Analysts: More Libyan bloodshed could prompt U.S., NATO intervention

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Oh, and while I'm tearing you a new arsehole, let's talk about this!

In what Arab nation have you heard NOTHING about uprising?

That would be Iraq, because they have everything the others are fighting for.....they are an example to other Arab nations.....thanks to G. W. Bush.
LMAO

Iraqi Shi'ite cleric urges reform after protests | Reuters

I suggest you dab instead of wipe, for the next few weeks at least, when you go to the throne. :p

:lol:

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

When I first read this I thought of Saudi Arabia.

But what you said about Iraq isn't true.

BBC News - Protesters killed in Iraqi 'day of rage'
Deaths in Iraq pro-reform rallies - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Of course, if you read those articles, you'll see that these protests, while surely prompted by the widespread protests in the Middle East, are not quite the same.

Nor is the kind of unrest Cliffy is describing, which wasn't democratic but sectarian and Islamist. Trying to make the democratic protests in the Middle East the same as the anti-democratic terrorism in Iraq since the invasion is to completely lose perspective and surely an indication that one is blinded by an irrational, cynical and conspiracy-theory hatred for the United States.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I've notice that same people who supported the unprovoked war crime against the Iraq people, now don't support the use of force when it can be justified to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe...

Maybe they learned their lesson. The lesson is that what happens outside of North America isn't our business. Only harm can come from intervention. No use of force except in direct defense of our lives. The world wanted America to withdraw. This is what withdrawal looks like. No interventions, including humanitarian, ever again. Accept it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

That would be Iraq, because they have everything the others are fighting for.....they are an example to other Arab nations.....thanks to G. W. Bush.

I'm so happy the lefties have discovered the concept of freedom and democracy for Arab nations! Just thrilled.....although they are about 8 years behind Mr. Bush. And Iraq is a free democracy....I doubt any of these other nations will wind up that way.

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.....as my dear Mom used to say.

I really don't believe you are this stupid....but a good troll post Colpy.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Maybe they learned their lesson. The lesson is that what happens outside of North America isn't our business. Only harm can come from intervention. No use of force except in direct defense of our lives. The world wanted America to withdraw. This is what withdrawal looks like. No interventions, including humanitarian, ever again. Accept it.

The evolution of all this is interesting. For decades, foreign interventionist was mostly a liberal position and conservatives have long been traditionally isolationist, though some of this got a little mixed up during the cold war. During the 2000 US presidential election, George W Bush campaigned as being opposed to Bill Clinton's foreign interventionism and nation building. Then suddenly Iraq comes along, conservatives and liberals switch sides for while, but Iraq goes sour real quick, and now almost everyone is an isolationist.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
LMAO

Iraqi Shi'ite cleric urges reform after protests | Reuters

I suggest you dab instead of wipe, for the next few weeks at least, when you go to the throne. :p

:lol:

When I first read this I thought of Saudi Arabia.

But what you said about Iraq isn't true.

BBC News - Protesters killed in Iraqi 'day of rage'
Deaths in Iraq pro-reform rallies - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Of course, if you read those articles, you'll see that these protests, while surely prompted by the widespread protests in the Middle East, are not quite the same.

Nor is the kind of unrest Cliffy is describing, which wasn't democratic but sectarian and Islamist. Trying to make the democratic protests in the Middle East the same as the anti-democratic terrorism in Iraq since the invasion is to completely lose perspective and surely an indication that one is blinded by an irrational, cynical and conspiracy-theory hatred for the United States.

I really don't believe you are this stupid....but a good troll post Colpy.

Ok Guys

You're piling on now!

I CONFESS!

Hit me with the soft pillow.

You are all quite correct, I did not research that statement in the middle of my rant......I simply hadn't heard of any in the media.

My apologies.

Not my first blunder, nor will it be my last.

Stay tuned.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The real hero of all this is a 26 year old fruit vendor named Mohammed Bouazizi.

Not bombs, not foreign interference but a simple mans protest that took his own life for his people.

