Electric Vehicles Could be Worth $3.6 Billion to the Ontario Economy

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know a guy who drove coats to coast in America in 48 hours.

The key is the super charging network and of course being able to drive an EV properly.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/5/20751975/ev-cannonball-run-record-broken-twice-2019

The electric vehicle Cannonball Run record was broken twice in one month

Both record-breakers drove Tesla Model 3 long-range RWDs
Not across Canada though, and not in February crossing Canada. Until this guy sells this toy (& it is Very Cool!!!), it's not leaving a radius of more than Regina to Saskatoon from his home without a night at a fast charger.

We have a wedding to get to this month in Vernon BC (assuming the provincial borders stay open to non-essential travel, etc...) from Regina & back. I'm going to say that a full electric vehicle would be at best impractical for this trip. We'll take our little SUV and be there in about 15 hours from leaving home (two drivers) with very little contact with anyone outside of our bubble (COVID Times...) and the same on the way home with an electric cooler & a bed in the back (SUV is a 7 seater & it's the smallest vehicle we own, with the best mileage & the best stereo) to minimize outside contact. That's pretty tough to do with an electric vehicle.

The Tesla Model 3 has a range of about 400km (& you don't want to run it out to the full 400kms 'cuz you'd be in the middle of nowhere) in optimal conditions with about 8-10 hour charge time on the 220V charge. It would take about 3-4 times as long to get from Regina to Vernon BC in an electric vehicle like this currently than it would with an ICE vehicle. Same on the way back home. This is in the summer also and not factoring in the fact that BC (or Western Alberta) isn't exactly flat. That's just the reality of 'now' but someday (hopefully sooner than later) they'll be even more awesome than they are now.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
anyone who is serious about cars loves ev's
They're awesome, but a niche vehicle like our old modified Dodge Dakota. If I need to haul home 1500lbs of rock per load, or to absolutely blow the doors of a 'Too Fast Somewhat Furious' kid in a turbo-charged shoe-box....it's exactly the right vehicle, but I'm not going to take it on a 30hr road trip in a short span of time if I can use something else with better mileage and creature comforts.

With our current state of infrastructure for an EV, it's just not practical beyond commuting as an all purpose vehicle. That will change, but it's not a reality here and now yet. EV's a very cool for the most part, but unless you have one as a secondary commuter vehicle behind an all purpose ICE vehicle, they're not a viable alternative for most of us.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
They're awesome, but a niche vehicle like our old modified Dodge Dakota. If I need to haul home 1500lbs of rock per load, or to absolutely blow the doors of a 'Too Fast Somewhat Furious' kid in a turbo-charged shoe-box....it's exactly the right vehicle, but I'm not going to take it on a 30hr road trip in a short span of time if I can use something else with better mileage and creature comforts.

With our current state of infrastructure for an EV, it's just not practical beyond commuting as an all purpose vehicle. That will change, but it's not a reality here and now yet. EV's a very cool for the most part, but unless you have one as a secondary commuter vehicle behind an all purpose ICE vehicle, they're not a viable alternative for most of us.
If you want to go to a more fuel efficient car for a road trip the EVs get tremendous mileage.

Whether they are a viable alternative or not they are here now and they are the future beyond any doubt.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you want to go to a more fuel efficient car for a road trip the EVs get tremendous mileage.
Whether they are a viable alternative or not they are here now and they are the future beyond any doubt.
I still work for a living though I don’t have 3 to 4 days to drive each way but I could do it with a gasoline powered vehicle in one day each way for this road trip. I want to spend my time at my Destiination instead of charging the batteries getting to and from my Destination. The model 3 T is pretty cool though.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I still work for a living though I don’t have 3 to 4 days to drive each way but I could do it with a gasoline powered vehicle in one day each way for this road trip. I want to spend my time at my Destiination instead of charging the batteries getting to and from my Destination. The model 3 T is pretty cool though.
What you actually do is charge them at your destination while you are doing all the fun stuff you went there to do.

That's called destination charging.

