Feds green light naked scanners

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
So a guy charging the line in WW1 knowing he will die for God and country is any different? Please...give your head a shake. Like I said they are many things but cowards isn't one of them.

Quite so Avro. It seems to drive some people apoplectic if anything is said about the 9/11 terrorists that does not denounce them soundly. That is patent nonsense.

While 9/11 terrorist were evil beings and they were the lowest of low life, they did have some attributes that cannot really be considered totally evil. They can be used to do good or evil, and they decided to use them to do evil.

One is bravery and nerves of steel. 9/11 was a complicated operation; it needed plenty of thought and planning. And they had to do it knowing that they were planning their own death. To me, that constitutes an act of bravery. As you point out, this is no different than a pilot in WWII going out on a mission, knowing that the situation is hopeless, he probably is going to die, but he was going to make life as difficult as he could for the Nazis.

Suicide itself is an act requiring plenty of courage. A person goes against the most basic, the strongest of instincts when committing suicide, the instinct of self preservation. I think it takes plenty of courage to commit suicide. Bu then to plan one’s suicide months in advance, make meticulous preparation for the mission knowing that you were facing certain death, that needs even more courage.

Another is keeping cool under enormous stress. When the terrorists got up that morning, got ready, drove to the airport, knowing that it was going to be the last day of their lives, I am sure they were under plenty of stress. But they performed flawlessly under stress.

Another attribute displayed by the terrorists (I wouldn’t call them virtues, as I said they could be used to do good or do evil, and they decided to use these attributes to do evil) is integrity. Not only they stayed true to their mission to the very end, I remember reading that Mohammed Atta sent back the leftover money (around 7000 $) to the financier in UAE.

Another is persistence and a sense of duty. These terrorists did not know how to fly planes when the embarked on the mission, they had to learn to fly. They actually enrolled in flying schools. They took lessons to build their upper body strength. They had plenty of persistence.

It will be senseless to deny that the terrorists possessed these qualities. Now as I said, they used them for evil purposes. But I don’t understand this philosophy that one has to constantly badmouth the terrorists or one is not considered patriotic. Bill Maher got into trouble for something similar to what I am saying here.

So to summarize, the terrorists were low life, the scum of the earth, the ultimate in evil, one could almost say the Disciples of Satan. On the other hand, they were brave, courageous, meticulous, persistent and were able to work well under enormous amount of stress.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Knew you would bring that up. Germany was in a war of agression, the Allies were defenders. Dresden may or may not have been a legitimate target, likewise the S.S. Caribou, the Sydney NS - Port Au Basques NL passenger ferry. Illegitimate targets will get hit in a major war, but not usually intentionally. Not all is fair, as war crimes trials show. I certainly hope you're not suggesting people pressure their governments to appease the Islamists.

Allies had air superiority and Germany was in her death throes at the time of Dresden - but that isn't the topic of which we speak.

Appease them? To Hell with that. That hands them another win. My issue is in referring to these soldiers in a war unfamiliar to our too-cozy ways as cowards. In my opinion, it is expecting a way that works for one to become the standard of the world that is the cause of all the heat. Misuse of the word "coward" is a shining example.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quite so Avro. It seems to drive some people apoplectic if anything is said about the 9/11 terrorists that does not denounce them soundly. That is patent nonsense.

While 9/11 terrorist were evil beings and they were the lowest of low life, they did have some attributes that cannot really be considered totally evil. They can be used to do good or evil, and they decided to use them to do evil.

One is bravery and nerves of steel. 9/11 was a complicated operation; it needed plenty of thought and planning. And they had to do it knowing that they were planning their own death. To me, that constitutes an act of bravery. As you point out, this is no different than a pilot in WWII going out on a mission, knowing that the situation is hopeless, he probably is going to die, but he was going to make life as difficult as he could for the Nazis.

Suicide itself is an act requiring plenty of courage. A person goes against the most basic, the strongest of instincts when committing suicide, the instinct of self preservation. I think it takes plenty of courage to commit suicide. Bu then to plan one’s suicide months in advance, make meticulous preparation for the mission knowing that you were facing certain death, that needs even more courage.

