Electric Vehicles Could be Worth $3.6 Billion to the Ontario Economy

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Which is easier, banking existing tracks or building a car that slides to the inside of the corner and tips so your drink doesn't fall over. Get to the 'station' and you drive your EV off the platform and for the rest of the day it moves 70ft containers around the area. Same engine, same 300kph top speed.

There are trains that lean instead of banking the track. Technology ya know.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
electric vehicles could be worth $3.6 billion to the ontario economy

the latest report from the windfall centre argues ontario’s economy could benefit from the production of electric vehicles (evs) to the tune of $3.6 billion by 2025.

The windfall centre, a non-profit, sustainability advocacy group, argues in getting to 80: Meeting ontario’s emissions targets that if electric vehicles can reach a 10 per cent share of total passenger vehicles by 2025, the province can expect total income from the auto sector to jump substantially. Over 34,000 person-years of work will be created in the process, they write.

Ontario’s go green action plan on climate change commits the province to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 6 per cent by 2014, 15 per cent by 2020 and 80 per cent below 1990 levels by 2050. The province’s environmental watchdog, gord miller, has previously stated ontario is on track to meet its 2014 targets but warns that meeting the 2020 targets is no sure thing.

Reducing the number of fossil-fuel burning cars on the road is only a small part of this strategy, but it can do more, the report argues. Electric vehicles can do much to help lower ghgs from the transportation sector, the single largest ghg-emitting sector in the province.

The liberals’ goal to have 5 per cent of new vehicles on the road be evs by 2020 is simply too “ambiguous,” writes windfall executive director brent kopperson. And the automotive sector can do more to help drive this change, he feels.

“considering ontario is home to 10 automotive assembly plants and 300+ independent parts manufacturers that employ over 90,000 people, transitioning from manufacturing traditional vehicles to electric vehicles is expected to create more opportunities across various occupations,” kopperson writes in the report.

The shift from traditional vehicles to evs will also have the additional consequence of creating “disruptive change throughout business supply chains, the oil and gas industry, energy production and storage and the electrical infrastructure sector.”

implementing such a sea change in how cars are made and purchased in ontario wouldn’t be easy, especially not at first, kopperson notes. In the beginning there would be economic losses, some of them substantial. They break down as follows:

Reduction in gasoline use would cause $206 million in losses by 2025;

job losses in the oil and gas sector could reach 1,243;

all levels of government would lose approximately $57 million in revenue and personal income tax loss of close to $14 million;
$52 million would be lost by ottawa on the fuel tax and $29 million lost by ontario; and
$8.3 million would be lost in hst by the federal government and an additional $15.5 million lost by the province.

These losses are nothing to sneeze at. But the economic and environmental benefits would more than make up for any disruptions in traditional transportation methods and financial setbacks to either ottawa or queen’s park, the report argues.

Economic benefits of a 10 per cent switch to evs by 2025 include a sizable bump to federal, provincial and municipal coffers, they argue.

Additional tax revenue for all three levels of government would reach $1.08 billion with $526 million to ottawa, $424 million to ontario and $140 spread out over the province’s 444 municipalities.

“it is imperative that ontario proactively engages to make ontario an important hub of ev manufacturing not just for canada but for all of north america,” kopperson concludes. “failure to do so would result not just in missed economic opportunities but also in economic losses.”

if ontario fails to take advantage of its traditional automotive sector and help nudge it in a more sustainable direction it will likely find itself playing catch-up to more progressive jurisdictions soon enough, they note.

“it would likely never recover from these missed economic opportunities.”

electric vehicles could be worth $3.6 billion to the ontario economy | a\j –â*canada's environmental voice
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Electric vehicles currently are pretty commuter toy. I know somebody who has a Tesla and owns his own business so that he can leave his home approximately 12 to 15 miles from his place of work, then plug his tesla in at work. He can go somewhere on the lunch hour and stop somewhere on the way home to do whatever he wants to do, but once he gets home we plug the thing in again until the next morning.... It has a very high initial cost and you can’t really go anywhere with it outside of a small radius as far as taking it on a vacation etc.... Due to a lack of charging stations and the time involved in charging these things up.... but it’s very quick and it’s very cool.
I was very sceptical when he bought it with respect to winter, but he puts on $2000 worth of snow tires in the fall and takes them off in the spring, And he can plug the thing in both at home and at work so that he can run the heater & defrost & lights & radio & power the car itself in both directions to get from home to work and work to home. This is not a situation or a toy that would work for everybody by any means, but it is pretty cool for him.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Electric vehicles currently are pretty commuter toy. I know somebody who has a Tesla and owns his own business so that he can leave his home approximately 12 to 15 miles from his place of work, then plug his tesla in at work. He can go somewhere on the lunch hour and stop somewhere on the way home to do whatever he wants to do, but once he gets home we plug the thing in again until the next morning.... It has a very high initial cost and you can’t really go anywhere with it outside of a small radius as far as taking it on a vacation etc.... Due to a lack of charging stations and the time involved in charging these things up.... but it’s very quick and it’s very cool.
I was very sceptical when he bought it with respect to winter, but he puts on $2000 worth of snow tires in the fall and takes them off in the spring, And he can plug the thing in both at home and at work so that he can run the heater & defrost & lights & radio & power the car itself in both directions to get from home to work and work to home. This is not a situation or a toy that would work for everybody by any means, but it is pretty cool for him.
Some of my neighbours have other electric vehicles for commuting and are very happy with them . They also have other vehicles for use other then commuting .

