Abortion is not Immoral

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I gather the majority of peoples "common sense" differs somewwhat from your version

It seems to me that "Common Sense" would dictate against killing an innocent human being or potential human being, but then I suppose someone will take it to the extreme and say masturbating is killing a potential human being, so maybe the question defies all logic.

A4NoOb

Nominee Member
Feb 27, 2009
Do you know anything about the law. It's not criminal in the least
I suppose this is the problem with the Justice System of Canada :[ You can be put in jail for a year for questioning the number of jews killed in Auschwitz but killing an innocent well-developed baby right before the umbilical cord is cut can be government funded.

Sensationalizing just a bit...

Perhaps you'd like the backwoods Allabama version. That's the fiction you're expousing as fact
What? Are you not familiar with Canadian Law? There is no law to restrict abortion in any means. AbortionInCanada.ca .:. Abortions by Gestational Age Amazing, the government funded 35 aborted human beings (and that's being generous given the stats were done with 40% of the total abortions) in the third trimester. To my knowledge I thought capital punishment was illegal in Canada :[

What's the difference between an infant after the imbilical cord is cut and a fetus in the first tri-mester?

The former is a human being, the latter a collection of cells
First trimester? I suppose there are some developmental differences, but hey are we pretending a two year old has the same biological structure as a 17 year old? But a spoiler!
Regardless of age, all humans are made up of cells!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
What? Are you not familiar with Canadian Law? There is no law to restrict abortion in any means. AbortionInCanada.ca .:. Abortions by Gestational Age Amazing, the government funded 35 aborted human beings (and that's being generous given the stats were done with 40% of the total abortions) in the third trimester. To my knowledge I thought capital punishment was illegal in Canada :[

Please tell me why those babies were aborted in the third trimester! I'm one of the few nurses I know who has actually participated in late term abortions and will admit it. ALL of them were on babies with horrendous health issues, some of which were also making their mothers ill. All of them were wanted babies. Those families grieved after they had to make a horribly difficult decision. For you to use them to make a political point shows your lack of understanding of the issue. Women don't carry a pregnancy for 7 months and then decide to abort for no reason. If you're against abortion, that I can respect. It's reasonable enough. Talking sh#t about people who suffered with a horrible situation isn't reasonable.

A4NoOb

Nominee Member
Feb 27, 2009
Please tell me why those babies were aborted in the third trimester! I'm one of the few nurses I know who has actually participated in late term abortions and will admit it. ALL of them were on babies with horrendous health issues, some of which were also making their mothers ill. All of them were wanted babies. Those families grieved after they had to make a horribly difficult decision. For you to use them to make a political point shows your lack of understanding of the issue. Women don't carry a pregnancy for 7 months and then decide to abort for no reason. If you're against abortion, that I can respect. It's reasonable enough. Talking sh#t about people who suffered with a horrible situation isn't reasonable.
Did you misread me? Since when did I accuse women for these abortions? I am attacking the system, to allow people to abort their child from second or third trimester. And as the link provides, the system unfortunately works. Also, why are these statistics lacking to provide the reason why they aborted their child? You can give your anecdotal evidence (which I'm sure is true!) but where is the merit? You are claiming that 100% of these abortions at the third trimester are fully excusable, and I ask you to substantiate. The Canadian Law does not prescribe that women can only have late abortions if it is decremental to their health (or child's heath). It allows abortion at all levels to occur at any given time (until the umbilical cord is cut).

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ask the vast majority of doctors and they will tell you life begins at birth not conception.

It's a biblical fact that life begins at conception and ends at birth

And here is where the problem arises. Who wrote the bible? How much, if any medical training did they have? Were there any women with unwanted pregnancies allowed input on this "fact" in a book that is in its self nothing more than a piece of hard to read fiction. Unless you are a believer and then if this book said that cows have three heads you would believe that as well.
My feeling is that a life begins when a body can survive outside the womb without medical intervention, requiring only feeding by the mother. Life ends when a body can no longer breath unaided. But then I am allowed to think for myself and do not require a preacher to tell me what to think and how to act.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Did you misread me? Since when did I accuse women for these abortions? I am attacking the system, to allow people to abort their child from second or third trimester. And as the link provides, the system unfortunately works. Also, why are these statistics lacking to provide the reason why they aborted their child? You can give your anecdotal evidence (which I'm sure is true!) but where is the merit? You are claiming that 100% of these abortions at the third trimester are fully excusable, and I ask you to substantiate. The Canadian Law does not prescribe that women can only have late abortions if it is decremental to their health (or child's heath). It allows abortion at all levels to occur at any given time (until the umbilical cord is cut).