Another is keeping cool under enormous stress. When the terrorists got up that morning, got ready, drove to the airport, knowing that it was going to be the last day of their lives, I am sure they were under plenty of stress. But they performed flawlessly under stress.

Another attribute displayed by the terrorists (I wouldn’t call them virtues, as I said they could be used to do good or do evil, and they decided to use these attributes to do evil) is integrity. Not only they stayed true to their mission to the very end, I remember reading that Mohammed Atta sent back the leftover money (around 7000 $) to the financier in UAE.

Another is persistence and a sense of duty. These terrorists did not know how to fly planes when the embarked on the mission, they had to learn to fly. They actually enrolled in flying schools. They took lessons to build their upper body strength. They had plenty of persistence.

It will be senseless to deny that the terrorists possessed these qualities. Now as I said, they used them for evil purposes. But I don’t understand this philosophy that one has to constantly badmouth the terrorists or one is not considered patriotic. Bill Maher got into trouble for something similar to what I am saying here.

So to summarize, the terrorists were low life, the scum of the earth, the ultimate in evil, one could almost say the Disciples of Satan. On the other hand, they were brave, courageous, meticulous, persistent and were able to work well under enormous amount of stress.
roflmao You haven't a clue what drives a fanatic, have you? Have you ever taken a risk on something other than your investments in your whole life? As you once said, you weren't even into sports in school. So I doubt you'd ever been dedicated enough to risk breaking a fingernail. And yet you presume to tell us about how religious fanatics behave and feel? roflmao
Yeah it takes a lot of guts to plot, plan, threaten a bunch of civilians on a plane with weapons, take over controls of a plane on autopilot, and fly it into a building when you know you won't feel a thing. :roll:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Last edited:

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009
George Carlin summed this up well

"[FONT=arial,helvetica]As far as I’m concerned, all of this airport security – the cameras, the questions, the screening, the searches, is just one more way of reducing your liberty and reminding you they can **** with you anytime they want, as long as you’re willing to put up with it. Which means, of course, anytime they want. Because that’s the way Americans are now. They’re always willing to trade away a little of their freedom for the feeling – the illusion – of security."[/FONT]

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You're a woman; how could you know what it takes balls to do or not do?
I pointed out once that I have more balls than Pompas ,,,, ooops, sir joke. :D
I have a few soccer balls in the shed I use for my girls to practise with. I also have a hubby with balls, so according to the gov't they are just as much mine as his. :D
So, again I'll ask you; how would you know whether it takes balls or not?

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009
I dont have a problem with them if it makes the skys safe from cowards that want to kill innocent people in the name of their god because were considered infidels in their religion.

you seem to be the coward. very fearful of terrorists when the odds of you being killed by one is practically zero. i say live a little and enjoy the show.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Allies had air superiority and Germany was in her death throes at the time of Dresden - but that isn't the topic of which we speak.

Appease them? To Hell with that. That hands them another win. My issue is in referring to these soldiers in a war unfamiliar to our too-cozy ways as cowards. In my opinion, it is expecting a way that works for one to become the standard of the world that is the cause of all the heat. Misuse of the word "coward" is a shining example.

Germany had the first operational jet fighter and was very close to developing the "bomb", but I digress. I think cowardace involves more of the state of mind. These clowns aren't soldiers, they are fanatics. Having chosen their fate supposedly by their own free will, may show that they have no fear, but what they do afterward can't be termed bravery. The fact that they face no fear of mortal danger in executing their plan, and in fact knowing any resistance would be limited is kind of shooting someone in the back and then shooting yourself in the head, is, to me at least, cowardly. Kind of up there with the Marc Lepine's of the world.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
George Carlin summed this up well

"[FONT=arial,helvetica]As far as I’m concerned, all of this airport security – the cameras, the questions, the screening, the searches, is just one more way of reducing your liberty and reminding you they can **** with you anytime they want, as long as you’re willing to put up with it. Which means, of course, anytime they want. Because that’s the way Americans are now. They’re always willing to trade away a little of their freedom for the feeling – the illusion – of security."[/FONT]
Funny guy, George Carlin. But why would people even let it bother them? What freedom is being taken away by walking through a scanner? Privacy? You'd be in a public airport for Pete's sake. How do you know they don't have cams in the washrooms?

justinmb

Nominee Member
Oct 21, 2009
winnipeg
stuff like this always provokes discussion on the thought process behind the terrorists rather than our own thoughts on why we submit to it. I personally do not care if they are brave or a coward the result is the same and the result is that our own government treats us all like we are guilty and it allows them to impose rules and laws that are unjust to all free citizens.

