Pope Benedict XVI to resign due to ‘deteriorating’ health

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Pope Benedict XVI to resign February 28 | World | News | National Post

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday that he would resign on Feb. 28 because he was simply too infirm to carry on — the first pontiff to do so in nearly 600 years. The decision sets the stage for a conclave to elect a new pope before the end of March.

The 85-year-old pope announced his decision in Latin during a meeting of Vatican cardinals on Monday morning.

He emphasized that carrying out the duties of being pope — the leader of more than a billion Roman Catholics worldwide — requires “both strength of mind and body.”

“After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths due to an advanced age are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry,” he told the cardinals. “I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only by words and deeds but no less with prayer and suffering.

“However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of St. Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary — strengths which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.”

The last pope to resign was Pope Gregory XII, who stepped down in 1415 in a deal to end the Great Western Schism among competing papal claimants.

Benedict called his choice “a decision of great importance for the life of the church.”

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday that he would resign on Feb. 28 because he was simply too infirm to carry on — the first pontiff to do so in nearly 600 years. The decision sets the stage for a conclave to elect a new pope before the end of March.

The 85-year-old pope announced his decision in Latin during a meeting of Vatican cardinals on Monday morning.

He emphasized that carrying out the duties of being pope — the leader of more than a billion Roman Catholics worldwide — requires “both strength of mind and body.”

“After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths due to an advanced age are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry,” he told the cardinals. “I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only by words and deeds but no less with prayer and suffering.

“However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of St. Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary — strengths which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.”

The last pope to resign was Pope Gregory XII, who stepped down in 1415 in a deal to end the Great Western Schism among competing papal claimants.

Benedict called his choice “a decision of great importance for the life of the church.”

Sorry Goober, didn't mean to "steal your thunder". I'm just not sure how to delete mine.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Well kudos to him. Maybe he has Alzheimers or something. This habit of voting in pontiffs when they are sometimes near death, has to change. He does look frail and too much scandal has surrounded his sitting.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Good. Hopefully his successor does something about the child abuse rather than protect the abusers.

If one man in charge of such a huge organization can do that. I'm not even sure that Christ himself could pull off that miracle!

Most dead men cant do anything.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Well, that's what you get when you elect popes that are antiques. Try electing ones that are younger, if you want them to last longer.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was out for breakfast today and saw this news on a TV in the restaurant. I ordered the eggs benedict as a result. It was delicious.