I've worked in women's and children's health since graduation. It is my main interest in health care. I've worked at the two largest OB hosptials in Canada (BC Women's and Children's in Vancouver and Mount Sinai in Toronto). They are two of the places where women are referred for late term abortions because it requires special care. Each province probably has one or two hospitals depending on their population that can and will actually do them. Now I work on the baby end of things in a neonatal icu. Unlike a lot of pro-life or pro-choice advocates, I actually know what a 20 week fetus looks like.

You look at the lack of a law forbidding abortion the second before an umbilical cord is cut and take it to mean that actually happens. Your view of the law isn't accurate btw. That actually would be legal murder because the umbilical cord is cut AFTER the baby is born so you couldn't abort at that point. But anyways.... it makes no common sense to argue that a woman would carry a pregnancy to 7 or 8 months and then decide to get an abortion for no reason. They are done for health reasons at that point and the government should pay for that. Even if a woman did want an abortion for no reason at that gestation, you'd have a heck of a time finding a doctor who would do it. I've never met one. To argue late term abortions are WRONG, MURDER, CAPITAL PUNISHMENT and the system shouldn't allow them is judging families who have faced a terribly difficult situation. That's wrong.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've worked in women's and children's health since graduation. It is my main interest in health care. I've worked at the two largest OB hosptials in Canada (BC Women's and Children's in Vancouver and Mount Sinai in Toronto). They are two of the places where women are referred for late term abortions because it requires special care. Each province probably has one or two hospitals depending on their population that can and will actually do them. Now I work on the baby end of things in a neonatal icu. Unlike a lot of pro-life or pro-choice advocates, I actually know what a 20 week fetus looks like.

You look at the lack of a law forbidding abortion the second before an umbilical cord is cut and take it to mean that actually happens. Your view of the law isn't accurate btw. That actually would be legal murder because the umbilical cord is cut AFTER the baby is born so you couldn't abort at that point. But anyways.... it makes no common sense to argue that a woman would carry a pregnancy to 7 or 8 months and then decide to get an abortion for no reason. They are done for health reasons at that point and the government should pay for that. Even if a woman did want an abortion for no reason at that gestation, you'd have a heck of a time finding a doctor who would do it. I've never met one. To argue late term abortions are WRONG, MURDER, CAPITAL PUNISHMENT and the system shouldn't allow them is judging families who have faced a terribly difficult situation. That's wrong.

I don't see why sensible people would be against abortions in cases where the mother's health is in real danger, or for that matter in some cases where the pregnancy is the result of rape. I can understand people's objection to abortion for reasons of convenience.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't see why sensible people would be against abortions in cases where the mother's health is in real danger, or for that matter in some cases where the pregnancy is the result of rape. I can understand people's objection to abortion for reasons of convenience.

See, I don't see the reason for the rape exception. The baby had no say on the rape. If it's truly a person at conception, then it shouldn't be murdered for the crime of its father.

Most late term abortions in my experience are done on babies with severe health issues. Google harlequin ichthyosis and tell me you'd want to continue a pregnancy knowing what you'd be giving birth to.... I had nightmares about that for weeks the first time I saw it in real life.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
See, I don't see the reason for the rape exception. The baby had no say on the rape. If it's truly a person at conception, then it shouldn't be murdered for the crime of its father.

Most late term abortions in my experience are done on babies with severe health issues. Google harlequin ichthyosis and tell me you'd want to continue a pregnancy knowing what you'd be giving birth to.... I had nightmares about that for weeks the first time I saw it in real life.

