Are people just getting too selfish and Greedy?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You can go longer than 30 years depending on your down payment but it's not a mortgage insured by CMHC
New Mortgage Rules Now Official

Effective March 18, 2011, it will become harder to buy a new home or consolidate debt into your mortgage.
That’s due to three new changes announced today by Finance Minister Jim Flaherty:
  1. A 30-year maximum amortization on insured mortgages over 80% LTV
  2. An 85% LTV limit on insured refinances
  3. Elimination of government insurance on secured lines of credit (aka., HELOCs)
Flaherty says these regulations are meant to “(encourage) hard-working Canadian families to save by investing in their homes and future.”
Here is the full press release.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Come on, JLM. How does holding down the wages and benefits of one group of ordinary Canadians help you in any way? One of the great problems with modern Canada is that the income of the average Canadian is now so low that both husband and wife have to work; in fact, many Canadians have to hold more than one job in order to make ends meet. One of the results of this is an ever growing mountain of debt as people borrow to finance what they find it impossible to save for. At the same time people at the boardroom level are paid salaries that are entirely out proportion to their contribution to society. It is a simple fact that if corporate executives are going to be paid millions a year, then there is simply not enough left to pay the average worker a decent salary.

After careful evaluation of your contributions my team of experts have concluded that you are a simple minded person incapable of spotting the pea no matter how slowly the shells are shuffled. Greedy little people bother you but greedy banks and financial parasites seem to make no impression on you whatever. Suppose you do get your wish and all the little people shut their pie holes and get back to the oars, so what, the filthy rich will still not make Humpty get back up on the wall. You see they shoved him off in the first place and they don't give a flying **** about anything or anybody but their own bloated meatbags. In simpler terms their thing is to make the nations suffer till they drop to their knees and beg the leave of their masters, the stinking rotten banking filth. Of course you are one of those unfortunates who believe the rich and powerful will leave you alone if you just stay in your hovel and do nothing to rock the present leaking boat. They'll grind you last, but best.

Of course the organized teachers are a pretentious lot. For the most part the majority of them are flunkies in waiting who pretend they are a professional association rather than a working class union. Screw them, they are the front line of misinformation, molders of docile mindless 3rd grade citizens who will perpetuate the ****ty existence in the tacky mess we call western civilization. insert soothing smiley face It is the abandonment of the government by the citizen at the behest of the corporations which has led to the present crap. Western governments are already firmly in the complete control of the internationalists, already they do not look to the needs and demands of their citizens.

You were actually starting to make sense until you went off the deep end with your rant about teachers. Your comments show that you understand little to nothing about the difficulties involved in modern education. Unfortunately, that did not stop you from spouting uninformed nonsense. A word of advice - next time stop with your first paragraph and lay off the personal attacks, they do not strengthen your point.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Come on, JLM. How does holding down the wages and benefits of one group of ordinary Canadians help you in any way? One of the great problems with modern Canada is that the income of the average Canadian is now so low that both husband and wife have to work; in fact, many Canadians have to hold more than one job in order to make ends meet. One of the results of this is an ever growing mountain of debt as people borrow to finance what they find it impossible to save for. At the same time people at the boardroom level are paid salaries that are entirely out proportion to their contribution to society. It is a simple fact that if corporate executives are going to be paid millions a year, then there is simply not enough left to pay the average worker a decent salary.

You were actually starting to make sense until you went off the deep end with your rant about teachers. Your comments show that you understand little to nothing about the difficulties involved in modern education. Unfortunately, that did not stop you from spouting uninformed nonsense. A word of advice - next time stop with your first paragraph and lay off the personal attacks, they do not strengthen your point.

