7-year-old branded 'racist' for asking student about skin colour

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Okay, first of all. Nobody can know something if they just don't know it. There really is no such thing as a stupid question. Only condescending answers. People ask questions because they don't know the answer, especially kids!

Second of all, calling a seven year old an idiot?? That's low class.

Oh didums.

Well, I'm sure he has alot of time to develop his other faculties, but hopefully this kind of thing will be more self-evident to 7 year olds in the future.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
He's still dumb for his age.

I agree that the statement wasn't racist, but it's as stupid as asking if I'm white because I come from Canada.

The worst part of this is that the right will use it as an anchor for libertarian nonsense or the denunciation of 'political correctness'.

It's more than politicallly incorrect, and it's not racist, it's just incorrect. This kind of thing should have been acceptable in the 80s, maybe, but kids these days should be smarter than this.

Sounds to me like you're pretty dumb for his age too. Kids say the darndest things when they don't understand something. They don't know what PC is at that age. You should realize it's pretty goddamn non-PC to call a 7 year old dumb.

I personally don't give a sh*t about PC at age 44. I have no problem calling a spade a spade. If someone is offended by my blunt and direct comments that is their issue not mine. At least everyone understands everything I say on the first try.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Sounds to me like you're pretty dumb for his age too. Kids say the darndest things when they don't understand something. They don't know what PC is at that age. You should realize it's pretty goddamn non-PC to call a 7 year old dumb.

I personally don't give a sh*t about PC at age 44. I have no problem calling a spade a spade. If someone is offended by my blunt and direct comments that is their issue not mine. At least everyone understands everything I say on the first try.

It's also not politically correct to call a child racist, when he's simply ignorant. :)

I guess those lefty profs have a few things to learn about political correctness as well.

Or maybe this discussion about political correctness is just old and tired anyway.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's also not politically correct to call a child racist, when he's simply ignorant. :)

I guess those lefty profs have a few things to learn about political correctness as well.

Or maybe this discussion about political correctness is just old and tired anyway.

No it's stupid for an adult to call a child of seven a racist. Because an adult, unlike a seven year old, actually should know better.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You should'a quit while you were still smarter than the seven-year-old.

Politically correct isn't the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Maybe the PC crowd should look at the world through the eyes of a kid.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You should'a quit while you were still smarter than the seven-year-old.

When was that exactly? ;)

Politically correct isn't the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Maybe the PC crowd should look at the world through the eyes of a kid.

If the world looked through the eyes of a kid, there would be no PC crowd and no racism.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thaaatt's right...

The mother of a seven-year-old boy was told to sign a school form admitting he was racist after he asked another pupil about the colour of his skin.

Elliott Dearlove had asked a five-year-old boy in the playground whether he was ‘brown because he was from Africa’.

His mother, Hayley White, 29, said she received a phone call last month to say her son had been at the centre of a ‘racist incident’.

She was then summoned to a meeting with Elliott, his teacher and the deputy head of Griffin Primary School in Hull.

Read more: Boy, 7, branded a racist for asking schoolmate: 'Are you brown because you come from Africa?' | Mail Online

Sounds like the kid is brighter than the teacher. Nothing beats racism like ignorance! :lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
‘It seems the matter has been taken out of all proportion and common sense seems to have gone completely out of the window.’

Truer words have never been spoken.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Thaaatt's right...

The mother of a seven-year-old boy was told to sign a school form admitting he was racist after he asked another pupil about the colour of his skin.

Elliott Dearlove had asked a five-year-old boy in the playground whether he was ‘brown because he was from Africa’.

His mother, Hayley White, 29, said she received a phone call last month to say her son had been at the centre of a ‘racist incident’.

She was then summoned to a meeting with Elliott, his teacher and the deputy head of Griffin Primary School in Hull.

Read more: Boy, 7, branded a racist for asking schoolmate: 'Are you brown because you come from Africa?' | Mail Online

What idiots. If he were expressing some belief in his moral superiority owing to his skin colour, that would be racist. Ignorance is not racism and that was a fair question, especially if perfectly innocent with no intent to harm.

Also, did the school try to educate the kid since?

Silly me. Now that I've read the link, it would seem the fault lied not with the school, but with the law. As it turns out, the school was legally obliged to follow that procedure once the "brown" kid complained of a racist incident.

Seeing that the "brown" kid himself is likely seven years old or so, I would not blame him either. But in the end, the school was merely doing what it was legally obligated to do.

Maybe a letter-writing or petition campaing to have that law reworded would be in order.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The kid asked a perfectly reasonable question, considering he's 7.

Despite what some dental floss people think, it's not a sign of stupidity, it's a reasonable question, especially when many people with colored skin identify themselves as African-Whatever.

People with last names that start with Mc or Mac are often asked if they are Irish or Scottish; it has to do with heritage, not where you lived last week.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As it turns out, the school was legally obliged to follow that procedure once the "brown" kid complained of a racist incident.
The child didn't complain, his mother did.

But in the end, the school was merely doing what it was legally obligated to do.
They're legally obligated to have a zero tolerance for bullying.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The child didn't complain, his mother did.

They're legally obligated to have a zero tolerance for bullying.

Wouldn't it be a bit a stretch to consider this to be bullying? Simply a question from a curious kid, who meant absolutely no harm that I can see. Is commenting on colour of skin any more repugnant than commenting on colour of eyes or hair?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
My son was suspended for saying that something, not someone, was gay when he was in grade 8. That was in '10.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Wouldn't it be a bit a stretch to consider this to be bullying? Simply a question from a curious kid, who meant absolutely no harm that I can see. Is commenting on colour of skin any more repugnant than commenting on colour of eyes or hair?
My insinuation was two fold, the child that asked the question, is being bullied, and the fact that schools are legally obligated to do many things.

They always take the easiest route. Upholding all their legal obligations, especially the important ones, requires an effort.

Unions don't like effort.

My son was suspended for saying that something, not someone, was gay when he was in grade 8. That was in '10.
Mine sent home for stating that homosexuality was not natural in his opinion.

Ironic, isn't it that our educators are such idiots? :lol::lol:
That's what you get when you unionize the educators. They become all about themselves.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My insinuation was two fold, the child that asked the question, is being bullied, and the fact that schools are legally obligated to do many things.

They always take the easiest route. Upholding all their legal obligations, especially the important ones, requires an effort.

Mine sent home for stating that homosexuality was not natural in his opinion.

That's what you get when you unionize the educators. They become all about themselves.

You're sensible on all counts this morning.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

That's what happens when context and intent is completely removed from the equation. PC is about making it all about the end result with no emphasis on on the meaning behind it. Political correctness is a huge failure.

I'm not a fan of unions in general, but would this type of thing not be mostly at the level of the board/principal?

Mine sent home for stating that homosexuality was natural in his opinion.

Well that was ridiculous.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm not a fan of unions in general, but would this type of thing not be mostly at the level of the board/principal?
Sorry, I was referring to this part of the article...

Last year, it was revealed that teachers are branding thousands of children racist or homophobic following playground squabbles.

More than 20,000 pupils aged 11 or younger were put on record for so-called hate crimes such as using the word ‘gaylord’.

I should have made that more clear.

Well that was ridiculous.
We thought so too. So did the principal, after I made it perfectly clear the education system is meant to educate, not indoctrinate. Which means reasoned oppositions to what the teacher is saying, are legitimate in a classroom.

Hence the apology my youngest received, from both the principal and teacher.