Should smoking be banned on public beaches?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
If smokers would pick up after themselves instead of using the world as their ashtray they might find that their habit would be more acceptable. The number of times I have hiked through a supposedly pristine area only to find it littered with cigarette butts is too numerous to mention; and then there is the huge amount of similar litter tossed out of car windows or onto public sidewalks and streets.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Smoking is the latest whipping boy for attempting to control the people around you and ensure they are behaving according to your wishes. A bit of cig smoke in open air isn't going to kill you. It poses much less health risk than vehicle exhaust, factory emissions, air fresheners, bon fires.... the list goes on and on. Ban it where it makes sense to ban it, in closed environments, but where it has no real health impact, stop and think for two minutes about the fact that we are merely being controlling nit pickers.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
To be honest, I can't say that this really bothers me. I am tired of seeing cigarette butts everywhere, particularly when there is an ashtray to place the butts in not two feet away! Myself, I go to the beach to swim, look for beach glass, or just relax.;)

Smoking and littering are two different things.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Indeed... not everybody who smokes tosses their butts & packages all over the place, just as not everybody who drinks pop or eats chips tosses their cans or empty bags on the side of the road.

Just as not everybody who drinks a coffee at Tims chucks their paper cups onto the sidewalk.

Plenty do, but that doesn't mean you attack everybody associated with that product.... fine them for littering and leave it at that.

You get a $500 fine for tossing your butt anywhere else but a garbage bin or cig-butting station in Australia. Well.... I think it's $500, I can't exactly remember, but you do get fined.

Why does it have to be anything more then that?

Because some people don't like the habit?

There's plenty of habits I certainly don't like others doing, but you don't see me trying to make up stupid laws against them.

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA

No the two are intertwined as the smoker flicks his/her still burning cigarette butt onto the sand and sidewalk where folk are walking barefoot trying to enjoy a day in the sun at the beach and they do not pick it up when they stroll away.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No the two are intertwined as the smoker flicks his/her still burning cigarette butt onto the sand and sidewalk where folk are walking barefoot trying to enjoy a day in the sun at the beach and they do not pick it up when they stroll away.

I'd say most smokers don't flick their butts indiscriminately.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I didn't realize that it was a required part of smoking to flick butts onto the ground. Must be some new sort of cigarette development. How does that actually work? Is there some mechanism in the cigarette that causes it to flick itself onto the ground when it's burned down?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

That is an inaccurate generalized statement.

I always.... ALWAYS extinguish my butts after smoking. Every single one since I started smoking, I make sure they're no longer lit in anyway and no smoke is coming from them.

As a recent example, where I live now, I drop my cig by my foot, I stomp it and twist my foot to put it out, then I pick it up with my fingers and touch the burnt area to ensure no heat is present to make sure it is actually out, then I toss it in the bin.

When I was at the beach, I bend down and snuff out the butt in the sand, then check with my fingers to make sure it is out, then toss it in the nearest bin.

They way you explain it, you make it sound like ALL smokers are evil and have no issues with flicking their lit butt into the eye of some little kid as they pass by, or deliberately flick them into the path of people's bare feet to burn them out of some sadistic pleasure.

And due to how strict the laws are here in Australia with littering and how serious they take brush fires & how dangerous they are here, I keep doing the above and making sure my butts are out, as I don't want to be the person known to have burned all of Melbourne to the ground..... frig, I just got here, that wouldn't be a good first impression.

Smoking isn't intertwined with littering anymore then any other activity is with littering.

Back before I moved, I've seen way too many times on my way to the bus stop someone had taken an entire grocery bag of garbage from their car in the parking lot and just dumped it all onto the ground from their car door or window, when 5 feet away on the sidewalk was a garbage bin they could have tossed it into. Cans of pop, McDonald's bags & cups, snot rags, etc.... all tossed along the ground.

Should I say those products are all intertwined with littering?

Littering involves laziness on the individual with the product they have in their possession they no longer want.