I think you have it all backwards, it's not the incomes that are low it's the prices that are high as the result of a self-fulfilling prophesy. House prices started to sky rocket AFTER two income families became the norm. I wouldn't exactly call it a "rant" about teachers, I was just using them as one example to demonstrate selfishness and greed (by no means the only one) but for the number of hours they work in a year their salaries are already disproportionate. I can accept that your opinion differs from mine but that doesn't make me wrong. In 1957 you could buy a good house between $6000 and $10,000 at a time when a good salary was $4000 a year. Now that same salary is $50,000 a year but can you buy a good house for $75,000- $125,000? I think that will give you your answer! :smile:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Postal workers take feds to court over back-to-work order

OTTAWA — Canada Post workers are taking the Harper government to court in a case that could test the Conservatives' aggressive stance on the rights of unionized labour.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is challenging the constitutionality of the law which forced its members back to work in June. Close to 50,000 Canada Post workers were locked out by the Crown corporation in June after 12 days of rotating strikes by the union.

The majority Conservatives had cited the fragile economy when they decided to go ahead with a back-to-work bill, a move they've repeated in other labour disputes since.

But the union says such laws take away workers' rights. "This back-to-work legislation was unjust," union president Denis Lemelin told a news conference Wednesday. "It was the democratic rights of workers that were attacked.

"There is a fundamental principle here -- the freedom of association."

The union has already challenged several elements of the legislation, including the selection of the arbitrator. It says the judge chosen by Labour Minister Lisa Raitt has no expertise in labour relations and also doesn't speak French.

A spokeswoman for Raitt said the government was acting to protect the public interest by legislating the workers back to their jobs. "There was evidence that it was causing serious harm to small businesses across the country," Jana Regimbal said in an email. She did not comment directly on the lawsuit.

At the same time as the postal workers news conference, Air Canada's flight attendants announced they're moving to strike just after midnight, despite efforts by Raitt to prevent the action. Constitutional lawyer Paul Cavalluzzo, hired to represent the postal union, says the Conservative government has become "addicted" to back-to-work laws. "It's an important case because we see now we have a federal government that is very cavalier with the fundamental freedoms of workers today," he said.

One element of the case hinges on asking the court to determine whether the Charter protects the right to strike, he added.

Cavalluzzo said he expects the case eventually will be heard by the Supreme Court of Canada.

"It's not just the postal workers whose rights have been attacked, it's the CAW in their context, it's the CUPE and the flight attendant situation...," he said. "If workers rights are going to be trampled on so cavalierly, then I think workers have to stand up and the only avenue left for them is to fight for their constitutional rights in the courts."

CTV Winnipeg- Postal workers take feds to court over back-to-work order - CTV News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's not just the postal workers whose rights have been attacked, it's the
CAW in their context, it's the CUPE and the flight attendant situation...," he
said. "If workers rights are going to be trampled on so cavalierly, then I
think workers have to stand up and the only avenue left for them is to fight
for their constitutional rights in the courts."
It's illegal to force someone to do something they don't wish to do.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
maybe i'm brain dead too, but could someone tell how the banks accumulate billions in profit, if they are
on the side of 'us'.?

Actually bank profits are something we have a great deal of control over. A good portion of bank profits come from the myriad of credit cards that people carry a balance on anywhere from 18-28%. If you don't want to see the huge bank profits pay off your c.c.s every month. :smile:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think you have it all backwards, it's not the incomes that are low it's the prices that are high as the result of a self-fulfilling prophesy. House prices started to sky rocket AFTER two income families became the norm. I wouldn't exactly call it a "rant" about teachers, I was just using them as one example to demonstrate selfishness and greed (by no means the only one) but for the number of hours they work in a year their salaries are already disproportionate. I can accept that your opinion differs from mine but that doesn't make me wrong. In 1957 you could buy a good house between $6000 and $10,000 at a time when a good salary was $4000 a year. Now that same salary is $50,000 a year but can you buy a good house for $75,000- $125,000? I think that will give you your answer! :smile:

Actually the rant I was referring to was Blackleaf's comment, not yours. My post had two quotes in it, one from you and one from him.

As for your comment regarding incomes, you and I will just have to disagree. I don't believe in a low wage economy just to keep prices down. We have lots of those around the word and they are rife with poverty, crime, and many other social ills. There are far too many Canadians who have to resort to food banks and other charities simply because they are paid such low salaries.