Our local grocery store has two spots just for charging. 1 dollar and hour for the first 2 hours then 2 dollars an hour after that.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What you actually do is charge them at your destination while you are doing all the fun stuff you went there to do.
That's called destination charging.
Our local grocery store has two spots just for charging. 1 dollar and hour for the first 2 hours then 2 dollars an hour after that.
We are driving from Regina Saskatchewan to Central BC in each direction it’s 1700 km. With a max 400 km range between charging with an EV like the Tesla model three.... it’s just not feasible with the time constraints and wanting to actually enjoy time at our Destination. One of our daughters is getting married and we would like to spend the time there with her and the grandkids instead of waiting while the car charges repeatedly there and back. The day will come with these things make sense for the rest of us outside of large metropolitan areas and for vacations and so on and so forth but it’s just not now for us for practicality.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The Tesla Model 3 has a range of about 400km (& you don't want to run it out to the full 400kms 'cuz you'd be in the middle of nowhere) in optimal conditions with about 8-10 hour charge time on the 220V charge. It would take about 3-4 times as long to get from Regina to Vernon BC in an electric vehicle like this currently than it would with an ICE vehicle. Same on the way back home. This is in the summer also and not factoring in the fact that BC (or Western Alberta) isn't exactly flat. That's just the reality of 'now' but someday (hopefully sooner than later) they'll be even more awesome than they are now.
The 400 Kms range does not include using your air conditioning at the same time (which has a huge power demand).
EVs are still only good for local short driving distances.
I would still class EVs as an expensive adult toy.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not that we own an electric vehicle ourselves, but with a trip of 1700 km in each direction, and a maximum range of 400 km for something like the Tesla model three... and you don’t want to run it completely down because you’ll end up dead on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.... With a charge time of 8 to 10 hours at 220 V.... It would take days to get from Regina Saskatchewan to Vernon BC... end it would take days to get home afterwards... and that’s just not feasible for somebody was taking a week off to go visit their grandchildren and go to a wedding at the BC Destination. Electric cars are pretty cool and accelerate like nobody’s business but the practicality isn’t there for something like we want to do in the immediate future at this point in time.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
We are driving from Regina Saskatchewan to Central BC in each direction it’s 1700 km. With a max 400 km range between charging with an EV like the Tesla model three.... it’s just not feasible with the time constraints and wanting to actually enjoy time at our Destination. One of our daughters is getting married and we would like to spend the time there with her and the grandkids instead of waiting while the car charges repeatedly there and back. The day will come with these things make sense for the rest of us outside of large metropolitan areas and for vacations and so on and so forth but it’s just not now for us for practicality.
You should fly and rent a car there.

3400 miles at 100KM/hr is 34 hours of driving.

Why would anyone do that?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/findus?...tore,service,supercharger,destination charger
Lots of superchargers along your route.
If you can drive across America in 48 hours you can certainly go from Regina to central BC and back no problem.
But as I mentioned you have to know how to drive an EV.

To convince Ron and his buddy can you point out a super charger every 400km ( about 4 locations in the 1700km trip), in the Canadian West, between Regina and Vernon BC, I'm sure others would be interested as well

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Enjoy those gas station rest rooms.
We are quite self-sufficient prairie folks (I’ve worked in gravel pits for years and my girlfriend grew up in the Yukon), where I think We can avoid those gas station bathrooms if push came to shove without any undue inconvenience Or hardship if needed).
Better than sitting by the side of the road with an electrical cord in hand asking for a charge
I think they call that a gas powered generator. Isn’t that the equivalent of a jerrycan for an electric vehicle?
I seriously I’m not getting on an airplane anytime in the immediate future with recycled air in an Enclosed tube CallEd the airline body. The rates of Covid on airplanes is not something I’m willing to deal with at this point in time but thank you all.
We will have a mattress in the back of the SUV and an electric cooler, about 250 fresh songs for the stereo, and this vehicle gets between nine and 10 L per hundred kilometres so we can get out there and back on about $300 worth of fuel without the side helping of Covid from the airlines. Transit time is about 3/4 of a day each way doing it our way.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
We are quite self-sufficient prairie folks (I’ve worked in gravel pits for years and my girlfriend grew up in the Yukon), where I think We can avoid those gas station bathrooms if push came to shove without any undue inconvenience Or hardship if needed). I think they call that a gas powered generator. Isn’t that the equivalent of a jerrycan for an electric vehicle?
I seriously I’m not getting on an airplane anytime in the immediate future with recycled air in an Enclosed tube CallEd the airline body. The rates of Covid on airplanes is not something I’m willing to deal with at this point in time but thank you all.
We will have a mattress in the back of the SUV and an electric cooler, about 250 fresh songs for the stereo, and this vehicle gets between nine and 10 L per hundred kilometres so we can get out there and back on about $300 worth of fuel without the side helping of Covid from the airlines. Transit time is about 3/4 of a day each way doing it our way.
Is there a resident in BC who doesn't welcome travellers from other provinces coming here and pissing and shitting on the side of the road?