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
A few years ago I played in our company's bowling league. at that time, smoking was allowed on the upper level, i.e. three steps above area wher we all sat waiting our turn to roll our ball.

One guy, I call him Joe, flagrantly disobeyed this rule. He lit up smoked away, disregarding all our objections.

One day I told him: Joe, please don't smoke here, or you will regret it. Just like water off the back of a duck, my words rolled off Joe's radar.

Well, next time I went bowling, I drank almost a quart of milk. Being lactose intolerant, I knew I would be able to fart and stink up the place almost at will. So, once again, I warned Joe not to light up in the restricted area. Needless to say, it was in vain.

So, I did the only thing I could do: I said, Joe put out your smoke, to no avail. So, I lifted up my right leg, and said, here Joe, and let a thunderous blast. With matching stench.

Joe never smoked on playing level again. And shortly after that the Ontario law was changed.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I know that, but the smokers are the ones littering. If they want to smoke, pick up after yourself. It's no different than throwing a candy bar wrapper on the ground. I don't want to go to the beach and walk over other people's cigarette butts.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know that, but the smokers are the ones littering. If they want to smoke, pick up after yourself. It's no different than throwing a candy bar wrapper on the ground. I don't want to go to the beach and walk over other people's cigarette butts.

....yes, Smoke Butts or Candy Wrappers. Ban them all!!! Anything that can be littered on a beach
should be banned. In for a penny, in for a pound. Go hard or go home, etc...& I'm not picking on
anyone here.

Seriously though. Either ban cigarettes outright, or accept some of the things that go along with
collecting the tax dollars. I'm all for banning smoking outright, & I smoke!!! I'm just tired of the
whining. My quiting wouldn't stop others from whining.

The only answer here is to ban smoking, & all tobacco products outright. Take the loss in taxes
and divide that up evenly upon all Canadians to top up the government coffers missing revenue.
Done deal....& hopefully no complaints.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
....yes, Smoke Butts or Candy Wrappers. Ban them all!!! Anything that can be littered on a beach
should be banned. In for a penny, in for a pound. Go hard or go home, etc...& I'm not picking on
anyone here.

Seriously though. Either ban cigarettes outright, or accept some of the things that go along with
collecting the tax dollars. I'm all for banning smoking outright, & I smoke!!! I'm just tired of the
whining. My quiting wouldn't stop others from whining.

The only answer here is to ban smoking, & all tobacco products outright. Take the loss in taxes
and divide that up evenly upon all Canadians to top up the government coffers missing revenue.
Done deal....& hopefully no complaints.

Exactly.... but the Government won't because they're so hooked on the taxes they get from smokers and they know what kind of backlash they'll have coming to them once they re-distribute the taxes onto other things many people take for granted.

Whatever government does it will most likely lose the next election they face..... so none of them will do it.

The government is more addicted to the tax money then the smokers are addicted to tobacco.

Then you have to worry about job loses from not just the tobacco factories/companies, but the many smoke shops across the nation, the people who transport the products to stores, the companies that design the packages, not to mention all those people employed to make those anti-smoking commercials & campaigns..... and what about the companies who make and sell products to help quitting & those who make their commercials, advertisements, packaging, distribution, etc.?

You don't see companies and products out there for quitting Cocaine, Heroin & Crack, so why would there be a continued support for quitting smoking tobacco if it's illegal?

The bottom line is that nobody wants to touch this bomb & ban tobacco straight out...... doing so will create far more problems then it would solve.

Just think of what would happen if you banned alcohol....... oh wait...... that already was attempted.

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Me too. It has no place in our world other than spiritual for real North Americans.

Ban it all!! Ban it for everyone! Equality & such, and damn the torpedoes!!! Equality in taxation
for all the non-smokers.....the current ones & the furture ones too. If they (or is it "we"?) are going
to ban tobacco & tobacco products...do it right across the board, for everyone, or not at all.