And you are as wrong about teachers as Blackleaf was. Teachers don't just work the school hours - almost all of them engage in considerable amounts of marking and preparation outside of school hours. In addition to that, many teachers engage in extracurricular activities such as coaching, the running of clubs, and drama. When I taught I knew very few teachers who did nothing after the official school day had ended. Typically I spent at least two hours in marking and preparation after school hours. And there is another point. Extending the school day would mean extending it for students as well. Do you really want school age children attending classes for more than six hours a day? And, I suppose you also think that teachers get holidays that are too long. It may make you happy to know that teachers get paid for a yearly contract of 200 days (at least in this province). In other words they are not paid during the summer holidays.

I am always amazed when people use teachers as an example of what is wrong with Canada, especially given the fact that Canada's over-all educational standards score very well against other nations. In fact it appears that teachers are a good example of what is right with Canada.

World education rankings: which country does best at reading, maths and science? | News | guardian.co.uk

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Actually bank profits are something we have a great deal of control over. A good portion of bank profits come from the myriad of credit cards that people carry a balance on anywhere from 18-28%. If you don't want to see the huge bank profits pay off your c.c.s every month. :smile:
Remember the good ol' days when you could save your money in a bank and they paid you and everyone used a completly fee free service called cash?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
First it's the teachers, now it's the airlines! Can't these people see the whole world is struggling as are many Canadians? Don't they care about the extra burden they are putting on their fellow citizens? One brain dead idiot was whining about falling below 2002 standards. What's carved in stone about 2002? Those days are over, we are fast approaching an era where we are all going to have to be more resourceful and not depending on "Government" to help us.

Are you going to go first and hand back all your government goodies?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Actually the rant I was referring to was Blackleaf's comment, not yours. My post had two quotes in it, one from you and one from him.

As for your comment regarding incomes, you and I will just have to disagree. I don't believe in a low wage economy just to keep prices down. We have lots of those around the word and they are rife with poverty, crime, and many other social ills. There are far too many Canadians who have to resort to food banks and other charities simply because they are paid such low salaries.

And you are as wrong about teachers as Blackleaf was. Teachers don't just work the school hours - almost all of them engage in considerable amounts of marking and preparation outside of school hours. In addition to that, many teachers engage in extracurricular activities such as coaching, the running of clubs, and drama. When I taught I knew very few teachers who did nothing after the official school day had ended. Typically I spent at least two hours in marking and preparation after school hours. And there is another point. Extending the school day would mean extending it for students as well. Do you really want school age children attending classes for more than six hours a day? And, I suppose you also think that teachers get holidays that are too long. It may make you happy to know that teachers get paid for a yearly contract of 200 days (at least in this province). In other words they are not paid during the summer holidays.

I am always amazed when people use teachers as an example of what is wrong with Canada, especially given the fact that Canada's over-all educational standards score very well against other nations. In fact it appears that teachers are a good example of what is right with Canada.

World education rankings: which country does best at reading, maths and science? | News | guardian.co.uk
Did you reach retirement age or just give up teaching? When did you give it up? I thought that less than 2 years ago you had yourself down here as a teacher. There is hardly a job out there right now that doesn't go home with the worker so teachers are no different. With today's technology, work is with them all the time. (Except for the Blackberry's that are not working right now ;-)). Very very few teachers volunteer for extracurricular activities. A little after school Volleyball and a little afterschool Basketball. I have 5 grandchildren in 3 different schools and that's all I know of that's going on. Schools do not supply rides so if the parents or grandparents don't show up to drive, the game gets cancelled and I've gotten calls to say - can you come and drive us because we can't play if you don't. No one is paying me.
You are right in that we do have amongst the best Educational System world wide. We can be proud of that as long as the teachers don't price us right out of general schooling and the government doesn't price the students right out of University.
I would never use teachers as an example of what is wrong in Canada because that would not even come to mind. The only real thing wrong with Canada is our weak judicial system. Not that it is the only thing but it would be a darn good place to start the cleanup.