I agree with you BUT some would believe and maybe rightfully so that a child who is the result of a rape and where the rapist is repugnant to the mother, the child may be the target of the mother's wrath. But that is even a slim argument as there is nothing to prevent the child being adopted.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

If one is 'against' abortion, then one should be against abortion for normal
babies as well as abnormal, life is life, and why would one choose to end
the pregnancy just because they find that the child will not have full health,
if one calls abortion murder, then it is murder for both the healthy and unhealthy, each life is as precious as the other.
I am not against abortion, (if done early), I have opposite views, as I believe
no child should come into the world unless it is 'wanted', and I would "never'
force a woman to carry a child to full term, when that pregnancy had been
caused by a 'rape'.
It is easy for the 'holier than thou' to get up on their pedastal and preach and
accuse others of murder, but they never follow up those words by knowing what
kind of life the baby will have, as some lives are worse than death.
Babies should be loved, taken good care of, and nurtured through a happy
childhood.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Last I heard, when life begins is still being argued. I don't like lives being lost, but I have exceptions (Why do we have to pay to keep sewer slime like Clifford Olson alive?). Will the "moral" people open their homes to support the kids of rape victims and kids that are born brain dead, those who will suffer after birth only to die a few weeks later, etc?
Morals are an extremely personal thing and are subject to whims, geographical location, culture, probably genetic (to name a few) reasons. Even people in my little area have different views on morals.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It is easy for the 'holier than thou' to get up on their pedastal and preach and
accuse others of murder, but they never follow up those words by knowing what
kind of life the baby will have, as some lives are worse than death.
Babies should be loved, taken good care of, and nurtured through a happy
childhood.

That was sort of my point. It's really easy to have a moral viewpoint when you've never had it tested. Late term abortions in particular are used as propaganda by pro-lifers because it's easy to horrify people with the idea of it. The reality is very different. Until you've been there, you can't judge. I can name 10 conditions off the top of my head for which I would terminate a pregnancy. A short life full of suffering isn't worthwhile to me. I've worked with women who have chosen to take such pregnancies to term and I support their decision too. I just don't like people talking trash about the other choice when chances are they know very little about what went into making that decision.

Reactions: L Gilbert

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Last I heard, when life begins is still being argued. I don't like lives being lost, but I have exceptions (Why do we have to pay to keep sewer slime like Clifford Olson alive?). Will the "moral" people open their homes to support the kids of rape victims and kids that are born brain dead, those who will suffer after birth only to die a few weeks later, etc?
Morals are an extremely personal thing and are subject to whims, geographical location, culture, probably genetic (to name a few) reasons. Even people in my little area have different views on morals.

Life begins at the point of conception.

A4NoOb

Nominee Member
Feb 27, 2009

And again I ask you whether you can account for 100% of the late term abortions? Something is sketchy with your experience because if it is as you say, then why are there no statistics proving your point? All of it is anonymous and my intuition tells me it's because some of those abortions weren't excusable. There are many reasons why a woman might have a late term abortion. Financial crisis, being on the fence about whether or not to keep it, having her boyfriend leave her, pressure to focus on school, having a job promotion etc. There are many reasons why a woman would be pressured into having a late term abortion, but because you are a nurse that gives you the benefit of the doubt?

And I am not arguing that late term abortions are capital punishment, I argue that all abortions are capital punishment. Again unless a woman is in mortal peril, it isn't her decision.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

I can understand people's objection to abortion for reasons of convenience

I agree with you JLM......

and the chances of that happening after the first trimester is pretty much "zero"

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
And again I ask you whether you can account for 100% of the late term abortions? Something is sketchy with your experience because if it is as you say, then why are there no statistics proving your point? All of it is anonymous and my intuition tells me it's because some of those abortions weren't excusable. There are many reasons why a woman might have a late term abortion. Financial crisis, being on the fence about whether or not to keep it, having her boyfriend leave her, pressure to focus on school, having a job promotion etc. There are many reasons why a woman would be pressured into having a late term abortion, but because you are a nurse that gives you the benefit of the doubt?

And I am not arguing that late term abortions are capital punishment, I argue that all abortions are capital punishment. Again unless a woman is in mortal peril, it isn't her decision.

I argue that all abortions are capital punishment

As your rationale gets more and more marginalized, you start to come up with extremes.

The arguement has been decided by far brighter and more rationale people.

In Canada it's the law. period!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can understand people's objection to abortion for reasons of convenience

I agree with you JLM......

and the chances of that happening after the first trimester is pretty much "zero"

Glad to hear that Zeus, if everyone thought like you (and me) abortion wouldn't be such a contentious issue. However I'm afraid that "mother's rights" (god damn that Trudeau) takes precedence for some.