Good thing there is no death penalty here.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Those who don't know or refuse to accept the difference between PARDON and PAROLE are, indeed, idiots.

You can repeat that all you like, nobody here has mistaken the two. You can't even quote an instance, you will just continue to insist it happened.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Ha! Mom was so Tory they named a bus after her - but in comparison to you, she's far out on the left wing.

And for that I love her probably more than you do.

Now, how about a visit to the dictionary? Online or otherwise? And take Tonigton, karrie and SLM with you. And then take a side trip to the book titled "Canadian Law for Idiots".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is why you get picked on some days. I don't know if you just don't pay attention or what but this was what SLM was making a point about to start with. That Hamolka could even apply for a pardon which prompted government to act to prevent the rubber stamp issuance of a pardon even though her crimes were so heinous.

So, she obviously feels the same way I do.

And for that I love her probably more than you do.

Now, how about a visit to the dictionary? Online or otherwise? And take Tonigton, karrie and SLM with you. And then take a side trip to the book titled "Canadian Law for Idiots".

Hey Y.J.- I've just gotten to thinking that you may have almost enough "credits" in the bank to be "eligible" for some "vacation" time soon. I'm betting you'll qualify within a week or two. :lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
So, she obviously feels the same way I do.

Hey Y.J.- I've just gotten to thinking that you may have almost enough "credits" in the bank to be "eligible" for some "vacation" time soon. I'm betting you'll qualify within a week or two. :lol:

Unless the entire world has gotten upside down and political correctness has taken over, I do not see a violation of the rules and regulations in any of my posts.

When being a thinking and provocative person gets that person a "vacation" we might as well die.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Unless the entire world has gotten upside down and political correctness has taken over, I do not see a violation of the rules and regulations in any of my posts.

When being a thinking and provocative person gets that person a "vacation" we might as well die.

Provocative- of course, insulting uh uh.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Post 135 Jack... I'm still waiting on an explanation of who can apply for parole 3 years after their release.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Post 135 Jack... I'm still waiting on an explanation of who can apply for parole 3 years after their release.

OK, karrie, let me try. Probably will be wasted effort, because one can lead a horse to the water but can't make the horse drink.

A PAROLE is something that is built in the sentence of an offender. Such as, for instance, a person convicted of first degree murder is sentenced to imprisonment for life, and not eligible for PAROLE until he/she served 25 years. Or someone convicted and sentenced for second degree and not eligible for PAROLE for 10 years. Having said that, a PAROLE is not automatic. What is meant by that, that if an offender is sentenced for life with no eligibility for PAROLE for 25 years will NOT be set free at 25 years, automatically. PAROLE needs to to EARNED, going from maximum to medium to minimum degree of incarceration. GET IT? PAROLE? NOT PARDON?????

A convicted felon does not have to apply for PAROLE. It is in his/her sentence. PAROLE does NOT wipe away the record of an offender. A PARDON would and does. Getting it yet???

OK let's go from there.

So, once again: A PARDON is granted by someone outside of the judicial System. You know, like a Prime Minister in Canada or a President or a Governor in the States. It has nothing to do with the offense, or the offender or the crime or the sentence, but everything to do with the mood of the grantor.

Are you getting there yet?

An offender/felon/criminal, once EARNED parole will go to a half-way house where he/she will have to EARN freedom. His/her record will always be there, unlike the record of someone who managed to get a PARDON. The person who got the PARDON has no criminal record. NONE, it never happened.

Get it yet? Probably not.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
OK, karrie, let me try.

You failed to answer how someone can get parole three years after their sentence is completed, which should have been a key point in SLM's post to clue you in the fact that she was not confusing parole with pardon.

So, once again: A PARDON is granted by someone outside of the judicial System. You know, like a Prime Minister in Canada or a President or a Governor in the States.
I already posted the law, which explicitly states that the National Parole Board has exclusive jurisdiction to grant, to refuse to grant, or to revoke pardons.

Read and learn so you won't repeat such falsehoods relating to the powers of the Prime Minister:
Criminal Records Act (this link will bring you right to the relevant section)

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
To answer karrie's paid parrot, known as Tonigton:

A felon/inmate/convict etc. does not have to apply for PAROLE, 1 year, 3 years or 100 years after they served their sentence. PAROLE is part of and built into their sentence. I am sure karrie understood that, since she has not responded and bashed me as she usually does. Learn from her example. Would do you good.

Your link provided absolutely nothing to disprove or negate what I said, Jesse Ventura.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think I have to stick up for Y.J. here (maybe temporarily) but I've searched the early posts where this Donnybrook got started and I quite honestly can't see where he mentioned anything about 3 years after release to apply for parole. Let me know if my Alzheimers is acting up again. :lol:

To answer karrie's paid parrot, known as Tonigton:

A felon/inmate/convict etc. does not have to apply for PAROLE, 1 year, 3 years or 100 years after they served their sentence. PAROLE is part of and built into their sentence. I am sure karrie understood that, since she has not responded and bashed me as she usually does. Learn from her example. Would do you good.

Your link provided absolutely nothing to disprove or negate what I said, Jesse Ventura.

Hey Y.J. - You should tell Karrie if she wants to know anything she should ask ME, forget Tonington. :lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A felon/inmate/convict etc. does not have to apply for PAROLE, 1 year, 3 years or 100 years after they served their sentence.

Yes, we're all aware of that. So when you read SLM's post, you shouldn't have come away with the impression that she didn't know the difference between pardon and parole.

Yes it did. If you actually read it, you would see that the Prime Minster has no say in the issuing of pardons. My link shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Following a set period of time incarcerated, one third the sentence, generally, one is eligible for parole. You still have to apply and be heard before the Board. That is while STILL incarcerated. YJ mentioned nothing about three years. Karrie attempted to clarify SLM's post. I see that's confusing for a few folk.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, we're all aware of that. So when you read SLM's post, you shouldn't have come away with the impression that she didn't know the difference between pardon and parole.

Yes it did. If you actually read it, you would see that the Prime Minster has no say in the issuing of pardons. My link shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

Misinformed is much politer not to mention more terse....................it's this kind of sh*t that gets these Donnybrooks started. :smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Following a set period of time incarcerated, one third the sentence, generally, one is eligible for parole. You still have to apply and be heard before the Board. That is while STILL incarcerated. YJ mentioned nothing about three years. Karrie attempted to clarify SLM's post. I see that's confusing for a few folk.

SLM herself clarified what she meant, not that she should have needed to. The meaning of her post was perfectly clear to most- only a select few had any problems comprehending her message, or our law.