Analysts: More Libyan bloodshed could prompt U.S., NATO intervention

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
They keep saying we should stay out, I would love to see the UN get totally involved without us. (and of course the Libyans turn on them)
And guess where the troops, equipment, etc all come from. NATO - The West -

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
For once we finally agree, we do not need another war or attrition, if Gadhafi wins so be it, if the people win they will be the better for it, plus it will be their win. We all should just shut up and stay out of it.

Then we have people like this with a mind set that everything must be the fault of the USA and the CIA. They never will mature enough to cope with this new world that they created whether they know it or not.
Are you denying that the CIA has had a hand in the fall of many a government that was replaced by a US backed brutal dictatorship? Are you trying to whitewash history? Are you a revisionist?

The CIA has had its hands dirty since its inception, so it's no wonder that many people think the way they do.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Are you denying that the CIA has had a hand in the fall of many a government that was replaced by a US backed brutal dictatorship? Are you trying to whitewash history? Are you a revisionist?

The CIA has had its hands dirty since its inception, so it's no wonder that many people think the way they do.
And so has the former USSR - It was called, a misnomer - Cold War -

But Cliffy - you prove my point.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And so has the former USSR - It was called, a misnomer - Cold War -

But Cliffy - you prove my point.
Which one? The one on the top of your head?

Ya the USSR did a lot a nasty stuff, but it has been the US of late that has been messing up the middle east, big time.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Which one? The one on the top of your head?

Ya the USSR did a lot a nasty stuff, but it has been the US of late that has been messing up the middle east, big time.

Cliffy - I stated that the US did many good things - yet many would always go back to the past as you did - now you are in the present.

But the topic being intervention in Libya - now who do you think the world would ask if Wacko goes and starts mass murder - perhaps using chem weapons - Will they ask China - Russia - No - NATO and that means mostly the US.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
There's a great irony to all this: while right wing liar Bush said he wanted democracy in Arab lands, he did nothing to promote it. Instead, he gave money to those brutal dictators further entrenching tyranny.

Obama was awarded the Nobel Prize much to the hate and consternation of the far right, and now all these tyrannies are being toppled with Obama's blessings.

Why don't the far right Obama haters on this forum say anything about that?

No....let's keep our bloody hands out of it for once and let the people choose their own destiny.

The sanctions unilaterally imposed by Obama are OK. No further action is warranted.

Ironically, the great ''pro democracy'' Bush did nothing like that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There's a great irony to all this: while right wing liar Bush said he wanted democracy in Arab lands, he did nothing to promote it. Instead, he gave money to those brutal dictators further entrenching tyranny.

Obama was awarded the Nobel Prize much to the hate and consternation of the far right, and now all these tyrannies are being toppled with Obama's blessings.

Why don't the far right Obama haters on this forum say anything about that?

The sanctions unilaterally imposed by Obama are OK. No further action is warranted.

Ironically, the great ''pro democracy'' Bush did nothing like that.

And what did he do to recieve the Nobel - SFA

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I believe we had a thread on that previously. You will likely find your answer, there.
Problem finding an opinion. Use both hands and reach around to your arse. Whoops - You could not even find your arse with 2 hands let alone formulat an opinionas to why Obama was awarded the Nobel.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm all for NATO going into Libya. To me that's what a military alliance is for, to take out nutjobs like Gaddafi when they are "cleansing" populations.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Problem finding an opinion. Use both hands and reach around to your arse. Whoops - You could not even find your arse with 2 hands let alone formulat an opinionas to why Obama was awarded the Nobel.

Now that's a truly stupid answer.

At first you asked why he was given that award. Then you criticize me for not rendering an opinion.

First, I have no opinion, OK. Secondly, it is an issue already discussed here. In fact, I believe you participated in an earlier thread on the subject which, if correct, means you already got an answer.

Do you need to be spoon fed? Would you like me to hold your little hand and give you a wiki article or the speech by the Nobel Prize Committee? Hmmm? Maybe you can render your own opinion as to the merits of that Committee's decision???

I'm all for NATO going into Libya. To me that's what a military alliance is for, to take out nutjobs like Gaddafi when they are "cleansing" populations.

