A two-state solution for Canada?

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
There's no reason for it to be chaotic and hateful. We are civilized people.

Agreed, I rather not have a former Canada resembling that of North Korea with each province slammering down 20% of its GDP on the military, awaiting attack.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Please elaborate... Wouldn't you be happy to finally be rid of the Bloc? To see your politics concentrate on the real issues rather than on national unity?

As far as I am concerned, the separatists should be charged with sedition and treason. If they want out of Canada, grab the next plane or boat and get the f uck out of my Country.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
What would be your thoughts on Quebec voluntarily separating from Canada but sharing a common citizenship and passport?

Pros and cons?

think about what you just asked.........................Que. now has common citizenship and passport.........It's called a Canadian one.

The Pequistes know upon which side of their bread lies the butter, and only cries au revoir to glean more dollars, and to piss folks off.

It's going to take a long long time, but, sooner or later, they're going to have to wake up to the realization that there's more to the world than Que.

No to separation, by force of arms if necessary. F them.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I only see an advantage for quebecois, not Canada.

An advantage for what? Sovereignty? Common citizenship? What?

I'll make a few assumptions here:

If you're referring to sovereignty, I see both pros and cons on both sides. On the one hand, Quebec would no longer have a vote in Canada's parliament and so English-Canada could pass laws without Quebec interference (bad for Quebec, good for English-Canada). On the other hand, Quebec's National Assembly would be free to pass laws uninhibited from Canadian law (Bad for English-Canada, good for Quebec). Such a separation would have the disadvantage of making any kind of co-ordinated Pan-Canadian endeavour more difficult, but the advantage of allowing each side more sovereignty in relative terms. Good or bad, difficult to say in my opinion. Of course it would also depend on how sovereign each side were to be. Moderate sovereignty is desirable, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. For instance, would they choose to share a common currency or military, or at least coordinate their immigration policies, etc. What about free trade? I'd say that if the two sovereign states still managed to share many common interests, it could possibly be mutually beneficial. On the other hand, should they become more isolationist, it could hurt both sides and benefit neither.

In the end, I guess there'd be a subtle difference between sovereignty-association and decentralized federation. Personally, I'd prefer a more decentralized federation. That said, sovereignty-association would still be better for both sides than total isolationist sovereignty. It really does come down to a spectrum between highly centralized unitary state to the one extreme to isolationist city states to the other.While decentralized federation is more along where I sit, sovereignty-association would be my second-preferred option, with absolute centralization or isolationist sovereignty being very harmful to both sides mutually. Overall, I'd say most policies would likely hurt both sides or benefit both sides. Not many arrangements would benefit one without the other, since the other wouldn't stand for it.

Now if you're talking about any kind of common-citizenship proposal, I can only see it as good for both sides. This way, an English-Canadian can continue to have equal access to the Quebec labour and consumer market, just as a Quebecer can continue to have access to the labour and consume markets of English-Canada. This would be a win-win, no doubt.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
think about what you just asked.........................Que. now has common citizenship and passport.........It's called a Canadian one.

The Pequistes know upon which side of their bread lies the butter, and only cries au revoir to glean more dollars, and to piss folks off.

It's going to take a long long time, but, sooner or later, they're going to have to wake up to the realization that there's more to the world than Que.

No to separation, by force of arms if necessary. F them.

And F you too.

What are you? A wanna be dictator?

As far as I am concerned, the separatists should be charged with sedition and treason. If they want out of Canada, grab the next plane or boat and get the f uck out of my Country.

Nope. That won't happen, and you won't do anything about it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

If you're referring to sovereignty, I see both pros and cons on both sides. On the one hand, Quebec would no longer have a vote in Canada's parliament and so English-Canada could pass laws without Quebec interference (bad for Quebec, good for English-Canada). On the other hand, Quebec's National Assembly would be free to pass laws uninhibited from Canadian law (Bad for English-Canada, good for Quebec). Such a separation would have the disadvantage of making any kind of co-ordinated Pan-Canadian endeavour more difficult, but the advantage of allowing each side more sovereignty in relative terms. Good or bad, difficult to say in my opinion. Of course it would also depend on how sovereign each side were to be. Moderate sovereignty is desirable, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. For instance, would they choose to share a common currency or military, or at least coordinate their immigration policies, etc. What about free trade? I'd say that if the two sovereign states still managed to share many common interests, it could possibly be mutually beneficial. On the other hand, should they become more isolationist, it could hurt both sides and benefit neither.

