Montreal family kills daughters

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Fundamentalism is the belief that everything said or written is literal. We are also
confusing religion with customs in many cases. The events that happened were
brought about from a tribal way of thinking instead of a societal approach to the
problems of life.
In tribal societies its all about the honour of the family while in society we realize
that because a family member does something bad it is not the entire family that is
bad. Education is a prime game changer here except for the fact that the mentality
is so ingrained it will take generations of education to change the thought process.

This was never intended to be part of multiculturalism it has become an unintended
consequence though. We should let people come here and practice their faith, we
should allow those living here all their lives to practice their faith. There is one other
condition that should apply to all.

You can practice your faith as long as those practices conform with the laws of the land

In other words you cannot kill your children for your own or religious reasons
You cannot force them to marry anyone they don't want to
you cannot beat them to a bloody pulp to satisfy the dictates of the religion

Yes all people believers, and non believers, fundamentalists and moderates and all
citizens cannot hide behind their beliefs while committing crimes against others or
the state.
Eaglesmack sometimes speaking from the right wing perspective is quite alright if the
situation calls for it. I myself admittedly speak more from what I call the left but I
also recognize there are two sides to everything.
We have to take and maintain a firm stand that is was First Degree Murder and nothing
less will satisfy the courts or the Canadian people.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Eaglesmack sometimes speaking from the right wing perspective is quite alright if the
situation calls for it. I myself admittedly speak more from what I call the left but I
also recognize there are two sides to everything.
We have to take and maintain a firm stand that is was First Degree Murder and nothing
less will satisfy the courts or the Canadian people.

So you'd be more like a centrist here in the US and not a liberal. I am just saying that we're a lot more alike than some like to admit, including yourself.

Except in Hockey that is.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

That is what the jury thought about their damned honour.

So right, juan. It took the jury only two days to decide on the verdict. Of course, the defense will now appeal the verdict but with such a strong case for the prosecution and with such overwhelming evidence of guilt, the three murderers will surely spend the rest of their lives exactly where they belong - behind bars.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The legal system is working, people are being charged. Multiculturalism causes this, more precisely bad multicutluralism because it is not in a Canadian context. These sorts of crimes are caused by bad multiculturalism. Bad multiculturalism allows immigrants to come to Canada and retain their traditional culture, which is undemocratic, unequal and permits vendettas. Like what they have in Asia, which is where these people are from. But you also get vendettas in Europe, Africa, and pre-Columbian America.
Bullshyte. Multiculturalism is neither bad nor good. It is people that are too boneheaded to accept that there are other countries that have standards for behavior. They think they can come here and not adapt to standards here, but keep their own.

We can't control what the world does, we can only control, to a degree, what occurs in Canada. And due to politeness, shame, guilt, disinterest, we are letting immigrants have too much freedom to be the way they were in their former country. A hands off policy has consequences too.
Nonsense. Have you any idea what is in the immigration courses that people have to pass before becoming Canadian citizens? Have you any idea how deeply some people's religions, politics, etc. are that they think can ride over Canadian standards?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So right, juan. It took the jury only two days to decide on the verdict. Of course, the defense will now appeal the verdict but with such a strong case for the prosecution and with such overwhelming evidence of guilt, the three murderers will surely spend the rest of their lives exactly where they belong - behind bars.

You'd have to define "the rest of their lives"....but that's a different topic.;-)

This can & should send a clear message regarding "honour" murders, but
I can see appeals coming on this, and the finger of racism (or religionism,
or whatever...) being thrown out. Maybe condemnation from the U.N. about
the evils of Canadians in general for being non-inclusive of other cultures,
ect....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

The jury had a choice of first degree or second degree and they chose first degree. I don't know what grounds an appeal might be granted on but the next jury will look at the same evidence and come up with the same answer.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The police aren't necessarily clued into honour killings from third world countries, and since no crime had yet been committed, they couldn't do much. Cop shows have this all the time.
Physical abuse is illegal in Canada.

Right.

The jury had a choice of first degree or second degree and they chose first degree. I don't know what grounds an appeal might be granted on but the next jury will look at the same evidence and come up with the same answer.
Well, they have to apply for an appeal to begin with. You can't just appeal stuff. I doubt the application will get anywhere.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You'd have to define "the rest of their lives"....but that's a different topic.;-)

This can & should send a clear message regarding "honour" murders, but
I can see appeals coming on this, and the finger of racism (or religionism,
or whatever...) being thrown out. Maybe condemnation from the U.N. about
the evils of Canadians in general for being non-inclusive of other cultures,
ect....

Apparently the were sentenced to 25 years, Ron. At least for the father, that could well mean 'the rest of his life'. An appeal is a foregone conclusion though as the 'experts' are saying right now, unless there is overwhelming evidence that the judge erred in allowing certain evidence, an appeal will not succeed, but that will be years from now. There is also the fact that though they will be eligible for parole in 25 years, the Crown has the right to fight it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
25yrs, but eligible for parole in 15yrs I believe. I could be wrong though.
It sure wouldn't be the first time (today, even).

I believe first degree murder carries an automatic sentence of life imprisonment with no chance of parole
for twenty five years.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
25yrs, but eligible for parole in 15yrs I believe. I could be wrong though.
It sure wouldn't be the first time (today, even).

All the lawyers so far are saying 25, Ron.

I was just thinking that the verdict vindicated DG's decision to state the family 'killed' the 'daughters' before the verdict was in. :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
“It is difficult to conceive of a more heinous, more despicable and more honourless crime,” Ontario Superior Court Judge Robert Maranger said Sunday after the jury foreman had read aloud the verdicts.

Looking directly at Mohammad Shafia, 58, Tooba Mohammad Yahya, 42 and their oldest son Hamed as they stood before him in the prisoners’ box for the last time, the judge concluded with a stinging denunciation.

“The apparent reason behind these cold-blooded, shameless murders was that the four completely innocent victims offended your twisted notion of honour, a notion of honour that is founded upon the domination and control of women, a sick notion of honour that has absolutely no place in any civilized society.”

"By using the words “honourless” and “shameless”, Maranger was tossing back at Shafia some of the very epithets he used so often when speaking about his dead daughters."

Shafia trial verdict: No honour in