I know it's hard for neo cons (liberals) like Colpy to get this but many times it just takes an inner fire to topple oppression.

This could have happened in Iraq all on it's own without the West dictating it.

No cost of lives for us and no cost to the tax payers as well.

It's liberal's who think they know best for others.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ok Guys

You're piling on now!

I CONFESS!

Hit me with the soft pillow.

You are all quite correct, I did not research that statement in the middle of my rant......I simply hadn't heard of any in the media.

My apologies.

Not my first blunder, nor will it be my last.

Stay tuned.

Hey now, I wasn't so much piling on you as I was trying to salvage the point you made. ;)

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
The evolution of all this is interesting. For decades, foreign interventionist was mostly a liberal position and conservatives have long been traditionally isolationist, though some of this got a little mixed up during the cold war. During the 2000 US presidential election, George W Bush campaigned as being opposed to Bill Clinton's foreign interventionism and nation building. Then suddenly Iraq comes along, conservatives and liberals switch sides for while, but Iraq goes sour real quick, and now almost everyone is an isolationist.

If one lives long enough everything comes around again. Isolationism from the eastern hemisphere's political affairs was the traditional American foreign policy from 1789 until 1894 with the acquisition of Hawaii. The Spanish-American War created a desire to get into the empire business along with the major Euro powers. Involvement in WWI was a major departure from Isolationism.

After WWI a form of Isolationism reasserted itself strongly as far as the eastern hemisphere was concerned. Isolationism was discredited with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Japan, Germany and the Soviet Union transformed American foreign policy. Their pressure on America gave rise to two new schools of thought. Realism and Liberal Internationalism. There was overlap between the two.

The triumph in WWII and the Cold War seemed to validate Realism on the Right and Liberal Internationalism on the Left. In retrospect that was foolish. But who sees historic processes and forces clearly? Not Americans and not Canadians.

Neo-conservativism started out as a form of leftism which was transmorgified into a form of conservativism on a mission to spread the ideal of freedom while securing American interests abroad. Only the events of 9/11 allowed Neo-conservativism to make a break out.

In the process of playing out over the last decade Neo-conservativism caused the loss of an empire and the squandering of American resources. The tactical American military victory in Iraq was really a strategic defeat. This has happened to polities, states and empires throughout history. It's a common pattern.

Now the fool Obama, damn him, is squandering American blood in an escalated military campaign in the Hindu Kush. In order to conduct Obama's War he borrows money from the Chinese. Damn him.

I was a Realist for most of my life, but I can see the forces of history at work on America now, and I understand that my beloved land has no choice but to abandon the eastern hemisphere to its fate, and return home.

But I do take a very bitter pleasure in knowing that those in the West who most opposed the era of Pax Americana will be the ones who most regret its end. Pax Americana, like Pax Romana and Pax Britanica, created an international order which kept the world out of world war. They will miss the American imposed phenomenon of Freedom of Navigation throughout the world's oceans.

But Pax Americana is through. NATO is hollow and worthless. The UN is meaningless and toothless. A new era is being born, and a new international order is being born as the old order dies. The new order will be marked by the proliferation of nuclear weapons, the spread of ballistic missile technology, and the rush of other powers to fill the political, economic and military vacuum created by the withdrawal of America. America's smartest bet is to make itself into a very small target, and to feverishly develop missile defenses.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Neo-conservativism started out as a form of leftism which was transmorgified into a form of conservativism on a mission to spread the ideal of freedom while securing American interests abroad. Only the events of 9/11 allowed Neo-conservativism to make a break out.

In the process of playing out over the last decade Neo-conservativism caused the loss of an empire and the squandering of American resources. The tactical American military victory in Iraq was really a strategic defeat. This has happened to polities, states and empires throughout history. It's a common pattern.

Well said...try telling this to a con.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Which one? The one on the top of your head?

Ya the USSR did a lot a nasty stuff, but it has been the US of late that has been messing up the middle east, big time.

