FBI memo reports Guantanamo guards flushing Koran

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: FBI memo reports Guan

Derry McKinney said:
There were worldwide campaigns to stop that. There have also been campaigns, within and without the Jewish community, to stop the destruction of ancient Jewish relics and religious sites.

There are worldwide campaigns to stop the destruction of all kinds of things. That's hardly the point here.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
RE: FBI memo reports Guan

There are worldwide campaigns to stop the destruction of all kinds of things. That's hardly the point here.

Since you were going after Moghrabi for not giving enough attention to such things, it is exacxtly the point.

I wonder though, what is being done about the Buddhists attacking Chistians in Sri Lanka...

Buddhists I tell you

Remember, those Buddhist monks invented Kung Fu and were the root cause of the world having to sit through David Carradine's career. ;-)

If you get any group of true believers together, they'll try to do in the true believers next door the first chance they get.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Derry McKinney said:
Since you were going after Moghrabi for not giving enough attention to such things, it is exacxtly the point.

Going after Moghrabi? :)

I've had many debates with Moghrabi here and though I disagree with him on many issues, I have a great deal of respect for him. I would never "go after" him.

I don't know why I bother, but here goes: to clarify - the POINT is that Jews (and other groups that I took the Liberty of including in my response - so as not to be exclusive of any party) are not "screaming another holocaust" over one - ONE - 1 - desecration...let alone the multitudes of desecrations that are known to have taken place.

Worldwide campaigns are very heartwarming, but not relevant to this discussion.

Gotta go now so you have a chance to rev up a response.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm

Going after, debating, naysaying, arguing with, denying...whatever you want to call it.

I assume that he was using wordplay to get his point across. The Jews, and other groups who have had their religious icons defaced and/or debased have been just as vocal as the greater Muslim community has been about this.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

My sister is Buddhist........the things I could tell you about her when she was young......er.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Derry McKinney said:
The Jews, and other groups who have had their religious icons defaced and/or debased have been just as vocal as the greater Muslim community has been about this.

15 to 17 people dead over an alleged incident - that's some wicked "vocal". Or is that a worldwide campaign.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm

Those 17 deaths have as much to do with US actions in the Middle East as they do with this particular incident. This is really just the latest straw and the strain is starting to show on Joe Camel.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Here's another perspective about the sensitivity of religion:

February 2001.

Almost 7 months before the fated day of 9/11.

The Taliban set sights on two Buddha statues carved in the cliffs near the Kyber Pass in Afghanistan.

The two largest.

The two oldest, Buddha statues in the world.

Gunned down. Destroyed.

No outcry from the Buddhists.

Silence.

You heard from National Geographic. You heard from the people of every western democracy. You heard from the lovers of history.

You heard nothing from the Buddhists.

Imagine any Christian or Muslim icon getting that treatment ?

Understand that the trifecta of religions from the Middle East (Jews, Christians, Muslims) all taught us to have little faith in icons, in idolatry?

And so, once again imagine if any Christian or Muslim icon received such similar treatment as the Taliban did to the oldest and largest Buddha icons in the world?

Well all of you know the answer to that.

Kathianne

May 29, 2005
Chicao Area
Re: RE: FBI memo reports Guantanamo guards flushing Koran

Vanni Fucci said:
Jay said:
"You must have been appalled"

I think anyone who believes in freedom of speech would be.

So then, by that same token, I could publish pamphlets inciting hatred towards Christians, and this would, by your own assertions, be acceptable.

It's been done, it's called the Koran.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: FBI memo reports Guantanamo guards flushing Koran

Vanni Fucci said:
Jay said:
"You must have been appalled"

I think anyone who believes in freedom of speech would be.

So then, by that same token, I could publish pamphlets inciting hatred towards Christians, and this would, by your own assertions, be acceptable.

I think worse has happened and I support your freedom of speech, not just mine. It is a fundamental freedom.

Freedom of speech is not there to protect general ideas already accepted by the populist; it is there to protect the not so popular speech and ideas.

I believe in the people to make their own decision on what is acceptable and what is not. Why criminalize the "village idiot"? Why not just ignore it if you don't agree with it or find it offensive….. or offer an alternative? I also believe in self censorship. If you think it is offensive, then you might consider twice about publishing it, but if you feel it is something you have to say, then say it. But I sure don’t want to have the government making up the “truth” and having everyone tow the line and not step outside of it. See, I was under the impression that that was one of the glories about fighting the Nazism in Europe, was to protect such freedoms. Now Canadians want to ban the practice of freedom of speech…. Go figure. This complacency is how we got to paying over half of our money to taxes, now goes freedom of speech. What’s next, search and seizure without warrants, and cancelled elections?

How far along would we be in society if we didn't have freedom of speech? Do you think any atheist ideas would have made their way into mainstream society?

Jay said:
Since many on the left around here like to call on the "hate laws" and since Mods around here arn't likly to pick up on this sort of behavior, I thought I would mention what is really happening here.

PoisonPete2 said:
However, at some point these religious groups may be seen as spreading hate against individuals. We have laws against such activity.

Derry McKinney said:
maybe we should buy some lions....

Derry McKinney said:
Time to buy lions?

Vanni Fucci said:
Lions and a whole lot of Prozac, most likely...unsedated, I don't think they'll go too willingly...

Some of these posts are calling for Christians to be thrown to the lions, meaning these posts are calling for the death of (in part or in whole) Christians. I say Christians for two reasons: 1.) They represent the largest religious group (or groups) in Canada. 2.) The historical context of using lions (by the Romans) to kill Christians.

Hate Propaganda

318. (1) Every one who advocates or promotes genocide is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

(2) In this section, "genocide" means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy in whole or in part any identifiable group, namely,

(a) killing members of the group; or

(b) deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction.

(4) In this section, "identifiable group" means any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.

319. (2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Aren't stupid laws fun?

Isn't this hate propaganda demonstrated here?