FBI memo reports Guantanamo guards flushing Koran

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
DasFX said:
peapod said:
Rev2 will not be joining us any longer
Censoring people who disagree doesn't promote good discussion. What were his crimes?
DaxFX ... Rev2 was not banned for disagreeing. He was banned for his behaviour then insisted on returning under variations of Rev's name with one intent: To cause trouble.

We do not ban people for opinions here. I don't even think that is in question. What we do ban for is polluting the pool with character assassination, personal attacks, and behaving inappropriately. We don't ban outright, we give people the opportunity to share their side of the story, we consult with other moderators before banning so no one gets booted in a fit of temper, we warn people (often with PM so it is not a public thing), and we ban as last resort. Exceptions to this are outright racism, spam or indecency, but that is reasonable.

Do you truly feel there has been unfairness? Or is it, perhaps, that you haven't been privvy to all sides of the story? It's a genuine question, btw.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"By definition, the Holy Bible/Quran/Torah/Rig Veda/Etc. should be considered hate literature under the Criminal Code of Canada. "

Bye Bye freedom of speech. Don't worry about packing a lunch, you won't be needing one where your going.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
RE: FBI memo reports Guan

They do all preach intolerance of other groups, Jay. Violence and killing have been carried out in their names and there are radical groups from all sides that use holy books to justify their violent actions.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
And of course the left's answer is disarm the public, burn the books, step on freedom of speech.....

Suprise, suprise.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Because there is no movement to disarm the public, we don't ban books, and we have full freedom of speech.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: FBI memo reports Guantanamo guards flushing Koran

Jay said:
And of course the left's answer is disarm the public, burn the books, step on freedom of speech.....

Suprise, suprise.

Ok, so let me get this straight Jay. You think it's a good thing that Ca nada's consitution protects religious organizations' right to discriminate?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, are far more important than two guys who want to get married in a particular church by a particular minister, or you wanting to burn certain books, because they don’t fit in with the new stupid laws.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Jay, I seriously doubt that you will find many gays that want to marry in church, it silly to think that they would knowing how churches feels and preaches hate about them. I really don't think christians have to worry about gays wanting to marry in their church. I mean christians who follow whatever book they read, are still going to feel the same way about gays even if they are allowed to marry. Sad, but true I think.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Jay, I seriously doubt that you will find many gays that want to marry in church, it silly to think that they would knowing how churches feels and preaches hate about them. I mean christians who follow whatever book they read, are still going to feel the same way about gays even if they are allowed to marry. Sad, but true I think.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Although I think your right, Pea, it isn't a far stretch of the imagination that some Christian hating lesbians decide to make a point, and take a church to court on discrimination charges. All it takes is a few left leaning judges and poof, there go your rights. This has already happened in the advertising industry, and no one protected the advertising agencies right to print what they wanted to on their own printers, or their freedom of religion, or their freedom of speech. It is only a matter of time before the left does away with freedom of religion as they have started to do with freedom of speech.

BTW, there are religious gay people and churches that will marry them. I think the United Church will across board.

peapod said:
knowing how churches feels and preaches hate about them.

I didn't know you attended church. :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Course I went to church jay, what kid didn't. Do you really think I make my beliefs based on nothing. Truth is, I just could not buy any of it, sorry, thats the way my minds works. Although the minister was nice, but I did notice that when ever you asked any real questions, his answers never worked for me. I will give you an example. He had a map of the world on the wall, he had different coloured thumb tacks covering all parts of the world. Now each thumb tack re-presented one of his childern, he had 8, 2 sets of twins. Each thumb tack re-presented where each of his childern were going to be missionaries when they grew up. Well I happen to know for a fact that bruce one of his sons wanted to be a fireman. I pointed this out to him. But he told me that bruce would not be a fireman, he would be a missionary. But what if he does not want to be a missionary I asked him? Well, he is going to be a missionary! The more I asked why would he have to be a missionary, if he did not want to be, the more upset he became. This was the first dawning I had that all was not kosher. Although I was young, I was always allowed to question everything, and even if I would not have been allowed to question, I would have anyway...I was and am still willful. Tis the burden I carry.

Anyway, what will be will be.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Jay said:
I think freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, are far more important than two guys who want to get married in a particular church by a particular minister, or you wanting to burn certain books, because they don’t fit in with the new stupid laws.