This has nothing to do with racism, but everything to do with just being so tired of the B.S. involved
in making smokers second class citizens while taxing the living shyte out'a them, and snivelling in a
"holier than thou" sort'a way while doing so. It has to end eventually, so now would be a great time.

The, "you can smoke, & pay outrageous taxes for the privilege, but only in a ceiled box, not indoors
or out, and atleast 50 feet from any structure, or...or...or..or..." is so beyond ridiculous at this point.
Just ban it outright everywhere for anyone at any time, or just stop the hypocrisy on the subject.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ron for P.M.

Hell, I've already admitted I couldn't be a school teacher without someone getting hurt,
& you want me to be the PM? Thanks but no. Martial Law, curfews for the youth, and
public spankings would be the order of the day if I was the PM...& I don't think that
would fly. Well, maybe the public spankings thing, but....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You mean turn back the clock to when we were kids and took a few Hot Wheels tracks across the ass for screwing up bigtime and the cops pulled us over once or twice a week to make sure we were being good boys and girls?

Did me good. I'm all for it.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
That is an inaccurate generalized statement.

Sadly it is not. A visit to any park or beach will show that it is accurate.

I always.... ALWAYS extinguish my butts after smoking. Every single one since I started smoking, I make sure they're no longer lit in anyway and no smoke is coming from them.

As a recent example, where I live now, I drop my cig by my foot, I stomp it and twist my foot to put it out, then I pick it up with my fingers and touch the burnt area to ensure no heat is present to make sure it is actually out, then I toss it in the bin.

When I was at the beach, I bend down and snuff out the butt in the sand, then check with my fingers to make sure it is out, then toss it in the nearest bin.

While I commend you on you're outstanding efforts, you are the exception in my experience. Most people just toss em. Usually put them out but not when in the car. Out the window they go and not another thought of them.

They way you explain it, you make it sound like ALL smokers are evil and have no issues with flicking their lit butt into the eye of some little kid as they pass by, or deliberately flick them into the path of people's bare feet to burn them out of some sadistic pleasure.

While I doubt the malevolence, it's common practice here in Toronto. Though I have to say to those frolicking and running about freely barefoot in the grass, quit playing around in my dog's toilet.

And due to how strict the laws are here in Australia with littering and how serious they take brush fires & how dangerous they are here, I keep doing the above and making sure my butts are out, as I don't want to be the person known to have burned all of Melbourne to the ground..... frig, I just got here, that wouldn't be a good first impression.

Good on you Mick Dundee, but few here are as excited as you about keeping your habit from spoiling everyone's environment. Sure you can get some heat by flicking your butt at the park ranger in the dry season, but in places like Toronto most of the trees have been cut down and frankly there are just a lot of people who would be glad to watch old El Toro burn down. Though we are blessed with an experienced and dedicated fire department that will charge a 6 alarm fire to save on long distance rates the mad bastards.

Smoking isn't intertwined with littering anymore then any other activity is with littering.

It totally is.

Back before I moved, I've seen way too many times on my way to the bus stop someone had taken an entire grocery bag of garbage from their car in the parking lot and just dumped it all onto the ground from their car door or window, when 5 feet away on the sidewalk was a garbage bin they could have tossed it into. Cans of pop, McDonald's bags & cups, snot rags, etc.... all tossed along the ground.

Now they charge 5 cents for a plastic bag here so most people just put litter in the fancy bins they installed everywhere. It's almost fun!

Should I say those products are all intertwined with littering?

Well yeah, except the cans of pop. They never last long on the ground as there is an army of poor but able old folks who totally work at recycling. They get a nickle per can or something and they walk around with buggy loads of them taking them into the beer stores to get the money. All tax free income! Ha, what is it they say about old age and treachery?

Littering involves laziness on the individual with the product they have in their possession they no longer want.

Smokers is some lazy mofos dawg.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Sadly it is not. A visit to any park or beach will show that it is accurate.

