Chancellor Angela Merkel declares "Multiculturalism has failed"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So that's two groups....who gets to be the lucky third? The Jews just recently came back and aren't numerous enough yet. So that leaves the blacks, hindus, east asians and that other group in Spain.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Most of Europe is now dealing with a self made problem. The Middle Easterners were brought in for cheap labor and in the case of England and France where a large colonial empire was once for those working in indentured servitude. Now those folks are citizens and are asking to have the laws of their religion as a part of the laws of the new nation in which they reside. My only reaction is "Why don't those people who are not content with the laws of their new home just return to their country of origin where those laws are practiced?" The Netherlands, Germany and France would probably be glad to accomodate them with a one way ticket home. Australia has already taken that approach. If I wasn't happy with my nation I'd sure consider emigrating to a nation that fit my ideals more.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
In the 60's Germany imported large numbers of unskilled laborers, mostly from Turkey. - No entitlement to citizenship at a later date - If I recall they could not bring their families etc - that was changed a few years or more ago -

The Germans thought that these guest workers would stay for a period of time and then leave - They were wrong.

The Turks and others for the most part lived within their own ethnic communities and many did not learn to speak German and understand the culture - The same goes for the poor way that Germany treated these workers.

Then you ended up with a large population that could not interact with the local countries citizens on a day to day basis - Children were poorly schooled in German and had major difficulties in schools, needless to say - this also led to a larger Turkish underclass, low skilled, failing to learn language and customs - And in Germany for those that have lived there, local customs are very important.

So was Merkel correct in stating Multi-culturalism has failed in Germany - Yes - can it work - yes - But the Federal and State Govts have to be willing and open to their local ethnic communities.

Quite right. It was not until quite recently that immigrants to Germany from countries like Turkey were allowed to become German citizens. This is quite different from the way immigrants have been welcomed into Canada. It turns out that giving immigrants citizenship early is more likely to encourage them to become a part of the culture of the host nation, particularly if they are allowed to immigrate as families. Classifying people as foreigners decades after they arrived in a country turns out to not be particularly conducive to encouraging them become part of mainstream society.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Merkel did not say she wanted all foreigners out, she does want immigrants to assimilate
and that is a trend across Europe. Some do want the certain groups out of the country.
France, and the Netherlands want the Muslims out and the current governments are siding
with their base voters to make things more difficult. Merkel said multiculturalism is not
working and that is true to a large extent. Those coming not only from Muslim backgrounds,
but from eastern Europe as well are not mixing in they are staying in their own little conclaves.
The Muslims keep to themselves as well. This is causing suspicion and the ever increasing
nationalist right wing is able to mount successful anti Muslim campaigns. The people are the
ones leading the governments to act. Usually you tend to find nationalistic leaders looking
for votes who stir this kind of thing up.
The problem is the economy is slipping in Europe as it is here, little by little but in the European
centers its more pronounced. As unemployment increases, and prospects fade, financial
security dwindles and more and more people look and compete for the lower end jobs or for
second jobs, they will blame foreigners for taking their jobs whether it is justified or not.
We have seen these slow trends before, and Hitler did capitalize on those sentiments.
Here in the west we claim the problem will be south of the boarder and we buy new rose coloured
glasses and believe we are an economic safe zone. There is no safe zone. Europe is showing
the wear and tear and frustration from its economic slippage. America is next, and we are not
that far behind. Unfortunately the scheme, the world trade, and all the deals our governments
entered into will be our undoing. I don't like the growing social nationalism that is growing by the
month. It leads to finger pointing blame and ultimately the destabilizing of a nation.
My father who fought in Europe in WWII always said if he could little kids in Italy eating out of
garbage cans, it could happen here. I hope Europe and the west in general will take a step back
from the kind of frustration that is building. i see more and more anti Muslim and ethnic statements
lately and it bothers me. I personally find it difficult to hate people I don't know, doesn't make
sense to me.

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
Germany had exploited the cheap labour for long years ,giving citizens of Turkey(Kurds citizens from Turkey mostly) chance to have access to Germany without any required rights except for gaining money.

unexpectedly , those workers started to settle there and left their families behind being part of Germany(who didn't calculate the result to be like this). They were not educated-knew German as they needed ...

She said too little had been required of immigrants in the past and repeated her usual line that they should learn German in order to get by in school and have opportunities on the labor market.