Jay,

Freedom of speech has always had limits, in that it is protected only so far as when it infringes upon the rights of an individual or group. The freedom of religion provisions in the Charter protect churches from the same actions we would take against the KKK or any other organization that incites hatred.

So, by your own admission, it is more important to you that people be allowed to express their hatred towards individuals or groups, than it is to strive for equality.

You must have been appalled at the outcome of the Ernst Zundel hearing and will in Ottawa to protest the conviction of David Ahenakew on hate crimes...

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

moghrabi said:
Look at it another way. If this was the Jewish holy book, what do you think would have happened? They will scream another Holocaust. The whole world will come to their side.

Nonsense. You say that like it's never happened - which in and of itself disproves your point. Anti-semitic desecrations take place every day. People consider it too routine to even pay any attention beyond a perfunctory "that's horrible".

Just a few examples from a quick google search - and this does not even include the widely reported <repeated> desecration of Joseph's Tomb and the destruction of the Buddhas in Afghanistan:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44324

Islamic terrorists holed up in Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity reportedly used the Bible as toilet paper

http://www.cnsnews.com/ForeignBureaus/archive/200505/FOR20050519d.html

Speaking in general about how Jewish people would react to the idea of a desecration, Jonathan Rosenblum, an ultra-Orthodox Jew who runs Jewish Media Resource, said Jews would not retaliate to desecration by rampaging.

"How would that desecration have been helped by killing people?" asked Rosenblum.

Jewish books have been desecrated throughout the ages, and while that is treated with great seriousness, he said, it would not have prompted killing.

"No one has ever been killed [over a desecration]," Rosenblum said. "There have been desecrations here in shuls [synagogues]," he said. "It provoked rending of garments."

During the 39-day siege, in which the militants held clergy captive, militants reportedly urinated on the floor, used pages of the Bible as toilet paper and stole all the gold and other religious ornaments they could find.

When the militants left, the Christian response was to clean the place in time for Sunday Mass.

http://www.jewishcomment.com/cgibin/news.cgi?id=13&command=shownews&newsid=282

Public Security Minister Uzi Landau, who controls the police who have jurisdiction there, continues to insist that the Muslims are NO LONGER destroying Jewish artifacts in order to build additional Muslim structures on the Mount. But according to the Committee Against the Destruction of Antiquities on the Temple Mount (which, led by Hebrew University archaeologist Eilat Mazav, is the most vocal of the opponents of the Muslim Waqf, the trust that operates Muslim holdings ), a 12-foot-long stone cutter of the type used in quarries has been taken up to the Temple Mount (where at present no non-Muslim is permitted to go) and is being used to destroy ancient architectural remains. Cut in slices, the ancient stones are suitable for use in new Muslim buildings.

http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_article=36&x_context=7

Muslim Authorities Destroy Remains of Jewish Temples on Temple Mount

While Israel has been falsely charged with plotting to destroy or undermine the Mosques of the Temple Mount by opening the new doorway to the Hasmonean Tunnel, the media has largely ignored the Muslim authority's destruction of remains of the Jewish Temples on the Temple Mount. According to Biblical Archaeological Review (Sept./Oct. 1991) the ancient remains, which predate Islam by thousands of years, included a "Herodian wall 16 feet long and 6 feet wide ... [which was partially] dismantled and the rest covered up" by the Muslim authorities. Other evidence of the Jews' presence on the Temple Mount was "covered up by dirt and plantings" or had been "covered by paving."

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/antisem0101.html

During January 2001 the trend of frequent incidents against Jewish communities continued. Conspicuous was the number of attacks against Jewish individuals.

The involvement of Islamic/Arab elements in anti-Jewish activity was also prominent.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"You must have been appalled"

I think anyone who believes in freedom of speech would be.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
RE: FBI memo reports Guan

You mentioned the destruction of the Buddhas in Afghanistan, Just the Facts. There were worldwide campaigns to stop that. There have also been campaigns, within and without the Jewish community, to stop the destruction of ancient Jewish relics and religious sites.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: FBI memo reports Guan

Derry McKinney said:
You mentioned the destruction of the Buddhas in Afghanistan, Just the Facts. There were worldwide campaigns to stop that. There have also been campaigns, within and without the Jewish community, to stop the destruction of ancient Jewish relics and religious sites.

I wonder though, what is being done about the Buddhists attacking Chistians in Sri Lanka...

Buddhists I tell you... 8O