies in this area because they are all outside of reliable public transit routes and being impoverished, they don't have a car. There can be many impediments to getting a decent job, which ends up leaving people working for minimum wage and often not even full time.

And some said it couldn't be done! Ha!
I was going to call you two green lefties....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was going to call you two green lefties....

Lol, why? Seems pretty practical and reasonable to me. If the goal is to get people to become self-sufficient, then a system that actually helps them become self-sufficient should be implemented.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You're daft. The job makers are those who will hire others who earn their wage. In other words if you aren't worth the minimum wage to the employer you ain't being hired.

Don't be so silly. Without customers, it's irrelevant who hires who. I understand the concept is a little over your head but I'll try my best to spoon feed you.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lol, why? Seems pretty practical and reasonable to me. If the goal is to get people to become self-sufficient, then a system that actually helps them become self-sufficient should be implemented.
I keep seeing buses full of Somoli pirates who work out at the global transportation hub. Employers arranged transport helps.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I keep seeing buses full of Somoli pirates who work out at the global transportation hub. Employers arranged transport helps.

Well maybe your city has a better system in place but I know here it's abysmal. I've seen my nephew walking for 2 hours because his shift is done but the single bus that goes by his industrial complex only runs for a small window twice a day. So it's either walk or wait 2 plus hours until the buses run again.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well maybe your city has a better system in place but I know here it's abysmal. I've seen my nephew walking for 2 hours because his shift is done but the single bus that goes by his industrial complex only runs for a small window twice a day. So it's either walk or wait 2 plus hours until the buses run again.

I couldn't tell you. I haven't been on a bus for 30 years. It looks like it sucks.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I couldn't tell you. I haven't been on a bus for 30 years. It looks like it sucks.

When I was in Ottawa I found the system pretty good unless you were in a really new area with "local routes only". I figure if someone can get from Orleans to Kanata in approx 35 minutes that's pretty good, it would take longer to drive.

Here though, from everything I hear about, the routes are horrible. And the majority of our industrial area is on the outskirts of town but all around the perimeter, to my knowledge many of them aren't even serviced by public transportation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One would have to look where the minimum wage jobs are before running wild disaster theories.
Definitely have some impact on the economy how much and where? ... Dunno I am not an armchair economist.

I've been watching wages rise for 60 years and prices rise right behind them! When will the idiocy end? -:) The poor are still poor!