I fear at the end of the day it is all about money and power and it is our own governments that profit from it as much as the terrorist and it is the little guys like us who become the pawns in their struggle.

lets face facts Canada is in no danger of being taken over by some militant Islamist's or muslims or any body like that we should keep a closer eye on our neighbor the US because they will conquer us through assimilation and that is much more insidious we will wake up and be the next group of states

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Germany had the first operational jet fighter and was very close to developing the "bomb", but I digress. I think cowardace involves more of the state of mind. These clowns aren't soldiers, they are fanatics. Having chosen their fate supposedly by their own free will, may show that they have no fear, but what they do afterward can't be termed bravery. The fact that they face no fear of mortal danger in executing their plan, and in fact knowing any resistance would be limited is kind of shooting someone in the back and then shooting yourself in the head, is, to me at least, cowardly. Kind of up there with the Marc Lepine's of the world.
I agree. Being the antithesis of a coward, IMO, would be risking a lifetime of misery to accomplish something you haven't had time to think about. Plotting crap like what these people do gives them plenty of time to be conditioned into dumping their fears.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What do they call our soldiers? To my way of thinking, a soldier is a person in uniform who is prepared to die for the country if necessary. To their way of thinking, maybe not. Their way of life isn't right by us. Our way of life isn't right by them. Maybe it's time for everyone to stop believing their way is right for the whole world. That isn't going to happen by pissing off the other guys.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
stuff like this always provokes discussion on the thought process behind the terrorists rather than our own thoughts on why we submit to it. I personally do not care if they are brave or a coward the result is the same and the result is that our own government treats us all like we are guilty and it allows them to impose rules and laws that are unjust to all free citizens.
You'd prefer if gov'ts didn't work towards protecting their peoples?

I fear at the end of the day it is all about money and power and it is our own governments that profit from it as much as the terrorist and it is the little guys like us who become the pawns in their struggle.
How would gov'ts profit by spending loads on defensive equipments and procedures?

lets face facts Canada is in no danger of being taken over by some militant Islamist's or muslims or any body like that we should keep a closer eye on our neighbor the US because they will conquer us through assimilation and that is much more insidious we will wake up and be the next group of states
That's a fact, is it? I have no more fear of being assimilated into an American culture than I have of turning into Yosemite Sam.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
you seem to be the coward. very fearful of terrorists when the odds of you being killed by one is practically zero. i say live a little and enjoy the show.

Who's scared?
I'm not and I used to fly about 50,000 miles a year.
It's no skin off my nads if I have to walk through a scanner and unlike you who thinks everyone is as paranoid as yourself,most other people arent scared.

Try again.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It sure ain't bravery, which requires action in the face of fear for a life you don't wish to lose. This sort of cowardace is no different to the individual than sitting in your car in the garage with the engine running or eating your gun. These cowards place so little value on human life that they are willing to take others along with them for some promise of reward in the afterlife, rather than face life and the challenges it delivers. But the real cowards are the ones who recruit the suicide bombers and hide away rather than face their opponents.

You got it exactly right Bob, it's a shame that about 75% of the discussion on the forum has to be generated by 3 or 4 wingnuts.

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009
Who's scared?
I'm not and I used to fly about 50,000 miles a year.
It's no skin off my nads if I have to walk through a scanner and unlike you who thinks everyone is as paranoid as yourself,most other people arent scared.

Try again.

you're very fearful. any citizen who approves of these scanners is fearful. you're consistent lying to yourself isn't healthy.