ABEXIT - is it time for Alberta to think about leaving Canada?

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
I still think it'd be best if we completely ditched the idea of parties. I think that would help to force people to vote on merit rather than identity. Personally, I can't give a hoot about who is in what party. If a person does a good job, or even tries their best to do a good job, then I will vote for them.
As far as east vs. west goes, I think we in the west can be autonomous if we need to be, but I'd rather not spend years and billions trying to separate. And that's after convincing the governors of our provinces that we need to separate. No easy task. I doubt it would be much easier to convince them to withhold tranfer payments and whatever else, either.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The big problem with having a non-party system is that it makes it almost impossible to get anything of significance accomplished.

Take a look at some of the European nations that have fractional minorities in place, in effect, the gvt is at a standstill all the time

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
The big problem with having a non-party system is that it makes it almost impossible to get anything of significance accomplished.

Take a look at some of the European nations that have fractional minorities in place, in effect, the gvt is at a standstill all the time
If people don't cooperate and reconcile, sure. Immature idiots seem to see things in black and white, though, so they dig in their heels instead of coming to agreements.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
If people don't cooperate and reconcile, sure. Immature idiots seem to see things in black and white, though, so they dig in their heels instead of coming to agreements.

To start, we're talking politicians here so any progress is hampered due to that alone. Now, factor in the regional preferences and you find yourself stalled and likely in a Us vs Them scenario.

In a perfect world, your suggestion works, but unfortunately, we live in a world that is far 'less than perfect'.

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
To start, we're talking politicians here so any progress is hampered due to that alone. Now, factor in the regional preferences and you find yourself stalled and likely in a Us vs Them scenario.

In a perfect world, your suggestion works, but unfortunately, we live in a world that is far 'less than perfect'.
So that of course means that no-one should come to agreement.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
It doesn't mean that at all, but it does have to occur in a timely manner and simply using some contemporary examples, I believe that it exemplifies the inability for all the stars to line-up such that things get done

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I still think it'd be best if we completely ditched the idea of parties. I think that would help to force people to vote on merit rather than identity. Personally, I can't give a hoot about who is in what party. If a person does a good job, or even tries their best to do a good job, then I will vote for them.
As far as east vs. west goes, I think we in the west can be autonomous if we need to be, but I'd rather not spend years and billions trying to separate. And that's after convincing the governors of our provinces that we need to separate. No easy task. I doubt it would be much easier to convince them to withhold tranfer payments and whatever else, either.

Yep, all the parties are very much the same thing, the main platforms being to lie, steal and cheat whenever necessary to remain in power and qualify for the fattest pension!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Yep, all the parties are very much the same thing, the main platforms being to lie, steal and cheat whenever necessary to remain in power and qualify for the fattest pension!
We are a mirror of out European home. Just as fukked, maybe even more as we could have escaped so we are slaves by choice and the owners are still psychopaths.

Bring the east down so they have to start acting like the people in the west. That is not impossible and you can do it from home. It will be hard as the east thrives on lies and the west has to avoid falling for the same 'easy out'. It is the liars whole bet embarrassed and flustered as their lies unfold. Clearly that is where the untouchable crooks live so that is a damn good reason to push it to the limits.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Have you forgotten Henry Ford's famous admonition?

Well..........................to be fair.......................................

Henry DID NOT "ADMONISH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He ORDERED black for everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!