France, Poland want Polanski released on bail

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
What SHOULD happen, is, he should be sent back to the US, and sent to jail for a long long time.

How much time does he have?

Who cares.

He did the crime.

He'll have to be put in protective custody, or he won't last a day.

All them murderers, robbers, violent assaultists, don't like diddlers. Anyone for a poll as to how long he lasts in jail??

Guess Dog, the Bounty Hunter doesn't work in France. Or maybe the bounty wasn't high enough.

8O

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Video: Whoopi says Polanski didn’t commit “rape-rape”

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/09/29/video-whoopi-says-polanski-didnt-commit-rape-rape/

Whoopi has got less brains than her namesake (whoopi-whoopee cushion) the idiot does not understand that Polanski was convicted and about to be sentenced before he ran like the coward he is.

If you didn't catch it, Rex Murphy had a few thoughts on this:

my favourite quote from that rant:

"Now how rape-rape is different from rape is something to torment the wits of a far finer mind than mine..."

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
"And yet, there is a controversy. Many of the international community’s leading lights are rallying to the Free Polanski movement. A petition is circulating with such names as Harvey Weinstein, Martin Scorsese, and Woody Allen on it. (No surprise that Woody’s on board, given that he married his adopted daughter.) The arguments in Polanski’s defense range from lawyerly red herrings to intellectual piffle to horrendous affronts to human decency. Whoopi Goldberg (no relation) dismissed the allegations because she was sure whatever Polanski did, it didn’t amount to “rape rape.”

It all boils down to the fact that Polanski is famous and talented and an Olympian artist, living above the world of mortals. Indeed, if he didn’t rape that girl (and he did) Polanski would still be considered a pig in most normal communities. This is the man who, after all, started dating Nastassja Kinski when she was only 15 and he was in his 40s. His taste for teenage girls is an established fact.

His defenders don’t care. They are above and beyond bourgeois notions of morality, even legality."

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My scepticism is in how the story has gone from Polanski having casting-couch sex with someone who fibbed about her age then running when the judge reneged on his promise - to an innocent little girl being set upon by some delusional con artist who is using the words of a judge's maybe to be an ironclad contract.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
My scepticism is in how the story has gone from Polanski having casting-couch sex with someone who fibbed about her age then running when the judge reneged on his promise - to an innocent little girl being set upon by some delusional con artist who is using the words of a judge's maybe to be an ironclad contract.

You should read the Grand Jury evidence........he plied her with wine and drugs, forced himself on her, orally, vaginally, and anally.......she was THIRTEEN, for God's sake, therefore her innocence (or lack thereof) is not an issue......he admitted to it.....

So the judge MIGHT have had second thoughts about him getting out after 42 days......somehow I think that less of an outrage than child-rapist serving less time than a repeat-offender jay-walker.

If you make a deal with the Devil........jumping out of it is not only good sense, it is the RIGHT thing to do.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You should read the Grand Jury evidence........he plied her with wine and drugs, forced himself on her, orally, vaginally, and anally.......she was THIRTEEN, for God's sake, therefore her innocence (or lack thereof) is not an issue......he admitted to it.....

So the judge MIGHT have had second thoughts about him getting out after 42 days......somehow I think that less of an outrage than child-rapist serving less time than a repeat-offender jay-walker.

If you make a deal with the Devil........jumping out of it is not only good sense, it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Whose side of the story? Exaggeration isn't exactly rocket science, y'know....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Whose side of the story? Exaggeration isn't exactly rocket science, y'know....

I wish you would come out and say what you mean.......I'm not quite sure I understand you, but I think you are hinting around that this was consentual sex....

If so, it seems you don't seem to understand one simple concept......

SHE WAS A CHILD!!!

She was not, legally or morally, CAPABLE of consent.

Much less so under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I wish you would come out and say what you mean.......I'm not quite sure I understand you, but I think you are hinting around that this was consentual sex....

If so, it seems you don't seem to understand one simple concept......

SHE WAS A CHILD!!!

She was not, legally or morally, CAPABLE of consent.

