France, Poland want Polanski released on bail

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
France, Poland Backtrack on Polanski Support

Calls for director's release dropped as public backlash grows

(Newser) – The governments of France and Poland are beginning to distance themselves from Roman Polanski amid a public backlash against earlier support for the film director, who holds passports from both countries. In France—where the foreign minister called for Polanski's release earlier this week—a government spokesman said yesterday that the director "is neither above nor beneath the law. There is a legal process underway for a serious affair—the rape of a minor," he added.
In Poland, which also called for the extradition warrant to be dropped, the prime minister told his ministers to show "greater restraint" in defending Polanski. Public opinion in both countries is strongly against Polanski despite the support the director has from leading cultural figures. "This affair will feed the feeling that France’s leaders and its intellectuals live by codes and rules that have nothing to do with ordinary people,” one analyst tells the Financial Times.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
It Wasn't Rape: Sharon Tate's Sis

As Roman Polanski faces months in jail, Hollywood elite rally around him

(Newser) – The sister of Roman Polanski’s murdered second wife, Sharon Tate, says his crime was not rape. "There's rape and then there's rape,” Debra Tate tells MSNBC, and what happened between Polanski and his 13-year-old victim was “a consensual matter.” More from the Polanski saga:

• Fake IDs, disguises, maybe a bad dye job? Not for Roman Polanski. His life on the lam has been one of luxury, from a penthouse in a glitzy Paris shopping district to a vacation chalet at a swanky Swiss ski resort, reports the New York Daily News.

• His life now, however, is markedly different. The jailed director has to get by on five francs (about $4.85) a day, which he uses mainly on phone calls. If he wants extra money, he can make envelopes or cardboard boxes, the Times reports.
  • This new, decidedly less luxe life could go on for months. Though his attorney requested Polanski be released while fighting extradition, Switzerland rarely releases nonresidents. “We are talking about three, four months easily” to go through the appeals process, a prosecutor tells the Los Angeles Times.
  • Polanski does have quite the Hollywood entourage trying to make his prison stint shorter, though. Woody Allen, David Lynch, and Martin Scorsese are among those who have added their names to a petition demanding his immediate release.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Polanski did spend time in jail prior to pleading guilty.

I do not care if he makes great movies, he does...I agree. But he raped a 13 year old and if any one of us did that we would be in jail for a long time. His celebrity status should not be a get out of jail free card.

13! Are you kidding. Why support this guy? These people that do are the same ones that would call another man a rapist and want him castrated but Polanski makes great movies and is one of the beautiful people.

At any rate, I heard on the radio that it is not likely that the Swiss will release Polanski to the US. So he can get his hero's welcome in France.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Don't blame the U.S. remember were to conservative for most of you. Just because your famous is no excuse to escape a crime no matter how long it takes to catch you. Europe protected him all these years with their liberal laws and morals, I hope Canada has not dropped that low also.

Yahoo!

Don't blame it on Europe. It's hardly Europe's fault that France refuses to extradite Polanski. That's like blaming the whole of North America, including Canada, Greenland and the Bahamas, for NORAID raising money for the IRA and for the US government telling the British to release IRA terrorists from their prisons. It's not Britain or Spain or Italy or Holland or Sweden or Belgium or Belarus or San Marino that's refusing to extradite Polanski to the US. It's France, a completely separate nation. And France has no extradition treaty with the US. If he'd lived in countries that have extradition treaties with the US, such as Britain (in Britain's case, we have to extradite criminals the US wants to the US, but the US doesn't extradite criminals Britain wants to Britain, so the US is in no position to complain in this case), then he'd have probably been extradited.

But in this case, France is acting strangely. During the war, France deported 76,000 of its Jews - innocent men, women and children - to Nazi concentration camps. But then when a Jewish guy is accused of sexually molesting a child, the French do nothing.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If, as Polanski claimed, the girl led him to believe she was much older ... and it was the same old Hollywood casting couch story, is it rape?

If he knew, he deserves to wear his testicles for ear rings....

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It Wasn't Rape: Sharon Tate's Sis

As Roman Polanski faces months in jail, Hollywood elite rally around him

I think they had a poll in France where about 70% of those asked think he should face justice. Frankly from what i've seen of the rationales of the Hollywood 'elite', which characterise the crime as 'trivial', and that it is too far in the past, and Polanski's film career is worth special merit and forgiveness, seems to ignore the facts. Frankly i think they will probably diminish what public sympathy exists for Polanski with this type of 'elitist' advocacy.

This was not a case of a precocious lolita, seducing a besotted man in a mid life crisis. Polanski used stealth, cunning, force, and diminished capacity brought on by intoxication to rape and sodomize and 13 year old, lured by the promise of a screen test.

The fact that this is a 32 year old crime holds no water, because it was Polanski who fled justice. It was he who caused the delay, not the justice system.

As to whether an exemplary career and life should play a factor, it should. But only as a mitigating factor in sentencing, not in the prosecution. To do anything else would set up a special class of 'elites' who are beyond the laws and mores of society by right of their talent. That's not going to happen.

