Harper Agriculture Minister jokes about Listeria

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I didn't realize you weren't smart enough to go back to the post I quoted. You said "Wally you are a classic looser…………….and your mind set is that of a toilet…..
Take that to the Bank…………..and the Bank will tell you have no credit….
I have tried to be civil with you but your little hateful brain has nothing to offer….but venom…"

Does that sound familiar??????

What? he started man, look don’t be a little kid……… I have stated here on this forum that you bark at me I will bark back, you want to be civil I will be civil back…. So, what the f is your problem…….

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Name? Date? link? Why is it your guys get caught red-handed , but if someone you don't like does something, all we have to go on is "Colpy sez so...."
He withdrew as a candidate (in BC). I heard it on the news, don't have a name, but he originally was a member of the marijuna party a number of years ago.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
His name is Dana Larsen,former NDP candidate for West Van-Sunshine. It is up in several locations. I recommend going to Borque's Newswatch to pick up most election news and as an added bonus many newspapers are linked there also. BTW,"Colpy sez so" is a pretty accurate way to pick up info also.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
His name is Dana Larsen,former NDP candidate for West Van-Sunshine. It is up in several locations. I recommend going to Borque's Newswatch to pick up most election news and as an added bonus many newspapers are linked there also. BTW,"Colpy sez so" is a pretty accurate way to pick up info also.

....and he did the right thing and withdrew, what's the issue.

Now how about the agriculture minister withrawing for making a joke about people dying.

Eh, Wot?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Not just 'filmed', HE was filming it....and posting it himself on the web....

Hello, I'm an idiot. Please vote for me!

Yeah, what an idiot, almost as bad as someone trying to get elected making a joke about people dying.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Ok, last time I checked making insensitive remarks is not a criminal offense unlike driving under the influence.

True, but he withdrew, so there is no issue.

I guess making light of peoples deaths is acceptable for the con party.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I cracked jokes and made people laugh at my Dad's funeral. 5 years later, I still miss him and think about him all the time. Gallows humor is how I deal with a grief. This minister may be like that too. At my funeral, I want people to tell funny stories about me as they play "Another one bites the dust" by Queen.

"Death by a thousand cold cuts" was clever. I can understand why some people would be upset, but people should realize that not everyone reacts to bad news the same way. People shouldn't tell other people how to grieve or make judgements based on what appears to be callousness and insensitivity on the surface. Very likely this minister felt bad for the families and possibly responsible.

I have a problem if he tries to cover something up, minimizes the problem, fails to take action or blames someone else... Then his joke is not funny. But if he makes changes to the system to ensure this doesn't happen again or that the reaction time is faster next time around, then he's done his job and his joke was hilarious.

More Gallows Humor:

Know how to make a cat go "WOOF!"?
Gasoline and a match

Know how to make a dog go "NeeOW"?
Put dog in the freezer until frozen and then cut with band saw.

A man with no arms and legs, hanging on the wall is called "Art"

A women with one leg longer that the other is called "Eileen"

They are all here:
http://www.popculturemadness.com/Trivia/

Callousness and insensitivity depends on intent and motivation. If the minister didn't care that people suffered and died, his joke would not be funny. But I doubt that's the case here. Therefore the minister's joke was dark humor and may be his coping mechanism.

This story on the other hand describes people behaving callously. What makes their actions callous and insensitive is their indifference and lack of empathy.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/nov/29/israel

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I cracked jokes and made people laugh at my Dad's funeral. 5 years later, I still miss him and think about him all the time. Gallows humor is how I deal with a grief. This minister may be like that too. At my funeral, I want people to tell funny stories about me as they play "Another one bites the dust" by Queen.

"Death by a thousand cold cuts" was clever. I can understand why some people would be upset, but people should realize that not everyone reacts to bad news the same way. People shouldn't tell other people how to grieve or make judgements based on what appears to be callousness and insensitivity on the surface. Very likely this minister felt bad for the families and possibly responsible.

I have a problem if he tries to cover something up, minimizes the problem, fails to take action or blames someone else... Then his joke is not funny. But if he makes changes to the system to ensure this doesn't happen again or that the reaction time is faster next time around, then he's done his job and his joke was hilarious.

More Gallows Humor:

Know how to make a cat go "WOOF!"?
Gasoline and a match

Know how to make a dog go "NeeOW"?
Put dog in the freezer until frozen and then cut with band saw.

A man with no arms and legs, hanging on the wall is called "Art"

A women with one leg longer that the other is called "Eileen"

They are all here:
http://www.popculturemadness.com/Trivia/

Callousness and insensitivity depends on intent and motivation. If the minister didn't care that people suffered and died, his joke would not be funny. But I doubt that's the case here. Therefore the minister's joke was dark humor and may be his coping mechanism.

This story on the other hand describes people behaving callously. What makes their actions callous and insensitive is their indifference and lack of empathy.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/nov/29/israel

Look, in all fairness your ideal world would be humor 24-7. Others during at a time of sadness can not cure sadness with humorous philosophy...................

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Of course humour is everywhere,sometimes even liberals use the listeria outbreak to make a humourous point. Like this guy,you may have heard of him,his name is Garth Turner. Also,on his blog there is a 'joke' about people 70+ eating cold cuts. This was done two days before Ritz's comments.You have to go to http://www.garth.ca/weblog/page/9/ ,to see the cartoon. The comment is at 1:15 a.m. Do it quick because I have a feeling it won't be up for much longer.Luckily,I have captured the cartoon and have sent it on to a few others.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Doesn't anyone want to defend garth for his little cartoon,or condemn him?

You mean that? That is like a hockey card, it identifies the Conservative careering brand…………..Simply a picture with 1000 words behind it and unfortunately 17 people died as a result of that, this is not an insult that is a great reminder, of how inconsequential food safety is for the Conservatives…..in Ottawa……..

Last edited: