Canada Pays More For Monarchy Than UK

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
They don't now but there is absolutely no reason they couldn't be given the authority. Same goes for the Premier.

Why the hell would the provinces give the federal government authority over what they do or don't pass into law?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's quite simple really. Give the GG the exact same powers the Queen has and bingo! Things just keep on working like they do AND Canada finally grows up to be its own nation!
Good idea. Cut the umbilical cord. We could still be friends but we wouldn't be colonists anymore.

Well... Old or new formula... Coke remains crap and it's not good for you.
Home made root beer on the other hand .....

Monarchy may not be causing any problems... it may be working ''fine''... But the principles underlying monarchy are not worthy of the truly modern nation Canada ought to be.
Can't tell that to some of these people though. They probably love the romantic notion of kings, queens, Prince Charmings and all that horsepuckey. Resistance to change, even if change would be good, is foolish consistency. And as Emerson said once, "Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds"

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well... Old or new formula... Coke remains crap and it's not good for you.

Here I agree with you. Coke is an efficient drain cleaner (perhaps that is the proper use for it, rather than drinking). Next time your drain clogs, pour a bottle of coke down it, it will clean up the drain nicely.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Nope. He and most of his crew are simpletons. You should recognize that, being one yourself.

Anna, ‘simpleton’ is an abusive term the far right usually uses to characterize the left. So you do think the Messiah is too left wing for you. I thought so.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
lol Yeah, Canada is the epitome of greatness. what a rube.

Anna, to an extreme right winger, US lover, Canada hater like you Canada probably seems to be like a third world country (but then as I have asked you before, have you considered moving to USA?), with its third world health care system and free availability of abortion.

But in my opinion (and in the opinion of United Nations), Canada is one of the greatest country in the world. I personally am proud to live in Canada But I do feel sorry for you, being trapped in a third world country against your will.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why the hell would the provinces give the federal government authority over what they do or don't pass into law?

They already have to a large extent. It's called a constitution. Besides, one could very easily say, "Why the hell would the provinces give the Queen authority over what they do or don't pass into law"?

Come on Gerry, you should really come up with a decent argument or just move along.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
They don't now but there is absolutely no reason they couldn't be given the authority. Same goes for the Premier.

Yes there is and its already been mentioned:

Any change of this type would take a major constitutional overhaul.

Its been 20 years since Mulroney last tried to do one and the way things have evolved, I highly doubt there would be agreement amongst the provinces. As others in this thread, there would be massive divides with no resolution: the Prairie provinces would want one thing (Alberta might want something different from the other two as well), BC would want another, Ontario another, Quebec a 4th option, and the Maritimes would want a 5th. Logically I can see some basis for agreement among the smaller population regions, but I don't think the way the country is divided regionally that they would ever find something to bridge that gap.

Another thing relating to "cost savings": how much do the "anti-monarchists" think it would cost to revamp all the government letterheads, and remove all the royal seals and other trappings from our existing buildings, etc? That one time cost is an additional killer that many tend to ignore/forget about.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yes there is and its already been mentioned:

Any change of this type would take a major constitutional overhaul.

Its been 20 years since Mulroney last tried to do one and the way things have evolved, I highly doubt there would be agreement amongst the provinces. As others in this thread, there would be massive divides with no resolution: the Prairie provinces would want one thing (Alberta might want something different from the other two as well), BC would want another, Ontario another, Quebec a 4th option, and the Maritimes would want a 5th. Logically I can see some basis for agreement among the smaller population regions, but I don't think the way the country is divided regionally that they would ever find something to bridge that gap.

That's the reason that I'm not for going down that road. It should be relatively easy to replace the GG with an elected president but you just know that once the topic of changing the constitution comes up, provinces will want to look at more than just that issue.

Another thing relating to "cost savings": how much do the "anti-monarchists" think it would cost to revamp all the government letterheads, and remove all the royal seals and other trappings from our existing buildings, etc? That one time cost is an additional killer that many tend to ignore/forget about.

There are ways around that. For example, we could change the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to the Rueful Canadian Mounted Police. It's appropriate and we can keep "RCMP"

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
ANY change to our present form of government, includung electing the GG and/or LG's would require a Constitutional change.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well...how about you stop whining about it and come up with alternatives. Keep in mind we use a parliamentary system of government.

Ok. We elect a Prime Minister. There is our head of government. Fix the term to four years. Make the senate equal and elected. All done. The rest we do not need. Ceremonial positions are a waste of time and money. Quite simple if you want to get it done. The people that keep finding roadblocks just simply don't want change or have a vested interest in squandering taxpayers money.

Reactions: DurkaDurka

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Ok. We elect a Prime Minister. There is our head of government. Fix the term to four years. Make the senate equal and elected. All done. The rest we do not need. Ceremonial positions are a waste of time and money. Quite simple if you want to get it done. The people that keep finding roadblocks just simply don't want change or have a vested interest in squandering taxpayers money.

Again, requires a change in our Constitution, and no, I see no reason to change our form of Government. I see no reason to "dump" the Monarchy and I look forward to when Prince William is crowned.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Again, requires a change in our Constitution, and no, I see no reason to change our form of Government. I see no reason to "dump" the Monarchy and I look forward to when Prince William is crowned.

But not Charles? Does his infidelity conflict with your morals?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Like I said it is simple if we want change. Less government is good government.
I look forward to dumping all the parasitic poodles from our country. Want a queen? move to England.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
But not Charles? Does his infidelity conflict with your morals?

No, not Charles, and it has less to do with his "infidelity" and more to do with his "politics". IMO Prince William would make a better King and would be more "inclusive".

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Like I said it is simple if we want change. Less government is good government.
I look forward to dumping all the parasitic poodles from our country. Want a queen? move to England.

It is NOT simple, and only those that are "simple minded" think that way. As far as "moving to England", my family helped build this Country, paternally my family has been here for over 300 years, maternally.....forever.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
ANY change to our present form of government, includung electing the GG and/or LG's would require a Constitutional change.

OH MY GOD!!! Hide the children! Close your shutters! Constitutional change is on the horizon!!!