In the end, I guess there'd be a subtle difference between sovereignty-association and decentralized federation. Personally, I'd prefer a more decentralized federation. That said, sovereignty-association would still be better for both sides than total isolationist sovereignty. It really does come down to a spectrum between highly centralized unitary state to the one extreme to isolationist city states to the other.While decentralized federation is more along where I sit, sovereignty-association would be my second-preferred option, with absolute centralization or isolationist sovereignty being very harmful to both sides mutually. Overall, I'd say most policies would likely hurt both sides or benefit both sides. Not many arrangements would benefit one without the other, since the other wouldn't stand for it.

Now if you're talking about any kind of common-citizenship proposal, I can only see it as good for both sides. This way, an English-Canadian can continue to have equal access to the Quebec labour and consumer market, just as a Quebecer can continue to have access to the labour and consume markets of English-Canada. This would be a win-win, no doubt.

Disagree completely. Again, I see no advantage to Canada, only advantages to quebecois and I am unwilling to give an inch to those wanting to tear my Country apart.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

You see, the salvation of Canada's national unity lies in open minded people like you who are willing to at least imagine what a different kind of Canada could be like.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
And F you too.

What are you? A wanna be dictator?

Nope. That won't happen, and you won't do anything about it.

Thankfully we have a buffer state near British Columbia called Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The second we see Ontarians on the border, they better be good climbers, as not a single mountain pass will be available when last minute each one is denoted with dynamite.

Last edited:

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
So ... uh ... you're advocating terrorism then?

So if Canadian Soldiers started shooting people by the droves in Western Canada and Quebec ("for treason"), we are the Terrorists because we happen to shoot back?

I believe Comrade Stalin has a job offer for you! I also have a couple of bridges for sale on the Ottawa River, mint condition....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So if Canadian Soldiers started shooting people by the droves in Western Canada and Quebec ("for treason"), we are the Terrorists because we happen to shoot back?

I believe Comrade Stalin has a job offer for you! I also have a couple of bridges for sale on the Ottawa River, mint condition....

By the droves eh.....roflmfao.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

How far into the ridiculous are you planning on going with this?

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
I've been reading all the answers and posts regarding the original question put forth by Machjo. Some interesting comments.
I would like to ask Trotz Bloc Quebecois if he could please post his answer and views on the original question. Thank you much.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
You're out of your @#$%ing mind.

Canada was a parochial backwards icon piece of embarrassment to modern civilization until Trudeau came along, and he did not come from English Canada.

English Canadians constantly feel put down to not be allowed to be bullys when target not identified.

In the mean time there be an actual civilization in Quebec.

Trudeau brought Canada into the 20th century, much to the pout of dumb English Canadians who'd like it for life to be like bully playgrounds. Gosh what proper respect dummies learn there.

Trudeau made it so all the smart, well educated Canadians might stay here, and he did not come from English Canada. Only French Canadians have a true sense of being Canadians, and all the rest forgot why they fled the American revolution in order to worship the Queen.

You're nuts and you're insane... but okay... let's take it your way....

You're English and now you have the option of plugging your province in as an American state in order to get the guts ripped out of your health-care system by investors demanding (and having twisted American laws to entitle) top premiums be paid to share-holders done by minimal health benefits payed out.

Am I the only guy here to notice how the way to divide that which must be public versus that which works better as private is whether or not they make more profit by delivering more service or less?

Canada has been breaking apart ever since the Bloc came along, and Russian associates say it's just a comfortable American plan.

When Quebec voted with the rest of the country, the country always got better.

In the mean time I'm imagining some fist-held pieces of rounded skate-blades in order to do cartwheels over ice...

http://tunes.digitalock.com/Will.I.Am-AlexOnTheSpot.mp3 <-- click here for the music

Last edited:

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I've been reading all the answers and posts regarding the original question put forth by Machjo. Some interesting comments.
I would like to ask Trotz Bloc Quebecois if he could please post his answer and views on the original question. Thank you much.

