Canada Pays More For Monarchy Than UK

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You'd keep an employee and pay them millions rather than pay someone else that could do the same job for a few dozen g-notes?

You don’t know how much it will cost to replace monarchy, Anna. That is only speculation. And I don’t think there will be a general agreement as to what should replace monarchy anyway.

No, my guess is that Canadians will oppose any attempt to replace the monarchy. They tried it in Australia and it failed miserably (anti-monarchists held a referendum and lost it convincingly). As they say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
I don't care what Canadians would do.
If you are some sort of expert on monarchies, you explain how much it would cost to get rid of it. With supporting links, please.
Seems to me other countries use ambassadors to go brag about Canada elsewhere. Their heads of state greet important visitors. Presidents hand out medals.
Monarchy is an expensive bunch of pomposity with little use.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If you are some sort of expert on monarchies, you explain how much it would cost to get rid of it. With supporting links, please.

I a not interested in getting rid of it, Anna. Why would I care how much it would cost? Monarchy seems to be working fairly well, it has not given rise to any problems. We don’t know what will replace monarchy, I am sure there will be numerous proposals (and numerous disagreements). Why monkey around with something that is working?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You'd keep an employee and pay them millions rather than pay someone else that could do the same job for a few dozen g-notes?

You don’t know how much it will cost to replace monarchy, Anna. That is only speculation. And I don’t think there will be a general agreement as to what should replace monarchy anyway.
Funny. People whine about how much it'd cost to replace the GG and all the nonsense that goes with it, but they don't show any numbers.

No, my guess is that Canadians will oppose any attempt to replace the monarchy. They tried it in Australia and it failed miserably (anti-monarchists held a referendum and lost it convincingly). As they say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Canadians opposed the gun registry, too. Big deal.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Good grief, no way. We have too many politicians as it is for what we get out of them. I already suggested we could use a professional greeter, like a hotel clerk.

I'm sorry.... but the GG's job is a hell of alot ore complex than just a concierge. You can't just dump the GG in a parliamentary system, the GG must be replaced...what are you going to replace the GG with?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm sorry.... but the GG's job is a hell of alot ore complex than just a concierge. You can't just dump the GG in a parliamentary system, the GG must be replaced...what are you going to replace the GG with?

A ceremonial president.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't care what Canadians would do.
Seems to me other countries use ambassadors to go brag about Canada elsewhere. Their heads of state greet important visitors. Presidents hand out medals.
Monarchy is an expensive bunch of pomposity with little use.

Why should someone that doesn't want to dump the monarchy cost out what it would cost to replace it? You want it replaced? YOU show the savings.

Canada uses ambassadors also, but that is only a small part of the GG's job. The GG is our head of state, much like the President of the u.s. is their head of state.

Again, if you want to dump the Monarchy, what would you replace it with?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Canadians did not oppose gun registry, the opposition was largely concentrated in Alberta. In Ontario and Quebec (and by implication in Canada, since they have such a large percentage of population) there was a huge support for gun registry. That is why opinion polls invariably showed that a majority of Canadians supported gun registry.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Why should someone that doesn't want to dump the monarchy cost out what it would cost to replace it? You want it replaced? YOU show the savings.

Canada uses ambassadors also, but that is only a small part of the GG's job. The GG is our head of state, much like the President of the u.s. is their head of state.

Again, if you want to dump the Monarchy, what would you replace it with?
Funny. People whine about how much it'd cost to replace the GG and all the nonsense that goes with it, but they don't show any numbers. I showed numbers of what it costs to keep it. Someone else's turn to show some numbers.
Besides, I don't care one way or the other if we lost it or not.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm not saying it is any different really, just that you could replace the GG with a ceremonial president under a republic or whatnot.

Ok....and how would that save the taxpayers any money? That is the main reason given in the OP for ridding Canada of the GG and the Monarchy.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Canadians did not oppose gun registry, the opposition was largely concentrated in Alberta. In Ontario and Quebec (and by implication in Canada, since they have such a large percentage of population) there was a huge support for gun registry. That is why opinion polls invariably showed that a majority of Canadians supported gun registry.
Aaaahh. So Albertans are "largely" not Canadians. Farmers, orchardists, target shooters, collectors, and ranchers are "largely" not Canadians. lol
Show me the numbers. Show me the polls.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Funny. People whine about how much it'd cost to replace the GG and all the nonsense that goes with it, but they don't show any numbers. I showed numbers of what it costs to keep it. Someone else's turn to show some numbers.
Besides, I don't care one way or the other if we lost it or not.

Funny...I haven't heard this "whining"....the only "whining" I see concerning the Monarchy and the GG, are those that want to get rid of it. Their main "whine" is about the cost of maintaining the GG and the LG's, but I have yet to see any of them propose a viable replacement and the cost savings that that would bring.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Funny...I haven't heard this "whining"....the only "whining" I see concerning the Monarchy and the GG, are those that want to get rid of it. Their main "whine" is about the cost of maintaining the GG and the LG's, but I have yet to see any of them propose a viable replacement and the cost savings that that would bring.
I haven't heard any whining either. But I read it. I think it was Cannuck that first moaned something like "ooohhh, it'd cost too much to replace". Then Potty and you chimed in on the same note. lol

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I haven't heard any whining either. But I read it. I think it was Cannuck that first moaned something like "ooohhh, it'd cost too much to replace". Then Potty and you chimed in on the same note. lol

You're gonna have to show me where he said that, because I just went through the thread again and the only "whining" or "moaning" about costs was in the original OP and that was about the costs of maintaining the Monarchy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Anna: That about sums up my feelings on it. There is no reason for all the overpaid and over fed officials to be there other than for looks. And it looks to me like a good place to cut government spending.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Anna: That about sums up my feelings on it. There is no reason for all the overpaid and over fed officials to be there other than for looks. And it looks to me like a good place to cut government spending.

Well...how about you stop whining about it and come up with alternatives. Keep in mind we use a parliamentary system of government.