In fact it was a former CIA Director who made it illegal to assassinate foreign Leaders.

You want to hazard a guess who that was?

As to your other comments about the CIA, they are pretty ill informed.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
BaalsTears;1386801
Only the events of 9/11 allowed Neo-conservativism to make a break out.

Neo conservatism designed and executed 9/11.

But I do take a very bitter pleasure in knowing that those in the West who most opposed the era of Pax Americana will be the ones who most regret its end. Pax Americana, like Pax Romana and Pax Britanica, created an international order which kept the world out of world war. They will miss the American imposed phenomenon of Freedom of Navigation throughout the world's oceans.
Pax Americana allowed war to be waged on the world by economic means as well as military means, the record on that is crystal clear.Freedom of the seas for American business is not freedom of the seas.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
...Freedom of the seas for American business is not freedom of the seas.

Freedom of Navigation for all commercial vessels during peacetime has been guaranteed by the US Navy. If that weren't true East Asian and European economies would not have risen.

9/11 was undertaken by Hanbali Muslims.

BaalsTears;1386801

Neo conservatism designed and executed 9/11.

Pax Americana allowed war to be waged on the world by economic means as well as military means, the record on that is crystal clear.Freedom of the seas for American business is not freedom of the seas.

Pax Americana prevented world war. It naturally entailed conflict on the margins, just as did Pax Romana.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
BaalsTears;1386881]
Freedom of Navigation for all commercial vessels during peacetime has been guaranteed by the US Navy. If that weren't true East Asian and European economies would not have risen.
No nation boards more commercial vessels in international waters than America. Israel committed an act of piracy and murdered an American citizen and Turkish citizens seemingly with the approval of the US sea police.
9/11 was undertaken by Hanbali Muslims.
9/11 was designed and executed by neo conservatives.

Pax Americana prevented world war. It naturally entailed conflict on the margins, just as did Pax Romana.

Don't make me list those margins not the death tolls nor the extent of the pillage. War it certainly was and it remains war, global in scope to this day. How did you prevent war while you conducted it?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Now that's a truly stupid answer.

At first you asked why he was given that award. Then you criticize me for not rendering an opinion.

First, I have no opinion, OK. Secondly, it is an issue already discussed here. In fact, I believe you participated in an earlier thread on the subject which, if correct, means you already got an answer.

Do you need to be spoon fed? Would you like me to hold your little hand and give you a wiki article or the speech by the Nobel Prize Committee? Hmmm? Maybe you can render your own opinion as to the merits of that Committee's decision???

If that's the case then NATO should first go after Republican Bush's friend Islam Karimov of Uzbek who is FAR more tyrannical.
It does take a village to raise a child - it does take a brain to evaluate why, what, when where and how to have an opinion - So no disappointment with your reply - No opinion - Really credible.You like most on the left avoid the hard questions. Guess they are to difficult to answer.
As to holding my hand - No thank you - I avoid things like that.

Now as to my answer being stupid, no, please backtrack to the question for stupid.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
BaalsTears;1386881] No nation boards more commercial vessels in international waters than America. Israel committed an act of piracy and murdered an American citizen and Turkish citizens seemingly with the approval of the US sea police.
9/11 was designed and executed by neo conservatives.

Don't make me list those margins not the death tolls nor the extent of the pillage. War it certainly was and it remains war, global in scope to this day. How did you prevent war while you conducted it?

I don't give a **** about Israel or Turkey.

If you have evidence of direct causation of 9/11 by neo-cons, as opposed to the supposition of blowback, I will examine the evidence you present.

The death tolls from a world war compared to marginal conflicts is that of a difference in kind as opposed to magnitude. Watch the future. The level of death is going to increase beyond your imagination.

You are invested in anti-Americanism. But that is the past because Pax Americana is evaporating before our very eyes.

I am invested in the death of leftist ideology in America. That is the real struggle. That ideological world is going to end no matter what.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
The American Military will keep spreading itself thin and before we know it an enemy could be landing troops in New York without opposition.