Germany should have considered those workers as human and tried to assimilate(not exceeding their some rights), cinsidered not disposable labour- given rights and education for culture and language of Germany ,then WORK at the right beginning.
common sense arrived there late but it is better than nothing.

now, the offsprings of those workers in Germany get the chance to study and be educated , the case is different now-there began some groupings among youngs especially-"others and Nazis".

it is also irritating.

of course, the immigrants should also keep up with the people, laws and culture of country which they chose to live in if they want to be in peace.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Germany had exploited the cheap labour for long years ,giving citizens of Turkey(Kurds citizens from Turkey mostly) chance to have access to Germany without any required rights except for gaining money.

No one forced the Turks to go to Germany and work, in fact, had the Turkish gvt managed its affairs on a more progressive basis, there would have been work for those people in Turkey. That said, based on your logic, the Turks that immigrated to Germany for the work/money exploited German society just as much as you suggest that the Germans exploited the Turks for the labour.

Germany should have considered those workers as human and tried to assimilate(not exceeding their some rights), cinsidered not disposable labour- given rights and education for culture and language of Germany ,then WORK at the right beginning.

From the German perspective, they would likely state that it is the Turks that are exploiting German society in that they did not respect the collective Germans right to recognize German culture.

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
No one forced the Turks to go to Germany and work, in fact, had the Turkish gvt managed its affairs on a more progressive basis, there would have been work for those people in Turkey. That said, based on your logic, the Turks that immigrated to Germany for the work/money exploited German society just as much as you suggest that the Germans exploited the Turks for the labour.

From the German perspective, they would likely state that it is the Turks that are exploiting German society in that they did not respect the collective Germans right to recognize German culture.

both exploited each other. i agree with that. If Turks are so irritaed , they should come to their homeland -If Germany is so irritated , she should stop talking and make logical laws for its interests but not leave his workers as miserable because Germany benefit from them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
both exploited each other. i agree with that. If Turks are so irritaed , they should come to their homeland -If Germany is so irritated , she should stop talking and make logical laws for its interests but not leave his workers as miserable because Germany benefit from them.

That advice could easily be applied to everyone in any nation to "citizens" and non-citizens alike

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Multiculturism is a failure, they don't want to adapt, they want to take over.

Renounce your culture or stay out.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Multiculturalism is cultural suicide.

And the host country's culture is the superior culture.....

or the immigrants wouldn't be fleeing their old countries to go there.

(It is called linear thought)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Multiculturalism is cultural suicide.

And the host country's culture is the superior culture.....

or the immigrants wouldn't be fleeing their old countries to go there.

(It is called linear thought)

No Multi Culturalism means no Immigration -No one to pay the bills as they say

It would also stop Canada from becoming a commodities king this century

Multi culturaism can and does work - It is the extrememists on both ends that cause the problems.

Non linear thought - But Logical as hell

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I have a problem with some of the definitions of exploitation in this thread. People seeking low-paid jobs in other nations are not guilty of exploitation of anyone; they are simply fulfilling a useful role in the nation that required their labour. Any nation that imports people and uses them as a source of cheap labour and then expels them whenever they become inconvenient is guilty of exploitation of those people; especially when many of them have been in the country for several decades without being offered citizenship.

Forcing people desperate for work into some sort of legal limbo for decades is hardly conducive to helping them become a full part of the society to which they emmigrated. In fact there are hundreds of thousands of second and third generation migrants to Germany who have fully integrated in spite of legal restrictions imposed upon them. They speak German, read German, listen to Western music, and participate fully in many other aspects of German culture. To call multiculturalism in Germany a failure so far as these migrants are concerned is nonsense. They are German in every respect except their religion and physical appearance. If they build mosques so what? That hardly undermines mainstream German culture.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
No Multi Culturalism means no Immigration -No one to pay the bills as they say

Gotta disagree with you there. Not supporting multi-culturalism does not necessarily equate to eliminating immigration. I believe that the basic point being made is that any nation has its own identity and to actively and aggressively morph that identity is a disservice to all... The character of a community/nation etc. will evolve all on its own within the general parameters of that society.

It would also stop Canada from becoming a commodities king this century

Lobby groups, protectionist policies and punitive taxes/tariffs are the biggest obstacles to this.

Multi culturaism can and does work - It is the extrememists on both ends that cause the problems.

A policy of not actively supporting multi-culturalism also works and is likely more effective in subduing the extremeist groups before they get a strong foot hold in a community.