Canada Pays More For Monarchy Than UK

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You're gonna have to show me where he said that, because I just went through the thread again and the only "whining" or "moaning" about costs was in the original OP and that was about the costs of maintaining the Monarchy.
Oh sorry. I misread. He said, "That said, we are Canadians and we will never be able to agree on how to replace it or even if we should replace it." Maybe it was Potty that snivelled that it'd cost too much to replace.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think it's as simple as replacing a few words in the Acts of Parliament. If we remove the Monarch as head of state, what is it replaced by? For a comparison, take any other republic, and examine how they constrain what a President can do.

There's 1000 things that deserve more attention than changing something which has absolutely no negative effect on the day-to-day lives of Canadians. That ambivalence though would turn quickly to polemics as monarchists and republicans took up sides, and every other group you can think of fought to shape the "New and Improved Canada" to suit their fancy.

Coke switched back to the old formula...turns out change isn't always a good thing, despite what the infomercials may have told you.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh sorry. I misread. He said, "That said, we are Canadians and we will never be able to agree on how to replace it or even if we should replace it." Maybe it was Potty that snivelled that it'd cost too much to replace.

Nope...can't find anything by sjp either....the only thing I found was YOU bringing up costs.....

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Anna, quoting on line poll? Be ashamed. On line polls are worth nothing, worth zero. Show me a scientifically conducted poll. It wouldn’t surprise me if you can also produce on line poll showing that a majority of people think that earth is flat. Some of the same nuts who want to abolish gun registry probably also think that earth is flat,

Show me a scientifically conducted, random sample poll. On line polls are curiosities, nothing more.

As to the police, there are plenty of police organizations that support the gun registry. I will see if I can dig up some polls. And i assure you if I dig up something, it won’t be an on line poll. An on line poll, really.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I haven't heard any whining either. But I read it. I think it was Cannuck that first moaned something like "ooohhh, it'd cost too much to replace". Then Potty and you chimed in on the same note. lol

Again, who cares how much it costs to replace? It is not going to be replaced, so the question is moot. There is only a small (though perhaps noisy) minority that wants to abolish the monarchy.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don't think it's as simple as replacing a few words in the Acts of Parliament. If we remove the Monarch as head of state, what is it replaced by? For a comparison, take any other republic, and examine how they constrain what a President can do.

There's 1000 things that deserve more attention than changing something which has absolutely no negative effect on the day-to-day lives of Canadians. That ambivalence though would turn quickly to polemics as monarchists and republicans took up sides, and every other group you can think of fought to shape the "New and Improved Canada" to suit their fancy.

Coke switched back to the old formula...turns out change isn't always a good thing, despite what the infomercials may have told you.

Quite right, Tonington. If we were debating if monarchy should be introduced to Canada, that would be one thing, I probably would be opposed to it. But get rid of it for no apparent reason? Why? I would think Canadians would have better things to do that worry about monarchy.

Monarchy stays. I don’t see a good reason to get rid of it.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'm not saying it is any different really, just that you could replace the GG with a ceremonial president under a republic or whatnot.

Replacing someone in a ceremonial post is like replacing a nice chair. It's just for looks so its no big deal, no one will notice because it is a passive ornament. I have never heard a concrete argument of what the crown or monarchy actually "does". Hotel greeter is the main job, smile, act pretty.

Yet these days, with the current GG eating seal guts-which I thought was kind of rude but very local, was an astonishingly untraditional act. It indicates to me Cdns want an active kind of presz/GG in a new post to promote political agendas. Our current GG is no non-partisan ornament. To pretend the crown/queen/GG/monarchy is "above politics" is naive nonsense.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anna, quoting on line poll? Be ashamed. On line polls are worth nothing, worth zero. Show me a scientifically conducted poll. It wouldn’t surprise me if you can also produce on line poll showing that a majority of people think that earth is flat. Some of the same nuts who want to abolish gun registry probably also think that earth is flat,
At least I showed a poll. You have shown nothing except your poor little opinion.

Show me a scientifically conducted, random sample poll. On line polls are curiosities, nothing more.
Show me yours first.

As to the police, there are plenty of police organizations that support the gun registry. I will see if I can dig up some polls. And i assure you if I dig up something, it won’t be an on line poll. An on line poll, really.
Show me yours then, Potty. :D

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Again, who cares how much it costs to replace? It is not going to be replaced, so the question is moot. There is only a small (though perhaps noisy) minority that wants to abolish the monarchy.
:lol:Why are you here discussing it if you think it isn't worth discussing?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Feast your eyes on this Anna, this was the latest poll I could find. 2 out of 3 Canadians support keeping the gun registry. I would believe this poll much before I will believe your on line poll.

Let us face it Anna, you belong to the far right. On many issues (abortion, gun control are the two that we know of) you are out of tune with Ontario and Québec. And since they together constitute almost 60% of the population, what they say carries a lot of weight. I can understand your frustration (which leads you to quoting on line polls).

Anyway, didn’t your Messiah introduce a bill in the Commons to scrap gun registry and it was killed by the opposition?

Two in three Canadians want to keep gun registry, poll finds

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My "messiah" isn't even an MP. Sorry to pop your pitiful little balloon. 2006? I think people have gotten a wee bit wiser since 2006.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
:lol:Why are you here discussing it if you think it isn't worth discussing?

I never said it is not worth discussing, anything is worth discussing (I would even be willing to discuss whether earth is flat with you, if you do think that it is flat). What I am saying it does not matter how much a noisy minority wants it, I don’t see it happening. One does not temper with the constitution on a whim.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Replacing someone in a ceremonial post is like replacing a nice chair. It's just for looks so its no big deal, no one will notice because it is a passive ornament. I have never heard a concrete argument of what the crown or monarchy actually "does". Hotel greeter is the main job, smile, act pretty.

Yet these days, with the current GG eating seal guts-which I thought was kind of rude but very local, was an astonishingly untraditional act. It indicates to me Cdns want an active kind of presz/GG in a new post to promote political agendas. Our current GG is no non-partisan ornament. To pretend the crown/queen/GG/monarchy is "above politics" is naive nonsense.

Then instead of whining about it, come up with a viable alternative, and since costs seem to be one of your sore points, also show how your alternative will do as good or better a job for less cost to the people of Canada.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
My "messiah" isn't even an MP. Sorry to pop your pitiful little balloon. 2006? I think people have gotten a wee bit wiser since 2006.

Since you belong to far right, I assume that Harper is your Messiah. And this was the latest poll I could find. If you can find a later one (and by that I don’t mean on line poll), by all means do post it.

I would be interested in how Canadians feel about gun registry. My guess is that they still support keeping the gun registry in some form.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Could get rid of the monarchy and go for a democratic republic. I know one that works and it's a lot more stable than what we have. It's also a great deal more democratic than what we have.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Since you belong to far right, I assume that Harper is your Messiah. And this was the latest poll I could find. If you can find a later one (and by that I don’t mean on line poll), by all means do post it.

I would be interested in how Canadians feel about gun registry. My guess is that they still support keeping the gun registry in some form.
aaaahhh more assumptions. You are really loaded with them aren't you. Too bad one hasn't hit the mark yet.
Sorry to pop your poor little balloon again, but I don't really like Harpy much.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Could get rid of the monarchy and go for a democratic republic. I know one that works and it's a lot more stable than what we have. It's also a great deal more democratic than what we have.

Like I said, one of the complaints, at least voiced in the OP, is the cost of the Monarchy. How would your suggestion save Canadians money and how would it be more "democratic"?