France, Poland want Polanski released on bail

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
If you look at the details of the sexual assault in 1977 it was much more sinister than the Statutory Rape of a willing participant, although clearly a minor, as it has been portrayed. It involved luring the girl with promises of a photo shoot, and potential screen rolls, intoxicating the girl with drugs and alcohol, forcible confinement, rape and sodomy over the girl's objections. That, then and now, goes well beyond consensual sexual intercourse.. it would be considered a violent rape of a child under current legal parameters.. and would incur heavy prison time.

Polanski is in a situation where he could rescind his guilty plea, to statutory rape, which likely would be allowed because he did it under a plea agreement which the judge subsequently reneged on. You must honour your agreements even in the American Judicial system. But at the same time he could be tried on a much more serious charge of Forcible Rape of a Child. Polanski is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

My guess is some type of deal will be struck though, because his victim, now 45 years old, has expressed no interest in participating in the prosecution. Likely they will be bid the sentence down to year in prison or so, with credit for time served.. and Polanski should consider himself fortunate if that occurs.

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
coldstream

What abut the about the "Pianist" ? I think that was filmed in "Holivoodski" ,Poland .Not bad for a low budget film .

But still low budget, even if well received 'arty' films. I never saw either. I don't know anyone who hasn't seen Chinatown.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
CURRENT legal parameters. Polanski was convicted then. It would be double indemnity to do it again. For evasion of lawful custody, he should be tried. For reneging on his part of the bargain, the judge deserves censure.

Isn't there a Statute of Limitations in the US?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If you look at the details of the sexual assault in 1977 it was much more sinister than the Statutory Rape of a willing participant, although clearly a minor, as it has been portrayed. It involved luring the girl with promises of a photo shoot, and potential screen rolls, intoxicating the the girl with drugs and alcohol, forcible rape and sodomy over the girl's objections. That, then and now, goes well beyond consensual sexual intercourse.. it would be considered a violent rape of a child under current legal parameters.. and would incur heavy prison time.

Polanski is in a situation where he could rescind his guilty plea, to statutory rape, which likely would be allowed because he did it under a plea agreement which the judge subsequently reneged on. You must honour your agreements even in the American Judicial system. But at the same time he could be tried on a much more serious charge of Forcible Rape of a Child. Polanski is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

My guess is some type of deal will be struck though, because his victim, now 45 years old, has expressed no interest in participating in the prosecution. Likely they will be bid the sentense down to year in prison or so, with credit for time served.. and Polanski should consider himself fortunate if that occurs.

Exactly

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
CURRENT legal parameters. Polanski was tried and convicted then. It would be double indemnity to do it again. For evasion of lawful custody, he should be tried. For reneging on his part of the bargain, the judge deserves censure.

Isn't there a Statute of Limitations in the US?

The Statute of Limitations applies only between the time of the crime and the laying of the charge. There are no limitations on prosecution after the charge has been filed, and especially if the accused has fled to avoid that prosecution or serving his sentence.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Since the sentencing never happened, it's pure speculation as to what sentence he would have received, and if it was out of whack, it would have been appealed at the time, based on the deal reached.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Was it OK for him to mess around with a 13 year old?

Is it just because he is Roman Polanski that he is getting support? I assure you none of us would if we were to pull something like this.

She was 13 for crying out loud.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Is it just because he is Roman Polanski that he is getting support? I assure you none of us would if we were to pull something like this.

If "his honour" intended to hang the guy on thumbscrews, he should have been upfront about it. What is honour if a judge can change the rules as he goes along? As far as messing around with a kid, Polanski deserves to pay the price - the one agreed upon.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If "his honour" intended to hang the guy on thumbscrews, he should have been upfront about it. What is honour if a judge can change the rules as he goes along? As far as messing around with a kid, Polanski deserves to pay the price - the one agreed upon.

Well then, he should go back to the US, have his sentencing hearing, and then face the consequences of being a fugitive as well.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well then, he should go back to the US, have his sentencing hearing, and then face the consequences of being a fugitive as well.

He shouldn't have left in the first place - but I can understand why he did. If I sold you a car for one price, then demanded a higher price in Court would that be "honour"?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

You do not get it, he has never served one second in jail. He was convicted supposed to come back to court to begin serving his sentence and he ran. Wonder how you would feel if it was your daughter he raped. No there is no statute of limitations for rape. There was no agreement, only a deal Polanski's lawyer tried to make with the judge.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You do not get it, he has never served one second in jail. He was convicted supposed to come back to court to begin serving his sentence and he ran. Wonder how you would feel if it was your daughter he raped. No there is no statute of limitations for rape. There was no agreement, only a deal Polanski's lawyer tried to make with the judge.

How many seconds are in 42 days?

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
He's a fugitive and a convicted child rapist and needs to face justice for his crime. Individuals who commit sex related crimes against children are the worst of the worst in our society and need to be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law. Extradite him already so he can face the music! :angryfire:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Exactly, and whether she looked 13 or 31 and consented or not doesn't matter. The guy is notorious for his preference for "lolitas", he could have made sure that the girl was at least of the age of majority. It's his bad judgement and carelessness as well as his penchant that got him into the mess in the first place, he should own it like a real man and take what's coming to him. And besides that, his movie-making talents/abilities should have NOTHING to do with it.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Whoopi Calls Polanski Case 'Not Rape-Rape,' Triggers Uproar

Hollywood supporters facing off against angry feminists over sex with teen

(Newser) – Whoopi Goldberg's comment that Roman Polanski's sex with a 13-year-old girl wasn't really "rape-rape" has added fuel to the growing conflagration between the film director's Hollywood supporters and angry feminists. "I know it wasn't rape-rape. I think it was something else, but I don't believe it was rape-rape," Goldberg said on The View. Goldberg also implies that such sex wouldn't have been such a big deal in broad-minded Europe.
"The rest of the world thinks raping kids is a-okay, whoops, our bad, we're just too uptight about drugging people and forcing sex on them," snarks a blogger on Feministe. Meanwhile, it now appears Polanski will likely sit in a Swiss jail for weeks while his court battle unfolds. There had been speculation he would be placed under house arrest at his Swiss chateau, but an official said there has "never been a house arrest in such a situation."