Remember the good ol' days when you could save your money in a bank and they paid you and everyone used a completly fee free service called cash?
Iggy - you don't remember those days. I'm older than you and even at age 19, I had my own credit card for "Sweet 16". What I do remember though is that you could walk into a bank and get money from a teller without swiping your debit card. You could pay your bills at the teller without being charged (now you even pay for that on line in a manner of speaking since the number of debits are limited). I also remember (and I think this would be great now) when people took out a mortgage for 20 years and the interest rate didn't change for that whole 20 years. Can you begin to imagine the financial planning people could do knowing that their house payment did not have to be re-negotiated every 5 years? My God, people could even start to put money away for their kids to go to University (even in the non high paying jobs), they could plan to be mtg. free in 20 years or less with good planning. Maybe we could even wipe out credit cards - the major debt problem in all households and probably even the major cause of most divorces in the world when it comes right down to it.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Actually, when humans have a mate, they don't care much about materialism beyond hot-and-cold running water, heat in the winter, air-conditioning in the summer, a stove fridge and washing machine, plus three squares a day.

Oh... and rooms for the kids.

Imagine corporate MBA stockholder selfishnesses saying they are doing you a favor giving the jobs to China.

It's called being cheep, and everyone knows since my great great ancestors time that it will backfire and they are going to yank your great grandchildren out of the evolutionary chain.

You really should talk to the Queen, and what it takes to survive.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Actually, when humans have a mate, they don't care much about materialism beyond hot-and-cold running water, heat in the winter, air-conditioning in the summer, a stove fridge and washing machine, and three squares a day.

Oh... and rooms for their kids.
Satan in the corner of the living room say you also need pills, Subway sammages, imaginary eggs that graze freely, zit creme, phones that are smarter than you, cars that park themselves and a myriad of petrochemicals nitrates,sulfates and chlorides to keep you and everything else shiny.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Satan in the corner of the living room say you also need pills, Subway sammages, imaginary eggs that graze freely, zit creme, phones that are smarter than you, cars that park themselves and a myriad of petrochemicals nitrates,sulfates and chlorides to keep you and everything else shiny.
So you mean Satan has set up a townhouse in Switzerland?

Totally figures and typical.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Totally secret. What if a person were to know how to use the surplus industrial capacity enabled by their vast education also enabled by the way agricultural production got so efficient before Monsanto that they needed something to do, such that it were to be organized for construction on an interstellar transport ship.

Now here's the problem. It's 200 light years away - relatively close - It's bigger than earth, but has about the same gravity, therefore probably with a smaller core.

What if we can only get the speed of the thing up to 10% the speed of light, such that it will take 2000 years to get there.

Anybody got suggestions for a social order capable of being stable that long?

I'm thinking Latter Day Saints, or maybe something governed by the Queen.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I agree that some teachers are very good and deserve their pay. I am dead against teachers having the right to strike however, for two reasons...........it's an essential for number one and two walking a picket line is not setting a good example for their students.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Totally secret. What if a person were to know how to use the surplus industrial capacity enabled by their vast education also enabled by the way agricultural production got so efficient before Monsanto that they needed something to do, such that it were to be organized for construction on an interstellar transport ship.

Now here's the problem. It's 200 light years away - relatively close - It's bigger than earth, but has about the same gravity, therefore probably with a smaller core.

What if we can only get the speed of the thing up to 10% the speed of light, such that it will take 2000 years to get there.

Anybody got suggestions for a social order capable of being stable that long?

I'm thinking Latter Day Saints, or maybe something governed by the Queen.
L Ron is already on his way on a 707.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I agree that some teachers are very good and deserve their pay. I am dead against teachers having the right to strike however, for two reasons...........it's an essential for number one and two walking a picket line is not setting a good example for their students.

Hi kids. I'm not getting paid enough to deal with you brats. In order for me to discipline you they have to pay me more. Therefore all of you go out and play until they do.