No it doesn't and It is, because it's a broad generalization and it was an exaggeration claiming that all smokers seem to toss lit butts at people's bare feet.

Not every smoker does what you claim and if you think it's that big of a problem, the easiest solution is to provide more places where one can toss them.... and more people would actually put them where they belong..... and fine those who don't. Banning smoking in a specific outdoor area isn't a solution and it's just stupid.

While I commend you on you're outstanding efforts, you are the exception in my experience. Most people just toss em. Usually put them out but not when in the car. Out the window they go and not another thought of them.

Then fine them..... due to the high risk of brush fires here in Australia, one gets a huge fine for flicking one out their window and based on the way many talk around here, it's a good way to get your ass kicked. Hold similar fines in Canada and you'd see a huge improvement on the problem.

But again, not everybody does what you claim. Not everybody tosses their empty or half-empty coffee cups out their car window.... not everybody just leaves their coffee cups on the shelves in grocery stores..... people doing that pissed me off a lot when I worked in retail, because there's not too many smells I find more disgusting then the smell of cold coffee from a Tim's cup..... so how about we ban drinking coffee everywhere too because of some bad apples?

While I doubt the malevolence, it's common practice here in Toronto. Though I have to say to those frolicking and running about freely barefoot in the grass, quit playing around in my dog's toilet.

Don't forget about broken glass & rusty nails.

Good on you Mick Dundee,

"Mick?" ~ Was that a racist term shot my way because I'm Irish?

but few here are as excited as you about keeping your habit from spoiling everyone's environment. Sure you can get some heat by flicking your butt at the park ranger in the dry season, but in places like Toronto most of the trees have been cut down and frankly there are just a lot of people who would be glad to watch old El Toro burn down. Though we are blessed with an experienced and dedicated fire department that will charge a 6 alarm fire to save on long distance rates the mad bastards.

It doesn't matter about your generalizations and what you think other's think.... anything ignited is a potential fire hazard.... and what I am suggesting or talking about isn't exclusive to Toronto but the nation as a whole..... sorry to say, but the country isn't just made up of Toronto and other places in the country do have trees & brush.

Besides, the topic was started based on Beaches, not a concrete tomb for the business yuppies.

It totally is.

No, it isn't. People toss half eaten food, bags of garbage, empty coffee cups, beer bottles, chip bags, fast food packaging, un-wanted babies, old electronics, recycling products, batteries, EVERYTHING CAN AND IS LITTERED.

Littering is not exclusive to one type of product, it's exclusive to one type of lazy idiot..... if a type of littering goes un-checked and nobody is fined or stopped by police or other officials, then it'll just continue to happen.

It's as simple as that and no more complicated then that.

If you don't like people tossing butts everywhere, then fine them like you would any other person littering. You will then start to see fewer and fewer people doing it.

It's rocket science, not brain surgery.

Now they charge 5 cents for a plastic bag here so most people just put litter in the fancy bins they installed everywhere. It's almost fun!

Just before Christmas Holiday not too long ago, SuperStore tried to pull that idea here in Nova Scotia and because Sobeys didn't charge for their bags, SuperStore suddenly found themselves losing a lot of customers and money, and then during the Holidays, they made them free.... then after the holidays, they never brought it back.

Funny how a loss of profit can make a company change their views on environmentalism.

Well yeah, except the cans of pop. They never last long on the ground as there is an army of poor but able old folks who totally work at recycling. They get a nickle per can or something and they walk around with buggy loads of them taking them into the beer stores to get the money. All tax free income! Ha, what is it they say about old age and treachery?

It doesn't matter who comes afterwards to pick it all up, it's still littering and it's still connected to cans of pop like anything else.

I could use the same argument that someone like Ricky from The Trailer Park Boys comes along and picks up all the butts to smoke because they can't afford their own.

Smokers is some lazy mofos dawg.

As are a larger number of other people..... where's the fight against them?