A two-state solution for Canada?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If they separate, they separate. No shared squat. They pay their portion of the national debt, they come up with their own money, their own travel documents, their own citizenship and they lose ALL advantages that they have being a part of Canada. Period!

You bet + maybe some back rent.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
The fact that Quebec would benefit from it too would just be an added bonus (or a negative side effect depending on one's feelings towards Quebec). But really, do Canadians hate Quebec so much that they'd be prepared to suffer themselves with the sole purpose of making Quebec suffer. Don't tell me our country comprises such sadists.

Ontarians*
well technically we could throw in the Prairies as well (despite the oil money, which won't last forever, someone else is paying for the subsidization of Albertanski's, Saskason's and Manitobaneko's wheat).

4. Regardless though of whether Canada split into two, three, or even multiple countries, it would be in everyone's interest to still maintain friendly ties and common citizenship at least, so as to maintain at least some stability after the aftermath of such a restructuring. Otherwise, a total breakdown of Canadian society would likely spill over into the Northern States, at least to a moderate degree.
Seperatism is a touchy issue in the States which would probably lead to a war, the Democrats wouldn't want to lose New England, California or the Pacific North West; whereas, the Republicans would love to see them leave in order to cement a Christian Theocratic Republic in North America.

The reverse would be true if Obama remains President and the Democrats regain the House. Effectively, North America right now is not quite a powder keg but make no distinction the pot has been simmering since the fall of the Soviet Union.

But I do agree that Quebec does stand more to gain than English Canada from collaboration, just as it stands more to lose in a showdown. That said, should we look more specifically at specific regions, then we could argue that the Maritimes would stand even more to gain or lose than Quebec.
I think it would be the Prairies,
the Maritimes might become a destitute nation but they will still have a strong culture and defendable terrain. Whereas, the Harperian Republic of Alberta; once it runs out of oil, would become even more destitute without Federal subsidization funds and would be forced to commit itself back to Ontario, or to the United States.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If they separate, they separate. No shared squat. They pay their portion of the national debt, they come up with their own money, their own travel documents, their own citizenship and they lose ALL advantages that they have being a part of Canada. Period!

I can agree that they pay their share of the national debt. As for printing their own money, both sides would benefit from the stability of a common currency, but in the end that would require common agreement on that. And in principle, the same applies to citizenship.

That said, it would seem to be mutually beneficial if we could in fact agree to share common citizenship at a minimum, and preferably also a shared currency, on the grounds that it allows for a larger North American market that would be more attractive to foreign investors.

To take an example:

If you're an investor from country X thinking of investing in Alberta, let's say, would you be more attracted to a Canada where your employees, as Canadian citizens, can freely move to your Quebec city office and vice versa, with your company having easy access to the most qualified workers of Pan-Canada without unnecessary immigration bureaucracy (and ideally without having to worry about currency fluctuations between the two regions too), or one in which you'd be limited to a non-Quebec workforce to pool from at your Calgary office, a Quebec-only workforce at your Montreal office (which can be problematic especially if we should be talking about a cutting-edge high-tech company that regularly has to go headhunting abroad for special talents), and have to convert currencies between your offices on a regular basis too?

Now most companies can work around these obstacles to a degree, but they'd rather not have to work around them in the first place. Especially with such a small population, and thus labour and consumer market as it is already.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Is the military a mom and pop operation? We might not have a massive army like the United States but we still manufactur our "shock and awe" toys in Quebec.

Are these mom and pop stores?

1. CAE Inc (Montreal)
2. Rheinthall-Canada (Quebec City)
3. Bombardier (Montreal)
4. GDC (Toronto and Montreal)
5. SNC-Lavalin Group (Quebec)
Héroux-Devtek Inc (Quebec)
Bell Helicopter Textron Canada Ltd (Mirabel - Montreal)
8. Pratt & Whitney Canada Corp (Montreal)

Are you kidding yourself? What industrial capacity we still have left is essentially split between Ontario and Quebec, the only thing left in the west are transit fees, lumber, oil and grain and the Maritimes is essentially a little bit of industry with fishing.

It's Quebec who has the most to lose if it became isolated from Canada and North America. Nothing bad could ever happen to Western Canada unless something managed to knock out the United States, China and Europe in one go.
I suppose you should be asking Parizeau.

How many of those industries will stay in Quebec if Quebec ever does decide to leave? I'm betting there will be another mass exodus to get away from nationalization.

Last edited:

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I suppose you should be asking Parizeau.

How many of those industries will stay in Quebec if Quebec ever does decide to leave? I'm betting there will be another mass exodus to get away from nationalization.

Who said anything about leaving?
It's expensive to move those assets and those companies have more than enough money to elect military hawks who'll be willing to spend 4%, plus weapon purchases, of Quebec's GDP on the armed forces.

Considering most of these companies are subsidiaries of even larger foreign companies, they probably would benefit the most from a militarized (fighting or otherwise) break up of Canada.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
it would be no fricken different than them having an office in New York and opening in Alberta. Quebec would be a different country, albeit, I wold lay odds that it would not necessarily be all that stable or conducive to a multi national setting up a head office until it proved it could survive.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
it would be no fricken different than them having an office in New York and opening in Alberta. Quebec would be a different country, albeit, I wold lay odds that it would not necessarily be all that stable or conducive to a multi national setting up a head office until it proved it could survive.