As i stated before, i don't think Polanski is going to spend the rest of his life in prison. Judicial misconduct, and the wishes of the victim will abet his cause. But a year of two in jail is likely the least he can look at, given the circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron in Regina

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You know these as facts how? Have you ever dealt with sexually abused people? They seldom forgive their tormentors. Witness people who have to wait decades to get some semblance of justice from the Church. Letting go of the hate is next to impossible. Schemers - or their handlers - hoping for a shot at stardom on the other hand....

The truth lays somewhere along the middle.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
You know these as facts how? Have you ever dealt with sexually abused people? They seldom forgive their tormentors. Witness people who have to wait decades to get some semblance of justice from the Church. Letting go of the hate is next to impossible. Schemers - or their handlers - hoping for a shot at stardom on the other hand....

The truth lays somewhere along the middle.

I think you are mixing your metaphors, lone wolf. ;-)

And all i've stated is that justice system has determined that there is sufficient evidence to warrant prosecution. Let the court system decide whether that is sufficient, beyond a reasonable doubt, to convict.. and take all aggravating and mitigating factors into consideration in sentencing.

I just don't think the fact that he's an 'elite' should dismiss any reckoning of justice.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Exactly, and whether she looked 13 or 31 and consented or not doesn't matter. The guy is notorious for his preference for "lolitas", he could have made sure that the girl was at least of the age of majority. It's his bad judgement and carelessness as well as his penchant that got him into the mess in the first place, he should own it like a real man and take what's coming to him. And besides that, his movie-making talents/abilities should have NOTHING to do with it.
Yup.
Get a grip people. He was 43 and she was 13, a child he plied with Quaaludes, champagne, and lies about a photoshoot for the French Vogue mag. He was charged and pled guilty and then scooted like the cowardly little turd he is.
I see not much difference between Polanski and that sewer slime that lives near here in Bountiful.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

And all i've stated is that justice system has determined their is sufficient evidence to warrant prosecution. Let the court system decide whether that is sufficient, beyond a reasonable doubt, to convict.. and take all aggravating and mitigating factors into consideration in sentencing.

I just don't think the fact that he's an 'elite' should dismiss any reckoning.

If you want to interpret elitism as justification then it is not I who is mixing anything up. It might serve you better to scroll back....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

And all i've stated is that justice system has determined that there is sufficient evidence to warrant prosecution. Let the court system decide whether that is sufficient, beyond a reasonable doubt, to convict..

He was already tried, and plead guilty.

He skipped out before sentencing.

There's no issue about a trial, that's history.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Well, actually he could be convicted of another charge, as wifey said: the charge of unlawful flight to avoid service of lawful process.

Yes, They probably could add unlawful flight to his list of charges. Just hope the don't release him on bail.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
He was already tried, and plead guilty.

He skipped out before sentencing.

There's no issue about a trial, that's history.

I'm not sure that is so. He pled guilty to a reduced charge, on the promise of a plea agreement, which the Judge was apparently going to reneg on. On that basis he might be allowed to withdraw his plea, but at the same time could be recharged with the 6 counts of aggravated sexual assault he was originally charged with. He also has to deal with a charge of Unlawful Flight to Evade Justice, a crime worth several years in prison. At 76 he could face spending the rest of his life in prison.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This Thread "IS" about Roman Polanski and his Arrest. It is "NOT"
about conducting drive-by Immature Personal Attacks on each
other. For those that have participated in this Trolling Stupidity,
you should be embarrassed.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
[SIZE=+1]Here is the link to the whole case. Day by day.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Polanski Named in Rape Charge[/SIZE]​
Originally published in The Washington Post, March 13, 1977
LOS ANGELES, March 12, 1977 — Polish film director Roman Polanski, widower of murdered actress Sharon Tate, was free on bond today on charges of luring a 13-year-old girl to the home of Jack Nicholson under the pretext of photographing her, then drugging and raping her.
Polanski, 43, was arrested by police to Beverly Wilshire Hotel Friday night following the incident Thursday night at Nicholson's Bel Air home.
In addition to the rape charges, Polanski also was booked on suspicion of sodomy, child molestation and furnishing dangerous drugs to a minor. He was released on $2,500 bond pending his arraignment March 18.
Nicholson was reportedly out of town at the time. A spokesman for the district attorney's office told reporters that Polanski recently met the girl's mother and arranged for the girl to pose for some photographs for the French edition of Vogue magazine.
He said Polanski took some pictures at a first photographic session two weeks ago, and among these pictures was one of the girl nude from the waist up.
He said the mother became angry when she saw the picture and questioned her daughter when she returned home from the second photographic session Thursday night. Officers said the girl told her mother that Polanski had given her a tablet of the powerful tranquilizing drug Quaalude.
The director then raped the girl and forced her to commit various sex acts with him, police said.
Polanski made no public comment on his arrest. He surrendered peacefully when he was taken into custody at the hotel.

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
TenPenny (I hope I spelled it correctly) I stand corrected once again.

You GOT ME!!!! I promise to re-admit myself to Grade I.

I just hope that the pedophile you want to protect (now that he is released) is not in my class or even in my neighbourhood of 2009.