Should smoking be banned on public beaches?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
They should give them a roped off area, and something to butt out in...maybe one of those garbage bins with sand on the top for an ashtray :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
They should give them a roped off area, and something to butt out in...maybe one of those garbage bins with sand on the top for an ashtray :lol:

Like those who blame Tim Hortons for litter, you have to separate the littering from the smoking, they're two separate issues.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm a non-smoker, but this is silly. I've been at lots of beaches, there's almost always a breeze, smoking is such a minor thing that it's absolutely silly to outlaw it.

You got that right, just some "muscle flexing" by some holier than thou who probably quit smoking last week. :lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I smoked for years and I can't believe I was that dumb, my wife smoked too and ended up
with COPD big time. Smoking is a serious problem and a cost to our medical insurance
program. Having said that, it is legal and will be for a long time. In fact if it were to be not
legal, more people would smoke. I love the bit society hands us about young people and
smoking, the numbers are way down. Sure they are down, its illegal until 19 in BC so the
teens tell the survey people no we don't smoke. They do its just that they are not going to
admit to doing something illegal.
In addition smoking is a part of the social ills and it won't stop because we make it expensive
or inconvenient, the more you restrict it the more people continue smoking. They have turned
on the bar crowd too. The driving tolerance level is reduced and the smoking is outlawed in
the pubs and bars. The latest trend creeping forward is the hide aways, they were called
speak easies during prohibition and they are starting here and there. Smoking on the beach
will be somewhat controlled but will never be stomped out. Here again the do gooders of
our society have decided what is best for you and of course they know everything so there
should be no problem. Ya right.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Sand for two, smoking section please. Refer to current local weather conditions for seating arrangements.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I smoked for over twenty years. At one time I was smoking over two packs a day. I can't imagine smoking over twenty dollars
worth of cigarettes every day. At around 11 dollars a pack that is at least $600.00 per month. Smoking is truly a stupid
habit.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well if they're that concerned with butts littering the beaches, then either make sure more cig-butting areas are more available (where you can dispose of them) or make sure there's more trash cans available. It's a little hard to carry around with you a pile of butts to the next trash can by the parking lot when you're in your swim trunks and most won't bother to cary them that far.

Since smoking is still a legal act, that legal act should be accommodated in order to make it easier for people to meet such demands like not littering on the beach..... if not, then don't complain when you see piles of them all over the place.

As for second hand smoke.... give me a break, it's the beach which is in open air which blows constantly from the sea, it's not a bar or restaurant or in a closed area that it can accumulate to any threat-level to others. You have more to worry about from the exhaust from cars passing by or parked in the parking lot.

As for not liking the smell, too bad.... I don't like the smell of most people, but you don't see me trying to pass laws to fine them for their stank because they didn't wipe their ass well enough, or didn't put body deodorant on, or put too much body spray, cologne or perfume on...... didn't brush their teeth, have coffee breath, fart, etc.

It's unpleasant, but much of life is unpleasant.... get over it.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The War Against Tobacco jumped the shark when they mandated stores hide their cigarettes packages behind opaque cabinets. Apparently no one is allowed to know that cigarettes are sold in stores anymore.

I totally understand banning them in bars and restaurants. It's a workplace safety issue. But the ban on advertising and the ban on seeing them in stores is just cartoonishly heavy-handed.

When I walk down a busy street in Vancouver, especially in the summer, it's the car exhaust that makes me feel ill. How is that not bad for you? And worse, it's bad for the environment as a whole. If people are allowed to drive their toxic fume machines down Beach Ave. or Pacific St. then I should be allowed to smoke while sunning along English Bay.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
To be honest, I can't say that this really bothers me. I am tired of seeing cigarette butts everywhere, particularly when there is an ashtray to place the butts in not two feet away! Myself, I go to the beach to swim, look for beach glass, or just relax.;)