Chancellor Angela Merkel declares "Multiculturalism has failed"

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Interesting how quickly Hitler and the Nazis were referenced in this discussion, and I've always figured that when that happens, meaningful conversation is over, it's the ultimate conversation stopper to characterize those you disagree with as Nazis. The real reason multiculturalism failed in Germany is because Germany never tried it and Ms. Merkel is now pretending it did, in order to score other points with the disgruntled and ignorant. She really knows better, I'm sure, she's not stupid. But a lot of voters are.
And, if I must bring a little fact into the discussion, the holocaust happened at a time when the Jewish community in Germany was completely assimilated into the larger society....thus the necessity of separating them out with symbols, and removing them from the professions...etc, before the great killing could be undertaken........

The Jews were German.

The Turks are not.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Jack, are you not from another culture? Are you saying that you have not assimilated into Canadian culture, that you are one of the reasons multiculturalism doesn't work?

Cliffy, I may be from "another culture" but that culture is still part of Western culture, which was, until recently the dominant culture in Canada. I know, you will insist that Native Canadian culture should have prevailed and should prevail, but you probably don't drive a vehicle designed by Natives Canadians, (sorry, I forgot that you don't drive or watch TV) you probably do not listen to music on CD/tape designed by NA, probably never read a book printed on a press invented by NA, never entered a building other than a wigwam originally planned and built by NA.

Yes, I came from another country. But I did learn English, without the sick, condescending and patronizing "English as SEcond Language" program. I saw children of my fellow immigrants going to school, knowing only the language taught to them by their immigrant parents and coming home speaking English.

I married a Cannadian girl from Edmonton, over 40 years ago, and our marriage still works. She loves and always loved the food I prepared according to the recipes I learned from my parents. And unless she tells me otherwise, she still loves me. So do my son-in-law (genuine French Canadian Winnipegger) and my grand-children.

Did I abandon my heritage? NO! I tried to teach my children a few words in Hungarian, but I never asked the government to finance my efforts in that goal. It is NOT the responsibility of the government to promote and pay for any effort to false premise of multi-culturalism.

What I AM saying is that I indeed, assimilated, and I do not need tax-payer subsidized multi-culturalism, because I always had the honesty and decency to at least try to attain what I believe in.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yes, I came from another country. But I did learn English, without the sick, condescending and patronizing "English as SEcond Language" program. I saw children of my fellow immigrants going to school, knowing only the language taught to them by their immigrant parents and coming home speaking English.

That's pretty much the one real priority immigrants should have. Government should be enforcing communication first and foremost.

Culturally, immigrants are allowed to mesh with ours as long as they don't physically harm others.

Economically, it's up to everybody including government and organizations (across all industries) to ensure all citizens (immigrants and non-immigrants) have equal opportunity to make a living.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Yeah, Merkel's right. But then again the ENTIRE post national, post structural socio economic paradigm is in a state of complete failure and imminent collapse. Included are many of its icons... free trade, monetarism, privatization & deregulation, abortion, homosexual affirmation. All form a cohesive structure of a 'free market' of moral relativism, radical individualism, greed & gratification.. something so nebulous and contradictory that no culture or nation can sustain itself on its tenets.

Unfortunately the civilized world is being flushed down the toilet.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yeah, Merkel's right. But then again the ENTIRE post national, post structural socio economic paradigm is in a state of complete failure and imminent collapse. Included are many of its icons... free trade, monetarism, privatization & deregulation, abortion, homosexual affirmation. All form a cohesive structure of a 'free market' of moral relativism, radical individualism, greed & gratification.. something so nebulous and contradictory that no culture or nation can sustain itself on its tenets.

Unfortunately the civilized world is being flushed down the toilet.
Ya! Let's get back to the good old days of inquisitions and witch hunts. All forms of social engineering are doomed to fail because humans are not all the same and rigid adherence to "social norms" does not work for everybody. The church had its day and screwed up royally, just like the present experiment will. But that is part of human evolution, we experiment, fail and move on. Going backwards is not the answer.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
That's pretty much the one real priority immigrants should have. Government should be enforcing communication first and foremost.

Culturally, immigrants are allowed to mesh with ours as long as they don't physically harm others.

Economically, it's up to everybody including government and organizations (across all industries) to ensure all citizens (immigrants and non-immigrants) have equal opportunity to make a living.

When I came here, I was happy for the priviledge. I needed no government to enforce the fact that I needed communications skills. You know, the way it should be as it was then: Speak English or starve! And as far as harming others, I was beaten up and left for dead on the railroad station in Geraldton, Ont. by some noble Native Canadians.

I never doubted - Hell even before the imposition of the totally unnecessary Charter - that I had equal rights. I just had to grab them. And I did.

Granted, there are those who would like to see me leave, even in spite of the fact that I EARNED my citizenship and have been a citizen longer than some of the pseodo-patriot Canadians who were dumb lucky to be born here, and the only thing they have to offer is invectives and envy for the success of immigrants.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Ya! Let's get back to the good old days of inquisitions and witch hunts. All forms of social engineering are doomed to fail because humans are not all the same and rigid adherence to "social norms" does not work for everybody. The church had its day and screwed up royally, just like the present experiment will. But that is part of human evolution, we experiment, fail and move on. Going backwards is not the answer.

I might have better termed the current paradigm as Post-Christian, since it is Christianity on which Western Civilization is based and its decline is inextricably linked with the loss of faith, and its replacement by idolatry and paganism.

You see it in things like multiculturism, which is little more than a new form of pagan tribalism, with its emphasis of gang like codices of respect and territory, at the cost of any inclusive sense of community and responsibility. Or..in radical eco-fascism, with its idols of Mother Earth and its frauds of Anthropogenic Global Warming, or in the idols of sexual indulgence, specifically with homosexuality or promiscuity, or with idols of greed in the ethos of the 'Free' Market economy.

There were many things done in the name of Christian religion which had nothing to do with Christianity, including inquisition and burning of heretics. A good rule of thumb to tell the difference is to ask yourself what Christ would have done. If you've read the Gospels, cliffy, as you claim to have done, then you would know that Christ's ministry on earth involved no inquistions or burnings.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I might have better termed the current paradigm as Post-Christian, since it is Christianity on which Western Civilization is based and its decline is inextricably linked with the belligerence of faith instead of its replacement by scientific doctrine.

Fixed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Good one.

Coldstream,
I have always maintained that Christianity bares little resemblance to the teachings of Jesus. It is based more on the writings of Paul, who had no first hand knowledge of Jesus or his teaching, and, as far as I'm concerned, did not understand the message at all. That is why I prefer to call the religion Paulianity (nice sounding double entendre) because of its simplistic pollyannish view of life and spiritual principles.
If the inquisition and witch hunts were not carried out by "Christians", what would you say the Catholic church was at the time? Just because laymen may have pulled the trigger at the church's behest, doesn't let the church off the hook. Or are you reading the church's white washed version of events?