If that's the case then NATO should first go after Republican Bush's friend Islam Karimov of Uzbek who is FAR more tyrannical.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What the hell is NATO going to do? Open up another smuggling route for their heroin into the EU through North Africa? Is that why Harper went to Marrakesh?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I just hope were not stupid enough to get involved (the U.S., Great Briton and Canada). It just might be time for the rest of the West to stop complaining and become enlightened to the reality policing the world and war.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Nah,the US would never use helecopter gunships to gun down people just for the fun of it.
Here's the video:
YouTube - Collateral Murder - WikiLeaks

I've notice that same people who supported the unprovoked war crime against the Iraq people, now don't support the use of force when it can be justified to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe.

It wouldn't take much intervention to tip the scales in favor of the people. All it needs is a vote at the UNSC to make it legal. Or we can just eat popcorn and watch the dictator slaughter civilians on the news each night.

BTW, I'm being consistent. I am against soldiers slaughtering innocent civilians. I never said I was against the use of force to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe. I'm against the use of force to create a humanitarian catastrophe.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
It's become past the point of the United States and NATO waiting to put pressure on Libya's neighbors to act, either the neighbors act or NATO needs to step in.

There's also no time to wait for the UN to debate what course of action needs to be taken while innocent civilians die..

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Here's the video:
YouTube - Collateral Murder - WikiLeaks

I've notice that same people who supported the unprovoked war crime against the Iraq people, now don't support the use of force when it can be justified to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe.

It wouldn't take much intervention to tip the scales in favor of the people. All it needs is a vote at the UNSC to make it legal. Or we can just eat popcorn and watch the dictator slaughter civilians on the news each night.

BTW, I'm being consistent. I am against soldiers slaughtering innocent civilians. I never said I was against the use of force to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe. I'm against the use of force to create a humanitarian catastrophe.

Are you really that huge an idiot?

The case released by wikileaks is tragic.....but obviously pilot error....he thought the cameraman was shouldering a missile launcher.

It is a war. People get killed. Unfortunately, sometimes innocent people get killed.

To compare this to setting helicopter gunships and fighter bombers on protest marches is so incredibly outrageous....

One thing about you, just let you open your mouth, and you entirely discredit yourself.

Oh, BTW, as for the ****ing idiots at the UN....they haven't even removed Libya from the UN Human Rights Commission.

What it would take to break the stalemate is a "no-fly" zone enforced by fighters......and perhaps a air to ground attack on armoured units.......and guess who would have to do that.

Oh, and while I'm tearing you a new arsehole, let's talk about this!

In what Arab nation have you heard NOTHING about uprising?

That would be Iraq, because they have everything the others are fighting for.....they are an example to other Arab nations.....thanks to G. W. Bush.

I'm so happy the lefties have discovered the concept of freedom and democracy for Arab nations! Just thrilled.....although they are about 8 years behind Mr. Bush. And Iraq is a free democracy....I doubt any of these other nations will wind up that way.

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.....as my dear Mom used to say.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Are you really that huge an idiot?

The case released by wikileaks is tragic.....but obviously pilot error....he thought the cameraman was shouldering a missile launcher.

It is a war. People get killed. Unfortunately, sometimes innocent people get killed.

To compare this to setting helicopter gunships and fighter bombers on protest marches is so incredibly outrageous....

One thing about you, just let you open your mouth, and you entirely discredit yourself.

Oh, BTW, as for the ****ing idiots at the UN....they haven't even removed Libya from the UN Human Rights Commission.

What it would take to break the stalemate is a "no-fly" zone enforced by fighters......and perhaps a air to ground attack on armoured units.......and guess who would have to do that.

Oh, and while I'm tearing you a new arsehole, let's talk about this!

In what Arab nation have you heard NOTHING about uprising?

That would be Iraq, because they have everything the others are fighting for.....they are an example to other Arab nations.....thanks to G. W. Bush.

I'm so happy the lefties have discovered the concept of freedom and democracy for Arab nations! Just thrilled.....although they are about 8 years behind Mr. Bush. And Iraq is a free democracy....I doubt any of these other nations will wind up that way.

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.....as my dear Mom used to say.
What are you smoking? Iraq has been the center of unrest ever since Bush set up his puppet "democratic" government, with almost a million people being killed is sectarian violence. There is no democracy in Iraq, just a different ruling elite that allows the west to rape their oil reserves. Where have you been?