There would be a big difference. The US has a market 10 times Canada's population. As a result, it's more than worth whatever bureaucratic hassles a company must go through to access such a huge labour and consumer market. With pan-Canada having 1/10 that market, and itself being split with separate parts having their own monetary policies, and possibly citizenship policies too, suddenly smaller multinationals might start to think it not worth the hassle for such a small market.

In short, owing to the population, you can't compare Canada with, let's say, the US, China, India, Russia, the EU (though multiple countries, most do share a common currency and free labour movement and free trade within the Union, not to mention the UK itself is 5 times Canada's population), etc. Population-wise, we're light weights.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Who said anything about leaving?
It's expensive to move those assets and those companies have more than enough money to elect military hawks who'll be willing to spend 4%, plus weapon purchases, of Quebec's GDP on the armed forces.

Considering most of these companies are subsidiaries of even larger foreign companies, they probably would benefit the most from a militarized (fighting or otherwise) break up of Canada.
It's expensive to have your investments and plant nationalized too - or to lose the subsidies that lured you there.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There would be a big difference. The US has a market 10 times Canada's population. As a result, it's more than worth whatever bureaucratic hassles a company must go through to access such a huge labour and consumer market. With pan-Canada having 1/10 that market, and itself being split with separate parts having their own monetary policies, and possibly citizenship policies too, suddenly smaller multinationals might start to think it not worth the hassle for such a small market.

In short, owing to the population, you can't compare Canada with, let's say, the US, China, India, Russia, the EU (though multiple countries, most do share a common currency and free labour movement and free trade within the Union, not to mention the UK itself is 5 times Canada's population), etc. Population-wise, we're light weights.

and what company's are you willing to sell out our independence, sovereignty, and dignity for?

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
It's expensive to have your investments and plant nationalized too - or to lose the subsidies that lured you there.

Then Quebec and Cuba are going to have a swell relationship, one dating back to that nut Trudeau, if they nationalize privately owned armanent industries.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
and what company's are you willing to sell out our independence, sovereignty, and dignity for?

We share a common citizenship and a lot more already. If anything, the two-state solution being proposed would give both English-Canada and Queebc even more sovereignty from one another. However, there is a limit to sovereignty. Imagine if each town in Canada had its own passports and currency. Good luck with that.

As for selling ourselves out, that just empty rhetoric. A country needs markets. Go back to the 1800s and we needed markets. Not much has changed since, except that globalization has intensified that need. Unless you want to go back to the horse and buggy in the name of sovereignty? I'b be willing to sacrifice some sovereignty (heck, all developed countries have in fact developed precisely by sacrificing sovereignty in moderation for larger world markets). It's been going on for well over a century.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
well, I'm not willing to bend over and get fu cked up the ass to make things easier for the quebecois.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
well, I'm not willing to bend over and get fu cked up the ass to make things easier for the quebecois.

Such a solution would make things easier for the Quebecois, but also for us. So if I understand you correctly, you'd be prepared to screw Canada over just to screw the Quebecois over? This reminds me of a story:

One day God offers a man one wish and will grant his neighbour double. The man thinks about it and finally says:

God, make me blind in one eye.

So if Canada has the option of adopting a policy that would benefit both it and Quebec, or one that would hurt it and Quebec, I sure hope we have not stooped so low as a nation that we would choose to hurt ourselves just to hurt Quebec even more.

Nothing is eternal and eventually, the political structure of Canada WILL change.

The question though, is will the change be smooth, orderly and friendly, or chaotic and hateful?

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
We share a common citizenship and a lot more already. If anything, the two-state solution being proposed would give both English-Canada and Queebc even more sovereignty from one another. However, there is a limit to sovereignty. Imagine if each town in Canada had its own passports and currency. Good luck with that.

As for selling ourselves out, that just empty rhetoric. A country needs markets. Go back to the 1800s and we needed markets. Not much has changed since, except that globalization has intensified that need. Unless you want to go back to the horse and buggy in the name of sovereignty? I'b be willing to sacrifice some sovereignty (heck, all developed countries have in fact developed precisely by sacrificing sovereignty in moderation for larger world markets). It's been going on for well over a century.

Eventually the market argument becomes a mute point, even at the moment between us and the Americans, we are frankly losing big time to quantitative (cheap plastic) industry in Asia and quality industry in Europe.

Creighton's commercial thesis of the "Empire of the St. Lawrence", provides us insight as to why Canada was formed and why Canada will eventually be dissolved.
Mainly put, the commercial elites came together thinking they could create a west-east trading empire but the present has proven contrary, most of the trade being north-south, the funds ending up in Ottawa and Quebec, the impossible to defend Prairies, and the sinkholes that tend to be western Canada and the Maritimes.

This runs contrary to Creighton's theory, which predicted that the commercial elites in the St. Lawrence would be independent and rival those in the United States, which is clearly not the case as we pay second fiddle to the Yanks.