ABEXIT - is it time for Alberta to think about leaving Canada?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Probably not on his own but with the Dippers wanting a coalition it would be possible. That would be a disaster for Canada in general and the West in particular.
We have food and oil and warmer weather, yeah, we would suffer greatly. Mostly from all the people who bail from the east that we would let in. Alberta would take the whole north as well as most of the Prairies so it would be the East and BC that 'suffers'. If the gas gets cut off it is the US that is doing it as that is where we sent all our oil and gas that we don't use ourselves.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I wish Albertans were less mad at the rest of the country, and more mad at the 40 plus years of PC govts that failed to try to diversify their economy.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here in quite some time. Clearly you have no idea of the diversification problems Alberta has faced and why

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Probably not on his own but with the Dippers wanting a coalition it would be possible. That would be a disaster for Canada in general and the West in particular.

This is one of the biggest reasons to get out prior to the Libs and dippers driving the final nail in the coffin

I wish Albertans were less mad at the rest of the country, and more mad at the 40 plus years of PC govts that failed to try to diversify their economy.

Pretty hollow statement considering that it's been the economic input from resource extraction that has been the biggest reason to allow many 'have-not' provinces to do nothing in terms of diversify, let alone grow their own economies.

Now that the plan is to kill all resource extraction (mining and forestry are just about DOA), where do you think the cash comes from to fund the entitlement crowd?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Have they been a total disaster in BC?

Best economy in Canada.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
No farming and no forestry in Alberta is there? Did you know that close to half Alberta's population comes from elsewhere because there are jobs in Alberta? Still lots of people from BC flying to Alberta to work. Direct flight Comox to Fort Mac. That is how important oil is to the Canadian economy.