'Jesus and Santa are 'verifiably white'

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Bible says there should be no Churches built of stone, a church is wherever 2 o3 3 gather to talk about God. Christians don't seem to have even caught onto that aspect yet.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Except possibly a bunch of Christians getting all bent out of shape over their "right" to spend government funds in direct violation of the First Amendment to express their Christian faith by displaying German pagan symbols that are mentioned nowhere in the bible.

What first amendment violation. Explain in full as to how a Church run Christmas tree is setting policy on the hill after you explain how the tree got into politics in the first place.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What first amendment violation. Explain in full as to how a Church run Christmas tree is setting policy on the hill after you explain how the tree got into politics in the first place.

Did I say "a Church run Christmas tree?" No, I did not. But I like your technique. If you can't argue effectively against what I said, pretend I said something else and argue against that.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Except possibly a bunch of Christians getting all bent out of shape over their "right" to spend government funds in direct violation of the First Amendment to express their Christian faith by displaying German pagan symbols that are mentioned nowhere in the bible.

See this is what makes me roll my eyes at all the outrage over bunnies and eggs and trees and lights. They aren't actually religious symbols. They don't display them in church as part of the mass. They are a cross cultural, common language symbol. So why do so many people get so damn bent out of shape over them?

The whole point of a Christmas tree, yule tree, holiday tree, is to bring light into a bleak time, and bring people together to feast, celebrate, and fill up their emotional cup, so to speak, to last out the rest of the isolating winter. Religions celebrate assorted light ceremonies at this time, and lace them with their particular religious stories. It's a universal language of human need for light and connectedness. Christmas tree is an expeditious way of saying what that tree you put up is, but it's a symbol that the common thread of celebration belongs to society, not just to Christians. (and yes, I say that even as a Catholic).

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You forgot the bonanza in profits for the Merchants that peddle Christmas themed items as well as the variety of gifts that are purchased for this specific time. It's a multi-billion dollar industry with blessings from the established Churches.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
See this is what makes me roll my eyes at all the outrage over bunnies and eggs and trees and lights. They aren't actually religious symbols. They don't display them in church as part of the mass. They are a cross cultural, common language symbol. So why do so many people get so damn bent out of shape over them?

The whole point of a Christmas tree, yule tree, holiday tree, is to bring light into a bleak time, and bring people together to feast, celebrate, and fill up their emotional cup, so to speak, to last out the rest of the isolating winter. Religions celebrate assorted light ceremonies at this time, and lace them with their particular religious stories. It's a universal language of human need for light and connectedness. Christmas tree is an expeditious way of saying what that tree you put up is, but it's a symbol that the common thread of celebration belongs to society, not just to Christians. (and yes, I say that even as a Catholic).

I hate disagreeing with you Karrie, my what have you done with your hair? it's spectacular and really brings out your eyes, you are obviously very intelligent and capable person. The egg the tree and the flaming candle all enjoy the very oldest religious symbolism of humans and they are practically universal. The bunny represents fertility in many cases.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did I say "a Church run Christmas tree?" No, I did not. But I like your technique. If you can't argue effectively against what I said, pretend I said something else and argue against that.
Christmas trees aren't a violation to first amendment rights in any way, shape or form. Neither is kids saying our father in school.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The Jesus of the Christian right is most assuredly white.

He is not the pacifistic mendicant rabbi from the Levant who taught his followers to live communally, forgive their enemies, give up their wealth to the poor, and love their fellow man.

He is not even the God-man adopted by the Romans and refined by Italian clerics over the centuries.

He is certainly not the Jesus of those Orthodox and Eastern Catholics who see him in ikons and breathe him in incense.

He is the Jesus made over by the European reformers of Britain, the Netherlands, and Germany, and tweaked by the bizarre theology of evangelical born-againers who have made him over in white-face in myth, sermon, and song.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
And Santa?
Well, he must be a member of Big Brother's Five-Eyes network. After all, "He knows when you are sleeping; he knows when you're awake. He knows when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake!" And since he lives at the North Pole, he probably works for the Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC). Mind you, he could be on loan from the British Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) or the American NSA.
So, whom would you hire for that position? A old white guy that exudes bonhomie or an off-colour Turkish dude that could be ...?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The Jesus of the Christian right is most assuredly white.

He is not the pacifistic mendicant rabbi from the Levant who taught his followers to live communally, forgive their enemies, give up their wealth to the poor, and love their fellow man.

He is not even the God-man adopted by the Romans and refined by Italian clerics over the centuries.

He is certainly not the Jesus of those Orthodox and Eastern Catholics who see him in ikons and breathe him in incense.

He is the Jesus made over by the European reformers of Britain, the Netherlands, and Germany, and tweaked by the bizarre theology of evangelical born-againers who have made him over in white-face in myth, sermon, and song.
:wav:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Which begs the question, how do you know Megyn Kelly is right isf even the experts historians on this matter aren't certain? 8O

There is a discredited religious movement called British Israelism that had and still has some popularity among factions of the Church of England and Presbyterianism; it held that Western Europeans are among the ten lost tribes of Israel.
British Israelism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Among their beliefs is the notion that non caucasians are like other animals; they are without souls. Does this remind you of another movement?

For them, Gawd is most definitely white.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Karrie, Karrie, Karrie... people are having fun... people are happy. This is a joyous time of year for so many.

This just cannot be allowed by people who are just miserable.

Another Republican who is convinced Santa is black:

That definitely settles the issue. :)

Yes it does... you're nuts