I'm not an Quebecois, it is just there were no option to select regionalist and the Quebecois, with exception of the now defunct Reform Party, is the only mainstream party in Canada which advocates regionalism and seperatism.

if he could please post his answer and views on the original question. Thank you much.
Re: Question, no.

The question was not discussing an actual two-state solution (Although in the title; is what I developed on in #2) but independence with a common citizenship regime (comparable to the E.U.)

In my opinion? No. I forsee problems with this implementation. A common citizenship regime would mean most Ontarians and Maritimers, who at this point probably already would have been fired for not being Francophoners, would be at a disadvantage in the Quebec economy and Quebecers, being bilingual, would otherwise have unrestricted access to any job in Anglo Canada.

As far as I am concerned, they can go jump through the same hopes that the Americans have to under the current border system.

You're out of your @#$%ing mind.

Canada was a parochial backwards icon piece of embarrassment to modern civilization until Trudeau came along, and he did not come from English Canada.

Wow! Just wow! I'm sure most people in the 1960s would have preferred to live in Canada than most countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe; et al. In fact we accepted thousands of refugees from Eastern Europe, so I think that proves the point.

English Canadians constantly feel put down to not be allowed to be bullys.

Trudeau brought Canada into the 20th century, much to the pout of dumb English Canadians who'd like it for life to be like bully playgrounds. Gosh what proper respect dummies learn there.
Trudeau sent in the army during the October Crisis and Anglo Canada is considered a bully? Oh dear.

Trudeau made it so all the smart, well educated Canadians might stay here, and he did not come from English Canada. Only French Canadians have a true sense of being Canadians, and all the rest forgot why they fled the American revolution.
Wrong, brain drain in Canada has always been around, even your dear Ignatieff was a teacher in the states for decades.

You're nuts and you're insane... but okay... let's take it your way....
Nice rebuttle to the opposition; "put them all in the psychiatric ward and shoot them" as Lenin and Stalin were constantly known to say about Russians who wanted democracy and liberty in the Soviet Union.

You're English and now you have the option of plugging your province in as an American state in order to get the guts ripped out of your health-care system by investors demanding (and having twisted American laws to entitle) top premiums be paid to share-holders done by minimal health benefits payed out.

Am I the only guy here to notice how the way to divide that which must be public versus that which works better as private is whether or not they make more profit by delivering more service or less?

Canada has been breaking apart ever since the bloc came along, and Russian associates say it's just a comfortable American plan.
Even though Puerto Rico has been waiting to become a state for over a century? I don't think the Americans are intent of annexing more territories, "50 States" sounds a lot better than "51" or "63". states

If it does become true than the blame is on Lestor Pearson and Trudeau, both folstered "Canadian Nationalism" as an alternative to British-Imperial Nationalism (which is what Australia and New Zealand have developed) and if we do become annexed than it's simply their fault, intentional or not. You can't expect to replace a thousand years of history with 20 (King's citizenship act in 1946) and expect it to beat a culture developed in 1776 (American Independence).

The problem with Canadian Identity is the lack of a founding myth. The Yanks beat the floor against the world's sole superpower and came out of it with a liberal republic.

Even the Australians have a sort of founding myth through being founded by convicts.

Mackenzie King, Pearson and Trudeau, just said a couple of words and handed a document to their party members and got it signed. Not an exciting founding myth for a basis of a culture.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Why bother with a separate country? The current position occupied by Quebec in Canada already satisfies most Quebecois. They already have Canadian citizenship and can pretty much do what they want with their language and culture. In addition, they still get those lovely equalization payments.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
I would like to ask gerryh senate member if he could please post his total answer and views on the original question. Thank you much.

Omicron privy council said:
“Trudeau made it so all the smart, well educated Canadians might stay here, and he did not come from English Canada. Only French Canadians have a true sense of being Canadians, and all the rest forgot why they fled the American revolution in order to worship the Queen.”
I am Canadian.. my family did not flee the American revolution as you say... go to hell..

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Why bother with a separate country? The current position occupied by Quebec in Canada already satisfies most Quebecois. They already have Canadian citizenship and can pretty much do what they want with their language and culture. In addition, they still get those lovely equalization payments.

All about the gravy train, indeed.
Nevermind all the Government and Military jobs you could want from the "Government of Canada" from Victoria, British Columbia, to St. John, Newfoundland & Labrador