Much less so under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

Don't tell me. Tell the kid. They don't always figure they are one. You're damned straight I'm meaning it might have been consensual. It could have been on his knees and begging for all I know. It happened. They're over it. How does it concern anyone else?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Don't tell me. Tell the kid. They don't always figure they are one. You're damned straight I'm meaning it might have been consensual. It could have been on his knees and begging for all I know. It happened. They're over it. How does it concern anyone else?

So what. She could have been dating an 18 year old boy from school, guess what that boy still would have been charged with statutory rape. But lets not forget the drugs etc.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeah, wolf, blame the kid because she wanted to get in on a little fame and paid for it by being drugged, boozed, and sexually assaulted by a 43 year old ephebophile.
She lied so plying her with drugs and booze and raping her is ok.

And did she actually lie? I don't recall reading about that part.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Did you see blame anyone? Were any of you there? Have any of you ever been tricked?

It is kind of fun reading lynch mob mentality sprout in normally reasonable minds....

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Lone Wolf, I'm a bit surprised to hear your thoughts on this issue. I don't understand how a crime like this becomes less of a crime after the passage of time. How much time? At what point do you suppose she stop being affected by the event? 10 years? 20?

... and as to whether or not she lied about her age, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that all adults who are provided with an opportunity to have sex with someone who MIGHT be underage, really ought to assume the worst.

I don't think this is a lynch mob mentality going on here, but I do think it's an attempt ensure that the passage of time does NOT minimize in any way the severity of the crime.

I shudder to think that somehow he gets away with this - setting an ugly legal precedent.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Lone Wolf, I'm a bit surprised to hear your thoughts on this issue. I don't understand how a crime like this becomes less of a crime after the passage of time. How much time? At what point do you suppose she stop being affected by the event? 10 years? 20?

... and as to whether or not she lied about her age, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that all adults who are provided with an opportunity to have sex with someone who MIGHT be underage, really ought to assume the worst.

I don't think this is a lynch mob mentality going on here, but I do think it's an attempt ensure that the passage of time does NOT minimize in any way the severity of the crime.

I shudder to think that somehow he gets away with this - setting an ugly legal precedent.

It becomes no less a crime. Should it become more a crime than it was on the day it was committed? Why have people automatically assumed an innocent young thing was wrestled from her Barbie dolls and forced by some lecherous old movie guy into things her own Mommy wouldn't do?

There are two sides to every story - and this one takes place in the land of Hollywood fiction. My guess is the truth is much less interesting....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It becomes no less a crime. Should it become more a crime than it was on the day it was committed? Why have people automatically assumed an innocent young thing was wrestled from her Barbie dolls and forced by some lecherous old movie guy into things her own Mommy wouldn't do?

There are two sides to every story - and this one takes place in the land of Hollywood fiction. My guess is the truth is much less interesting....

Okay, let's put this one to bed (so to speak) right now.

the official court transcript of the film director's guilty plea to having sex with an underage California girl. On August 8, 1977 Polanski appeared in Los Angeles Superior Court and copped to a felony count of unlawful sexual intercourse. As seen in the below transcript, he acknowledged being aware that the victim was 13 at the time of their March 1977 encounter

Roman Polanski Plea Transcript - September 28, 2009

Sorry, Lone Wolf, but neither you nor Polanski have a leg to stand on.........

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Was there a deal made? ...as in how the story broke
Did the Judge renege? ...as in how the story broke

Like I said at first, he didn't help his case by running.

For interest sake, did you read the transcript? Pages 12 to 15 are particularly enlightening.........

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
When the story first broke, no I had not read the transcript. Since then, the story has morphed and Polanski has become a monster. Don't get me wrong. As one of the great movie directors, he is certainly capable of crafting and acting out a story.

In my own wild child times in my daze of rock 'n' roll, the pursuit might easily have brought trouble. Fortunately, for me, His Honour agreed that since she was being served at the bar and was sending drinks to my table, it was safe to assume that she was both of legal age and on the make.....

'nuff said....