Describe the United States in a sentence.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Re: RE: Describe the United S

Daz_Hockey said:
Sneakily pretending to side with the US to covertly steal all their gain from them but were forced to stop when the british beat them in what was really the first world war.

Can you expand on this a bit for little ol me? Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion, what i mean is this, while in america, I got talking to my trek leader, quite a keen historian as it happens, he reckoned a lot of americans think that the only reason france sided with the US was so that they could annex lousianna, and come down from the north then box them in like they tried with the british before independence, but were scuppered in their dream of north american dominance by the global war they lost to the british.

This view was, in my opinion backed up by what a frenchman said to a liberty island guide when I was there "this isnt a gift cus we like you, it's because we hate the english, we would have given it to aliens if they beat the english"...so that, in my opinion agrees with the point that the french cared little for america, nd just wanted to take their land from them.

And surley you know Newton's answer when discoering gravity, "I stand here today on the shoulders of giants"

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB
The Aztecs did a lot of neat things with astronomy, etc., but I think the massive human sacrifices more or less ruined my idea of the Aztecs as an "impressive" civilization.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
darkbeaver said:
Jay said:
"Aztec civilization was the Apex of human development"

It was till the Americans did them in!! :roll: :lol:

Actually I did not claim that the Aztecs were the apex of human developement, I believe I claimed they were a higher form of civilization.

True enough.

Just as silly.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Colpy said:
PoisonPete2 said:
Colpy said:
darkbeaver said:
quote]

As usual, I call.

What nation is now denied freedom by the United States?

RESPONSE: Icannot believe that you would think that to be a challenging question. Perhaps you should try to recall which Nations are under Occupation by US troops.

The question was "Which nations are denied freedom by the United States?"

Both Iraq and Afghanistan have elected governments. Both have asked US troops to stay.

Even if one does not accept that at face value, as I know you won't, neither of these nations were free before the invasion, in fact both have increased liberty since they were invaded, so the United States is hardly denying their people freedom. Indeed, in both nations the US is working towards an exit strategy.

So I ask again; What nation's people are denied freedom by the United States?

Niether countrys present Government is a product of democracy.
To suggest that a democratic election can take place in a country when it,s under a state of occupation is stupid. To believe that the US will ever leave these countrys ignors the reality of conquest
and the absolute necessity of US command and control of the region, they cannot surrender this control and continue to exist.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Describe the United States in a sentence.

darkbeaver said:
Jay said:
Is that your hand I see creeping towards your club?
Yes. :lol:

I warned you....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Let's see:

A partial list of nations the United States has conquered, occupied, and then left:

the Philipines
Cuba
Japan
France
Germany
Belguim
the Netherlands
Italy
Morroco
Lybia

Our American friends seem quite good at "ignoring the realities of conquest".

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

The Gunslinger said:
The Aztecs did a lot of neat things with astronomy, etc., but I think the massive human sacrifices more or less ruined my idea of the Aztecs as an "impressive" civilization.

I didn,t say "impressive civilization" either I said higher, and as concerns human sacrifice no other nation can compare with the Americans, those who have been sacrificed to feed the Empire could never be counted.I only brought up the Aztecs in the first place because I was in a hurry that day, any civilization that can organize mass sacrifice as did the Aztecs display a very high order of civilization, not good not bad just high.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Colpy said:

Yes the "empire" is very forgetful!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Colpy said:
Let's see:

A partial list of nations the United States has conquered, occupied, and then left:

the Philipines
Cuba
Japan
France
Germany
Belguim
the Netherlands
Italy
Morroco
Lybia

Try again Jay, they have not left nor left alone any of these.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

darkbeaver said:
The Gunslinger said:

I didn,t say "impressive civilization" either I said higher, and as concerns human sacrifice no other nation can compare with the Americans, those who have been sacrificed to feed the Empire could never be counted.I only brought up the Aztecs in the first place because I was in a hurry that day, any civilization that can organize mass sacrifice as did the Aztecs display a very high order of civilization, not good not bad just high.

So the Red Chinese, Joe Stalin's Soviet Empire, and Hitler's Germany were civilizations of a "high" order.

OKAY.

Maybe I'm not understanding something here. To me a civilization of "high" order would be one that creates and encourages liberty among its people, and that is successful enough that the poorest can get by.

That is western civilization. Period. The largest free, wealthy civilization ever.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Colpy said:
Let's see:

the Philipines
Cuba
Japan
France
Germany
Belguim
the Netherlands
Italy
Morroco
Lybia

I believe the Americans are still in Cuba. There is a very large base on stolen land, It is called Guantanimo Bay.(sp) It is also a consentration camp.

There are still American soldiers in Japan.

There are still a lot of American troops in Germany.

There were still American troops in Italy in the seventies. I don't know if they still have troops there.

There was a large air base near Liege in Belgium in the sixties and seventies.

I would say there are still U.S. troops in all but France and Morroco and Libya.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Let me see, vast and cranky with a great deal of arogance. Sorta like a parent, or big brother.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Describe the United S

when you start grouping a whole bunch of people into a generalised view is where the problem lies.....

I think these four words sum the US up: "America is INCREDIBLY complex"

CanEcosse

Mar 9, 2006
I think that if Bono had grown up in a Canadian city that shared a border with the states he wouldn't be so enamoured with them (although he is very talented). Maybe he would then write a song titled 'America' that talked about teenage kids trying to get into bars at an early age, then vomitting in the streets unable to handle Canadian beer !

For some reason there are a lot of people living in the UK (and Ireland as seen with Bono) who are just amazed by America.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

CanEcosse said:
For some reason there are a lot of people living in the UK (and Ireland as seen with Bono) who are just amazed by America.

Who are these people?...I wanna meet em!! :twisted:

most of the people I meet seem to usually have the following opinion of the states (without ever going there of course):

"Americans eat too much, are too fat, only care about themselves, polute the planet without a single thought about the rest of us and are brash and incredibly arrogent"

I don't 100% disagree with that statement, it would depend on the person you meet.....but thats the same the world over

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Daz_Hockey said:
Daz_Hockey said:
Sneakily pretending to side with the US to covertly steal all their gain from them but were forced to stop when the british beat them in what was really the first world war.

Can you expand on this a bit for little ol me? Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion, what i mean is this, while in america, I got talking to my trek leader, quite a keen historian as it happens, he reckoned a lot of americans think that the only reason france sided with the US was so that they could annex lousianna, and come down from the north then box them in like they tried with the british before independence, but were scuppered in their dream of north american dominance by the global war they lost to the british.

This view was, in my opinion backed up by what a frenchman said to a liberty island guide when I was there "this isnt a gift cus we like you, it's because we hate the english, we would have given it to aliens if they beat the english"...so that, in my opinion agrees with the point that the french cared little for america, nd just wanted to take their land from them.

And surley you know Newton's answer when discoering gravity, "I stand here today on the shoulders of giants"

Thanks....I catch your meaning now.

Newton, well he is a hero of mine!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
99.9% of Americans are top shelf. The closer one gets to the oval office the lower the % gets. (oops - two sentences)