Canada Pays More For Monarchy Than UK

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
The post states, "the Queen issue new letters patent regarding the office of GG".

No, never, forget it. She can no longer do anything for Canada. And why?
Canadians tell themselves they live in an independent country. If a foreigner, that resides in a country we need a passport to get into, can alter our constitution, how independent are we? We are not an independent nation if we allow this.

I carry no British passport, I am not British, I want no British person, or person from any other country altering our constitution. Foreign monarchies and their aristocratic stink are done in Canada.

Perhaps I should clarify. The Monarch issues a letters patent, like any other executive act, only on the advice of the cabinet, i.e., the government of Canada, and cannot reclaim any powers, authorities or functions once delegated. Feel better now?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Perhaps I should clarify. The Monarch issues a letters patent, like any other executive act, only on the advice of the cabinet, i.e., the government of Canada, and cannot reclaim any powers, authorities or functions once delegated. Feel better now?

Oh yes, all nice and legal it seems, but what you have is continued reliance on a foreign nation to achieve political ends. A view that neglects the big picture. Many Canadians think the queen, if an extreme emergency occurred, could reclaim powers, that is the nature of politics-people can do what they wish if they have the numbers or influence. The future is uncertain and I think the legal basis of Canadian law and loyalty must not be beyond our shores.

Right now, the military in Canada takes an oath to the queen, not Canada or Canadians-who pay their bills. There is a fundamental disconnect here. I don't comprehend this weird loyalty to a dated foreign institution.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Well, if the Queen of Canada was actually a "foreign institution" you might have a point, but she IS the Queen of Canada and as such is NOT foreign.

She is a foreigner and we can make the monarchy a foreign institution if we wish. This is my political opinion.

The queen is not just an institution but a person and as a person she negligible interest in things Canadian. We get no reports in the media how she is interested in what is going on here. That she ever talks to Canadians, has Canadian friends, listens or watches Canadian programs, visits here because she thinks it's a great place. Big fat zero here on all these practical, everyday points.

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
Right now, the military in Canada takes an oath to the queen, not Canada or Canadians-who pay their bills. There is a fundamental disconnect here. I don't comprehend this weird loyalty to a dated foreign institution.

The oath of allegiance can be changed by an Act of Parliament, and there have been serious discussions in this vein.

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
Many Canadians think the queen, if an extreme emergency occurred, could reclaim powers, that is the nature of politics-people can do what they wish if they have the numbers or influence.

Who thinks this? No constitutional expert of repute. It is a fundamental tenet of British (and thereby Canadian) constitutional practice that the Monarch reigns but does not rule and, as I pointed out earlier, cannot reclaim any powers, authorities or functions once delegated.

(Sorry I should have multi-quoted)

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The oath of allegiance can be changed by an Act of Parliament, and there have been serious discussions in this vein.

Here Wiki shows all the govt officials who take an oath to the queen such as MLAs, MPs, judges, civil servants etc. Yet the people who vote for MLAs and MPs don't think about the queen much or really feel too much loyalty to her on a day to day level. The facts on the ground in Canada and senior govt officials are not on the same wavelength like they ought to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Allegiance_(Canada)