Blacks and crime

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
So when someone asks why crime is committed by blacks, they actually mean 'all visible minorities and the poor'?

To you, perhaps. To me, blacks means African Americans (or African Canadians in our case). I think it is absurd to include all kinds of minorities such as Asian (who tend to be brown), Chinese, Hispanics etc. in the category black.

It would be a weird definition of the word ‘black’ indeed to claim that Hispanics are blacks. I am sure Hispanics won’t appreciate being lumped together with blacks. Neither would Koreans, Chinese etc.

To me, black means just that, African race.

Also, let me get this straight. A white poor is a black (that is what you claim)?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
To you, perhaps. To me, blacks means African Americans (or African Canadians in our case). I think it is absurd to include all kinds of minorities such as Asian (who tend to be brown), Chinese, Hispanics etc. in the category black.

It would be a weird definition of the word ‘black’ indeed to claim that Hispanics are blacks. I am sure Hispanics won’t appreciate being lumped together with blacks. Neither would Koreans, Chinese etc.

To me, black means just that, African race.

Also, let me get this straight. A white poor is a black (that is what you claim)?

You've got to sharpen up your reading skills, old boy. I think you're having trouble following this thread.

Perhaps another gin and tonic would help.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So when someone asks why crime is committed by blacks, they actually mean 'all visible minorities and the poor'?

I am an inclusive type - in many neighorhoods areas white - prots -catholic are a minority - I should have added that -

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Correctional Service of Canada CSC Partners

http://www.cscscc.gc.ca/text/rsrch/reports/r144/images/r144_e_img_1.jpghttp://www.cscscc.gc.ca/text/rsrch/reports/r144/images/r144_e_img_1.jpgFigureFigure

2: Racial Distribution of Offenders
Figure 3: Five Offender Groups (1)

In combination, visible minority persons account for approximately 11% of those incarcerated and 16% of those serving time in the community (14% of those released on day parole; 20% released on full parole; and 11% released on statutory release). Visible minorities as a whole do not appear to be over-represented among incarcerated offenders, since they account for 13% of the population in Canada (Statistics Canada, 2001). However, there is a slight over-representation of visible minority offenders serving time in the community on some form of conditional release. The reasons for the larger proportion of visible minority offenders serving time in the community is most likely due to the offences for which they are incarcerated and criminal history. These factors will be discussed later in this report.Differences emerge when specific groups are examined. For instance, although they account for about 2% of the population in Canada, Blacks make up 6% of offenders incarcerated in federal correctional facilities and 7% of those serving time in the community. Asians are not over-represented—they account for 8% of the population in Canada, but only 2% of incarcerated offenders and 4% of those serving time in the community. Persons from “other” cultural groups are not over-represented among those incarcerated, but are slightly over-represented among those serving time in the community—they compose 3% of the population in Canada, compared with 3% of incarcerated offenders and 5% of those serving time in the community.The findings indicate that Caucasians, along with Asians, are under-represented in the Canadian federal correctional system, while Blacks are over-represented. As noted earlier, there is a similar disproportionate representation of Blacks in correctional facilities in the United States (Stephan, 2001) and England/Wales (Elkins & Olgundoye, 2001). Furthermore, according to Elkins and Olgundoye, Asians are also over-represented in England/Wales.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I am an inclusive type - in many neighorhoods areas white - prots -catholic are a minority - I should have added that -

You may be an inclusive type, Goober, but the word ‘black’ is not. Traditionally ‘black’ does not include Hispanics, Chinese, Koreans, Indians etc. It is usually used to describe Africans.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Goober, the charts and statistics you have put up really supports my assertion, that blacks committing majority of crimes is an Americanism, we don’t have that here in Canada.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The chart"Racial Distribution of Offenders" is not a "racial distribution" but a "geographic ancestry distribution" which cannot be taken as accurate because of intermarriage.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The chart"Racial Distribution of Offenders" is not a "racial distribution" but a "geographic ancestry distribution" which cannot be taken as accurate because of intermarriage.

Intermarriage would complicate the picture even further, Spade. Thus, when a white marries a black, their children disappear from both the white and the black races (for the purpose of statistics, that is). Intermarriage makes it even more difficult to draw any conclusions about race and crime.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Crime is a result of poverty, lack of opportunity, underclass, addictions, mental illness, fetal-alcohol syndrome, and prohibitions; it is not racially (whatever that means) based.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Spade

It was in no way meant to be offensive.

First Nations - we know how they are treated in Canada - Poverty - lack of eductaion - drugs/alcohol - Lack of oppourtunity - all of these mean people with little of no hope - and we are all famiiar with what ocurrs.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I see you could not refute anything I said. So you seek refuge in diversions.

What I was trying to point out, but you are unable to comprehend, is that you are trying to make my comment mean something that it doesn't. I think you've lost track of who said what, but that doesn't surprise me.

Go back and have someone who can read go over the thread, maybe they can use colours so you can follow it.

For someone who is so patronizing and arrogant, you sure are thick, old boy.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What I was trying to point out, but you are unable to comprehend, is that you are trying to make my comment mean something that it doesn't. I think you've lost track of who said what, but that doesn't surprise me.

Go back and have someone who can read go over the thread, maybe they can use colours so you can follow it.

For someone who is so patronizing and arrogant, you sure are thick, old boy.

I can only repeat myself, TenPenny. You were not able to refute anything I said (in my post #21). So you are talking about anything and everything except the issue at hand.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Spade - SJP You can include sexual abuse - beating by parents - Poor parenting skills - and last but not least some will turn to crime for other reasons than those mentioned already.But after a certain age it is either ingrained or the person has no wish to change - Not all but a substantial number ( possible)?