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
On the weekend I was listening to a radio program originating in B.C. ( Get Connected) and two of the radio hosts were very happy with their EVs, the said they were paying over &400 a mo in gasoline costs. They said there are plenty of charging stations were they are and some are free charging.
So maybe it works for people in the lower mainland.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
If too many people in BC convert to EVs, I’m not sure how BC is going to get its shortfall in gasoline revenue.
Just a question of time before they start taxing EVs for the energy they use.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
On the weekend I was listening to a radio program originating in B.C. ( Get Connected) and two of the radio hosts were very happy with their EVs, the said they were paying over &400 a mo in gasoline costs. They said there are plenty of charging stations were they are and some are free charging.
There are lots of charging stations and more will be coming . They are now in Highway rest areas . Hope has a twenty to thirty charger parking lot for Tesla’s . More will be built I am sure .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
If too many people in BC convert to EVs, I’m not sure how BC is going to get its shortfall in gasoline revenue.
Just a question of time before they start taxing EVs for the energy they use.
Yes but that will take time . The government needs its pound of flesh .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There is also the not insignificant fact that local distribution lines cannot handle a charger in every garrage on the block, or most apartment buildings.
Also the fact that so far the cost of buying one of these toys is heavily subsidized by the taxpayer. As is their use of the road. Level the playing field and watch EV sales drop like a pedophile's popularity.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The guy I’m talking about bought his Tesla at the closest Tesla dealership to Regina Saskatchewan which is in Calgary Alberta. He happily drove it away from the dealership and it had about 1/3 of a charge. It took him two days to get to Regina, and he lives in a town a little bit east of Regina (I can jump in my truck now and be in Calgary in seven hours). Apparently there are a couple of different chargers that you can get for your Tesla. 110 V which is slower than molasses in January, and a 220 V which is much faster, and if you can find some we are wired for it, 440 V (220 x 2). Two years ago between Calgary and Regina as far as electric vehicle charging stations go... Let’s just say they were few and far between.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The guy I’m talking about bought his Tesla at the closest Tesla dealership to Regina Saskatchewan which is in Calgary Alberta. He happily drove it away from the dealership and it had about 1/3 of a charge. It took him two days to get to Regina, and he lives in a town a little bit east of Regina (I can jump in my truck now and be in Calgary in seven hours). Apparently there are a couple of different chargers that you can get for your Tesla. 110 V which is slower than molasses in January, and a 220 V which is much faster, and if you can find some we are wired for it, 440 V (220 x 2). Two years ago between Calgary and Regina as far as electric vehicle charging stations go... Let’s just say they were few and far between.
Growing pains.

Heck, I can remember when gas stations in the Southwest had signs that said "Last Gas For 250 Miles."

Infrastructure isn't automatic.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada

Because of the cold weather in the prairies and the long distances between populated areas, I just don’t see EVs really taking off in the western prairies.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Because of the cold weather in the prairies and the long distances between populated areas, I just don’t see EVs really taking off in the western prairies.
They are fine as a commuter car in Calgary or Regina . You still need another vehicle for practical use .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I know a guy who drove coats to coast in America in 48 hours.

The key is the super charging network and of course being able to drive an EV properly.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/5/20751975/ev-cannonball-run-record-broken-twice-2019

The electric vehicle Cannonball Run record was broken twice in one month

Both record-breakers drove Tesla Model 3 long-range RWDs

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Speaking of EV range Lucid is claiming their Air sedan will get 517 miles on a charge.

Tesla is claiming their next long range iteration will get 620 and their yet to be released Semi will get 500 miles.

These advances were all on the way prior to Tesla announcing a 20 % increase in battery density.

Range is really not an issue anymore.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Speaking of EV range Lucid is claiming their Air sedan will get 517 miles on a charge.
Tesla is claiming their next long range iteration will get 620 and their yet to be released Semi will get 500 miles.
These advances were all on the way prior to Tesla announcing a 20 % increase in battery density.
Whenever they state a range they never provide the weather conditions so one is left to assume it’s done in warm summer conditions.

Battery range is usually reduced to about half in winter driving with the heater on, so range in winter is still an issue.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

....& they're fun! Accelerates ridiculously quickly. The guy I'm talking about also has the Model 3.