Should smoking be banned on public beaches?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Then charge smokers an extra tax for clean-up.

I think there's already enough tax for that, Yukon Jack. One thing that does piss me off (I pass the local high school regularly on my walk) and for 200 yards each side the blvd and ajacent areas are literally covered with cigarette butts. I would think any self respecting school principal would have that cleaned up. (by the perpetrators) unless of course it goes against the Charter. :lol:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Personally, I believe ugly people should be banned from beaches. hehe

We have enough laws in this country already, banning smoking from an outdoor area is silly in my opinion.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think there's already enough tax for that, Yukon Jack. One thing that does piss me off (I pass the local high school regularly on my walk) and for 200 yards each side the blvd and ajacent areas are literally covered with cigarette butts. I would think any self respecting school principal would have that cleaned up. (by the perpetrators) unless of course it goes against the Charter. :lol:
I live across from a school. Every spring I clean up two bags full of junk food litter that blows in my yard. When I was a kid, we'd spend a morning wandering around the neighbourhood cleaning up. I'd love to see that return again but these days mixed in with the litter are hypodermics from their junkie parents.

Personally, I believe ugly people should be banned from beaches. hehe

We have enough laws in this country already, banning smoking from an outdoor area is silly in my opinion.
There are lots of easily influenced kids at beaches. I smoke but I won't smoke anywhere near a kid.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I live across from a school. Every spring I clean up two bags full of junk food litter that blows in my yard. When I was a kid, we'd spend a morning wandering around the neighbourhood cleaning up. I'd love to see that return again but these days mixed in with the litter are hypodermics from their junkie parents.

There are lots of easily influenced kids at beaches. I smoke but I won't smoke anywhere near a kid.

There are easily influenced kids everywhere, can't avoid them and frankly, they'll be more influenced by what their friends do.

I smoke as well, but I rarely go to beaches and if I do, I'm not lighting up butts near little kids. More so as a social courtesy, not that I care if they develop lung cancer on my account. ;)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I used to live across the street from a lumberyard. Every spring, I'd have to clean up the tarps that bunks of lumber came wrapped in. One Saturday morning, I dragge one across to the front door, the clerk came running out, demanding to know what I was doing. I calmly replied, 'I found this in my hedge, I assume you guys lost it, so I'm bringing it back'...they were much more careful after that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I used to live across the street from a lumberyard. Every spring, I'd have to clean up the tarps that bunks of lumber came wrapped in. One Saturday morning, I dragge one across to the front door, the clerk came running out, demanding to know what I was doing. I calmly replied, 'I found this in my hedge, I assume you guys lost it, so I'm bringing it back'...they were much more careful after that.
Those tarps aren't small either.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Sure it does, just not directly and in the moment.

How about a deposit on filters? Say ten cents each and watch the butt litter end promptly.

Considering the yearly tax hikes on cigarettes do little to deter smokers from smoking, I highly doubt an additional "fee" would change smokers behaviours.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Considering the yearly tax hikes on cigarettes do little to deter smokers from smoking, I highly doubt an additional "fee" would change smokers behaviours.

I think it does as there have been so many people quit in the last ten years simply by education and raising the taxes to a level that is difficult to maintain for most youth.

I doubt it would change most smokers behaviour as they will always litter once the justification sorts itself out in their heads. But it will get those bums who go after bottles and cans to pick up butts to making for a cleaner environment and wealthier bums. Win win man!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

If people are willing to pick a can up for five cents, I think they'd pick a butt up for ten. Interesting concept

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Any increase to the price of cigarettes will just result in more smuggling, theft etc. Prices have already reached the "super saturation" point.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The big-brother police state in full swing. We have taken an activity that is completely legal and have imposed so many rules it is way past funny.

First we removed smoking from most public places indoors.
Then we removed it from all public places indoors.
Then it was removed from outdoors near doors & windows.
Then it was removed from outdoors completely in some places (like the town I live in).
Then it was removed from your vehicle if you have children.
BC has discussions under way to remove it from your own home if you have children.

Where can you smoke nowadays? There seems to be no place left to engage in an entirely legal activity.

I can understand some of the regulations, I think back to the days when I remember ashtrays in doctor's offices and hospitals and realize maybe that wasn't a good thing but really how far do we go to placate the critics when there are still so many smokers.

Here is a personal example of going too far. My wife and I visit Tofino 2-3 times a year. We used to stay at the Best Western hotel. On one visit we were informed that there were no longer smoking rooms but designated areas and ashtrays on the balconies, fine. The next visit we were told that the designated areas had been moved to at least 100' from the building but there were still ashtrays provided on the balcony, fine again. On the first night we had a knock on the door of our room at 11pm where a staff member informed us that someone in a neighboring room had complained we were smoking on the balcony (on the top floor with the ashtray provided no less) and that we would have a $100 penalty added to our bill for disturbing another guest. Now we were following the rules and yet they saw fit to try to charge me $100 because someone thought their rules were inconsiderate. The net result was we left the very next morning and I didn't pay the fine or the room charge and we will not return to that hotel or any other from their chain.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If people are willing to pick a can up for five cents, I think they'd pick a butt up for ten. Interesting concept

Picking up butts doesn't appeal to me somehow, but I don't mind cans. Cans also can have a secondary use even if you don't cash them in. :smile:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Picking up butts doesn't appeal to me somehow, but I don't mind cans. Cans also can have a secondary use even if you don't cash them in. :smile:
Maybe if people didn`t pick up the cans then smokers would have someplace to stash their butts. Maybe.