Are people just getting too selfish and Greedy?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Did you know you can get cash discounts if you ask retailers?
Where? Cash used to talk but now - it's been a long long time since I've seen anyone care. They pay large fees for using the debit/credit cards. Just another place where banks are hard on the economy because those charges are built into our purchases. Most of us assume that when we hand over our debit card, the money instantly comes out of our account. I'm not sure how it works but I do know that in my last job in the Okanagan, due to high debit charges (Moneris in this case), I only sent the charges in once a week. They must have a way of putting a hold on the funds via the record of scanning the card. It saved them money but at the same time, they had to wait for payments to actually be in their hands.
Technology is great! Bet all of you who own Blackberry's are not thinking that right now. Their problems have now hit Canada and everyone's BB is going down. They have no idea when the issue will be repaired because of the backlog of data.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I know petros, I know.....

Hey, did you get a raise this year? Better benefits? Longer paid vacation? I sincerely hope so because you will probably be among a select few people I know who did.

Piss off and kiss off. My heart is broken. How come Mormons could not have set up anything as strong as the Catholic bank?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Where? Cash used to talk but now - it's been a long long time since I've seen anyone care. They pay large fees for using the debit/credit cards. Just another place where banks are hard on the economy because those charges are built into our purchases. Most of us assume that when we hand over our debit card, the money instantly comes out of our account. I'm not sure how it works but I do know that in my last job in the Okanagan, due to high debit charges (Moneris in this case), I only sent the charges in once a week. They must have a way of putting a hold on the funds via the record of scanning the card. It saved them money but at the same time, they had to wait for payments to actually be in their hands.
Technology is great! Bet all of you who own Blackberry's are not thinking that right now. Their problems have now hit Canada and everyone's BB is going down. They have no idea when the issue will be repaired because of the backlog of data.

Debit charges come out of your account immediately and C.C. charges are held against your account immediately.

VanIsle Technology is great! Bet all of you who own Blackberry's are not thinking that right now. Their problems have now hit Canada and everyone's BB is going down. They have no idea when the issue will be repaired because of the backlog of data.[/QUOTE said:
It seems to me they are a kind of sickness, just as incessantly talking on a cell phone is. Mind you I hate talking on telephones period. Nowadays I see young people incessantly fidgeting with these gadgets, seems like a big waste of time to me. Don't get me wrong I think cell phones are great, if you are travelling, in an emergency etc. but for idle conversation, I'd rather wait until I see the person.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
And just exactly what would those be? My pension that I paid into? My medical coverage that I even pay a premium for? My dental coverage premiums which I fund 100%?

Canada Pension is not covered by what you paid in. Taxpayers make up the difference. Are you going to get off the government tit or are you too selfish to give up your goodies?

... we have two choices, adapt or whine.

We could take the money from the seniors (you know...the richest generation in the history of Canada and the one that artificially raised its own standard of living with deficit financing and then sticking their children and their children's children with the bills) and spread it around

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Very very few teachers volunteer for extracurricular activities. A little after school Volleyball and a little afterschool Basketball.

That may be true where you are, but here in my daughters' schools, 80% of the teachers are involved in clubs or teams. The woman who coaches middle school soccer does it 4 days a week for 10 weeks (2x per week for the boys, 2x per week for the girls), that's from 3:30 to 6pm. After that season ends, she does other stuff. The faculty guy who looks after the girls' high school hockey team works with them 2 or 3 days a week, until 6 or 6:30 pm.

There's hockey, basketball, volleyball, badminton, soccer, field hockey, cheerleading, chess, band, choir, etc etc etc...and every one of them needs one faculty member involved. The cheerleading is every Sunday for 4 hours, all year long. I'd never claim teachers didn't work after school hours.

As others have said, the teachers are paid based on 200 or so days per year; around here, if they wish, the pay is then prorated over the whole year, so they have money coming in during the summer. They start back in school the second last week of August, two weeks before the kids come back in.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Postal workers take feds to court over back-to-work order

OTTAWA — Canada Post workers are taking the Harper government to court in a case that could test the Conservatives' aggressive stance on the rights of unionized labour.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is challenging the constitutionality of the law which forced its members back to work in June. Close to 50,000 Canada Post workers were locked out by the Crown corporation in June after 12 days of rotating strikes by the union.

The majority Conservatives had cited the fragile economy when they decided to go ahead with a back-to-work bill, a move they've repeated in other labour disputes since.

But the union says such laws take away workers' rights. "This back-to-work legislation was unjust," union president Denis Lemelin told a news conference Wednesday. "It was the democratic rights of workers that were attacked.

"There is a fundamental principle here -- the freedom of association."

The union has already challenged several elements of the legislation, including the selection of the arbitrator. It says the judge chosen by Labour Minister Lisa Raitt has no expertise in labour relations and also doesn't speak French.

A spokeswoman for Raitt said the government was acting to protect the public interest by legislating the workers back to their jobs. "There was evidence that it was causing serious harm to small businesses across the country," Jana Regimbal said in an email. She did not comment directly on the lawsuit.

At the same time as the postal workers news conference, Air Canada's flight attendants announced they're moving to strike just after midnight, despite efforts by Raitt to prevent the action. Constitutional lawyer Paul Cavalluzzo, hired to represent the postal union, says the Conservative government has become "addicted" to back-to-work laws. "It's an important case because we see now we have a federal government that is very cavalier with the fundamental freedoms of workers today," he said.

One element of the case hinges on asking the court to determine whether the Charter protects the right to strike, he added.

Cavalluzzo said he expects the case eventually will be heard by the Supreme Court of Canada.

"It's not just the postal workers whose rights have been attacked, it's the CAW in their context, it's the CUPE and the flight attendant situation...," he said. "If workers rights are going to be trampled on so cavalierly, then I think workers have to stand up and the only avenue left for them is to fight for their constitutional rights in the courts."

CTV Winnipeg- Postal workers take feds to court over back-to-work order - CTV News

Poor hard done by government workers expected to show up every day just to get their supersized paycheque and pension that everyone knows is their god given right to have.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Canada Pension is not covered by what you paid in. Taxpayers make up the difference. Are you going to get off the government tit or are you too selfish to give up your goodies?

F**K off, I didn't set the premiums for Canada Pension, but I would imagine to ease your own conscience, you are volunteering extra payments so when you retire (if someone hasn't killed you first) you won't be a drag on the public tit! Besides, do you have a statement of my contribution or are you just blowing smoke out your arse?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh, I get it. You're allowed to have an indexed pension, but not to ask for a raise while you're working.

Everyone should be allowed to ask for a raise. I think that would be covered in "freedom of speech".

So we need a nice Soviet style wage and price cap?

Sorry I don't really have the answer to that. I only know what doesn't work. I think every job should be evaluated by a panel according to the attributes of the job- education required, skills required, environmental conditions, degree of responsibility, amount of concentration required, hazards encountered, labour intensity, etc. etc. and each attribute indexed and totalled to set a factor (to be reviewed periodically as conditions change) So if a brain surgeon comes out at .99, a plumber at .86, an oil rig charge hand at .83, a carpenter at .77 then those are the numbers used in the formula. I think this would avoid a lot of job action and squabbling.