7-year-old branded 'racist' for asking student about skin colour

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We thought so too. So did the principal, after I made it perfectly clear the education system is meant to educate, not indoctrinate. Which means reasoned oppositions to what the teacher is saying, are legitimate in a classroom.

Hence the apology my youngest received, from both the principal and teacher.
I would imagine that your mere presence would intimidate them into being reasonable. ;-)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Sorry, I was referring to this part of the article...
I should have made that more clear.

Gotcha'. Didn't disagree with the sentiment though. ;)

We thought so too. So did the principal, after I made it perfectly clear the education system is meant to educate, not indoctrinate. Which means reasoned oppositions to what the teacher is saying, are legitimate in a classroom.

Hence the apology my youngest received, from both the principal and teacher.

And if a teacher is leading a classroom discussion, their opinion should not be part of the mix. They should be leading a discussion, not dictating thoughts. We're talking opinions here, not mathematics.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I definitely wouldn't have said: 'are you brown because you're from Africa?'

But I grew up in a very left-wing, politically correct neighborhood, so we were probably more educated than that. :p

That explains your lack of intelligence all right. At least you can blame poor parenting.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And if a teacher is leading a classroom discussion, their opinion should not be part of the mix. They should be leading a discussion, not dictating thoughts. We're talking opinions here, not mathematics.
That's the problem with the education system now. As we saw in the thread about teachers and unions using kids to further their agenda.

I can understand a teacher putting some of their life experiences into their lessons. I had a teacher that taught in Barbados who shared many of his experiences, we even swapped recipes for turtle soup. His for some species of sea turtle, mine for snapping turtle. I think it safe to say that he played a significant role in why I have an enthusiasm for ethnic foods and culture.

Conversely, I had a history teacher that generalized First Nations, as some do here. He believed every myth and stereotype. That affected his ability to teach Canadian/First Nations history in an open and honest manner. Just like those members here, are unable to discuss Canada/First Nations relations, open and honestly.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He's still dumb for his age.

I agree that the statement wasn't racist, but it's as stupid as asking if I'm white because I come from Canada.

The worst part of this is that the right will use it as an anchor for libertarian nonsense or the denunciation of 'political correctness'.

It's more than politicallly incorrect, and it's not racist, it's just incorrect. This kind of thing should have been acceptable in the 80s, maybe, but kids these days should be smarter than this.

HHMM Guess you went from Diapers to pure adulthood and missed the potty training. You condemn the child because????????

Children then should not ask questions because they may sound stupid to an adult. HHHMMMMMMMMMMMM

Please delve into the many issues in the UK because of policies such as was mentioned in the article.

Nanny State gone wild with Political Correctness is the present condition for the past 20 years or so in the UK and it is still coming up with dumb ass rules that cause more conflict, not resolution.

Why a teacher even removed the word God when kids were singing an Edith Piaf song a few weeks ago. Care to explain that one???????????????

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's more than politicallly incorrect, and it's not racist, it's just incorrect. This kind of thing should have been acceptable in the 80s, maybe, but kids these days should be smarter than this.

Are you saying that brown skinned people don't come from Africa? None of them? Why do some people in the US call themselves 'African Americans'? That would seem to be an odd thing to do. Maybe you could have a new career, teaching them how wrong they are.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I definitely wouldn't have said: 'are you brown because you're from Africa?'

But I grew up in a very left-wing, politically correct neighborhood, so we were probably more educated than that. :p

Ahh I see now. This child not having had your enlightened upbringing, in area where you had the early opportunity to experience things that others had not.

So because of this, the child is an idiot for not having had that opportunity. So lack of opportunity compared to others then is a legitimate reason to penalize the child as an idiot. Interesting point of view.

Would your opinion of the child be Liberal, Conservative, Politically Correct, Contrarian, Libertarian or just plain dumb view of children in general????

So then it would be logical to come to a conclusion. Those that are not as enlightened as you were / are suffer as idiots. What about those that are clearly more intelligent than yourself. I would hazard a guess there may be a few amongst the 7 billion plus people on this planet. How would you rate these select few?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I remember in high school arguing with a French teacher about the pronunciation of the French word 'foque' (i.e. 'seal', as in the sea mammal). I insisted it was pronounced exactly like the English word F U C K, but the teacher refused to listen until I finally pulled out a dictionary with the IPA to prove it. Why the teacher had such an issue with it beats me since it's not even the same language anyway.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I remember in high school arguing with a french teacher about the pronunciation of the French word 'foque' (i.e. 'seal', as in the sea mammal). I insisted it was pronounced exactly like the English word F U C K, but the teacher refused to listen until I finally pulled out a dictionary with the IPA to prove it. Why the teacher had such an issue with it beats me since it's not even the same language anyway.

I know what you mean, we had a female science teacher and during the course the German scientist Kuntz came up and she pronounced it every which way except the way it was spelt! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It doesn't surprise me that this happened in Britain, one of the countries worst hit by the views of the loony left.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why is Karl Turned being railed?

Karl Turner, Labour MP for Kingston upon Hull East, last night insisted that the school and Hull City Council had a statutory duty to take racism seriously.

‘However, having spoken to Hayley, I’m satisfied that her seven-year-old son, Elliott, was not being racist in his remarks but just inquisitive,’ he said.

‘It seems the matter has been taken out of all proportion and common sense seems to have gone completely out of the window.’

Read more: Boy, 7, branded a racist for asking schoolmate: 'Are you brown because you come from Africa?' | Mail Online

His statement is quite reasonable.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's the problem with the education system now. As we saw in the thread about teachers and unions using kids to further their agenda.

I can understand a teacher putting some of their life experiences into their lessons. I had a teacher that taught in Barbados who shared many of his experiences, we even swapped recipes for turtle soup. His for some species of sea turtle, mine for snapping turtle. I think it safe to say that he played a significant role in why I have an enthusiasm for ethnic foods and culture.

Conversely, I had a history teacher that generalized First Nations, as some do here. He believed every myth and stereotype. That affected his ability to teach Canadian/First Nations history in an open and honest manner. Just like those members here, are unable to discuss Canada/First Nations relations, open and honestly.

I don't disagree. That other thread you mentioned strikes me as being about unprofessional behaviour with a clear conflict of interest. Objectivity is incredibly important in teaching, especially with children where their mind is so impressionable.

I understand where personality becomes part of your job, I would never expect a teacher not to share an aspect of themselves that is a significant part of who they are. Age appropriateness and relevance to the topic at hand notwithstanding of course. Even if something is believed completely and wholeheartedly, we should still have the capacity to recognize the difference between fact and opinion. My own values, thoughts and opinions are my reality. But when I'm sharing them with others I'm able to acknowledge that my 'reality' may not be someone else's.

If you're profession is to educate, then one should be professional enough to apply a little objective assessment to what's being taught.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'd say there are very very few questions if any that are out of bounds for a seven year old? Weren't we taught as kids that there is "no such thing as a stupid question"?