Yorkshire Pudding

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
BTW #Juan, I tried your Yorkshire Pudding recipe a few weeks ago and it was about the best I've ever had, they were huge and fluffy.

My wife and I just stared at them through the oven window in disbelief.

Thanks, I use to use the recipe in the "Joy Of Cooking" but not any more, you are are indeed #Juan.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
BTW #Juan, I tried your Yorkshire Pudding recipe a few weeks ago and it was about the best I've ever had, they were huge and fluffy.

My wife and I just stared at them through the oven window in disbelief.

Thanks, I use to use the recipe in the "Joy Of Cooking" but not any more, you are are indeed #Juan.

Good to hear Avro. I've made my share of flat little hockey pucks over the years and when they turned out well I was never sure why they turned out well. That recipe seems to work consistantly.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
A little old 90 pound woman just ate 3 of Juans Yorkshires with a huge smile on her face.

Thanks Juan, it passed the test.:cool:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's great to have a recipe work for somebody else as well as it worked for me. Nice going Avro.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
At our house we've been using muffin tins that are almost as old as I am. Last week at Canadian Tire I picked up a couple LAGOSTINA non-stick muffin pans and these are excellent. They are a little more money....about twenty dollars each but well worth it. Yorkshire Puddings rise out of these pans like something out of Star Trek.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For the first time last night I tried French's Yorkshire Pudding mix. Somebody gave it to me about a year ago. It was just Jan and I last night and the mix only makes six yorkshires. I'm such a bloody purist that I was ready for these things to taste bad or not rise or something but they turned out great, tasted great and looked great. I have to recommend the mix to anyone who wants a quick batch of Yorkshire Pudding.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Lots of good ideas and recipes, I'm drooling! Yorkshire pud's, roast beef & gravy! Oh bliss!!

Being of Brit origin & in my teens when upped & moved to Canada, I grew up with the Brit cooking mystique. Yorkshires, like so many traditional dishes such as Brit sponge cakes, were highly competitive, very temperamental & recipes guarded with awesome ferocity - never written down of course and no visitors in or near the kitchen whilst such delicacies were being prepared.

My mother made sponge cakes that literally floated off the Royal Doulton with hand painted periwinkles cake stand, her yorkshires needed to be instantly held down with a dollop of mashed spuds otherwise they'd float off your plate too. She achieved such things whether she was cooking in Wales using the 300 hundred year old small twin ovens that were built into each side of the large fireplace in the kitchen - no temperature controls of course, the fire heated the ovens & was tamped down or pokered into more heat depending on how the ladylike discrete spit danced on the top of the oven. In England she had a pre WWII gas stove, I don't think it had any temperature controls either, I still have the recipe book that came with it - don't know why, but I do. My word, the recipes in that are hair raising: "Take two lbs of fresh butter; separate a dozen eggs; add two pints of heavy cream....." Anyway agony set in in the kitchen on arrival in Canada. Nothing turned out right, she burnt pots, aprons, tea towels, tea pots & nearly the house down twice - "It was the electric! Why do they use such a thing for cooking?"

An early sponge cake effort was a rock solid flat circle, so hard & grue looking that an evil young teenager fished it out of the "dustbin", made a hole in it &, using some decorative ribbon, hung it at the very top of the ten foot high living room wall in our older style TO house - my mother is very short & terrified of heights. Heh!

Yorkshires: she gave up on those, I'd never taken any interest in cooking, so I had to learn from scratch when I started. I made futile efforts at yorkshires over the years, producing excellent dog biscuits. I've always been one of those cooks that, 'cos I hated washing dishes, wouldn't measure anything if I could possibly avoid it - no measuring cups & spoons, see? "Surprise Cooking" is what we called it. We moved many, many times so constant kitchen & stove styles & types changes. Anyway, I realized eventually that many things such as yorkshires are temperamental and flighty and need to be adjusted & tweaked until they feel at home in whatever kitchen & oven they're in. (Height above sea level in Jasper made major tweaking necessary when baking anything for instance.)

Cutting to the chase: I discovered that yorkshires co-operated beautifully for me (very much a YMMV, in my experience thingy) if, once having established what spot in the oven & temp & which bowl & kitchen temp made them comfy, before chucking my usual ingredients into the bowl, I warmed the milk in the microwave to just above warm - warm enough to warm up to room temp or slightly higher the eggs just removed from the fridge. Whisking the lot the least amount possible & pouring into the smoking hot roast drippings that had been heating up in my wonderful find of a genuine four round yorky Brit yorkshire heavy duty pan, (I had an eight yorky version for when we had guests, which was equally successful but didn't produce such awe inspiring sized yorkies of course). Having finally also mastered yummy gravy, a roast with yorkshire puds & all the trimmings, including roast parsnips in season, at our place became quite popular. :::says I immodestly::: So much so, I have two cranky sisters-in-law who refused to visit again after their children asked them why they didn't make "these round yummy puffy things and gravy without lumps like Auntie -----?". Oh dear! ;-)

Just a tale of Yorkshires & sponge cakes - Brit style.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Oh oh I haven't had Yorkshire Pudding in a long time

My mother taught my husband to make it - he was an incurable chef and loved trying new things - he'd never made one - she used a large bowl and when the pudding was cooked she used a baster to lift out the
oil trapped in the middle to keep it from seeping into the remaining pastry.....

Oh well I just love salad on a Sunday night haha...... but I can look at the pictures!

Thanks for the memories Juan!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh oh I haven't had Yorkshire Pudding in a long time

My mother taught my husband to make it - he was an incurable chef and loved trying new things - he'd never made one - she used a large bowl and when the pudding was cooked she used a baster to lift out the
oil trapped in the middle to keep it from seeping into the remaining pastry.....

Oh well I just love salad on a Sunday night haha...... but I can look at the pictures!

Thanks for the memories Juan!
Curio $ Bcool

A couple posts up this page I blithered on about a store bought Yorkshire Pudding mix. The brand is French.....Might be the
same company that makes the hot dog mustard. In any case their Yorkshire Pudding Mix is a very easy short cut and it works great
You just have to ignore a couple mystery items listed under ingredients...Lol

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Curio $ Bcool

A couple posts up this page I blithered on about a store bought Yorkshire Pudding mix. The brand is French.....Might be the
same company that makes the hot dog mustard. In any case their Yorkshire Pudding Mix is a very easy short cut and it works great
You just have to ignore a couple mystery items listed under ingredients...Lol

::chuckle:: I read it. L'horreur! :-D I mean, wouldn't that be like the Marmite Company in the UK producing a packaged croissant mix? Blimey!! :-o

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
::chuckle:: I read it. L'horreur! :-D I mean, wouldn't that be like the Marmite Company in the UK producing a packaged croissant mix? Blimey!! :-o

Croissant mix? Now there is where a convenience product would be welcome. Anyone who has made croissants would welcome an instant croissant mix that worked...Lol

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks Juan!

I'll have to hunt down that brand and try some individuals - would never dare want to ruin a whole big dish of Yorkshire.....but smaller individuals I could stand to lose a few if I messed up.... I'd forgotten all
about that delightful treat... yum!

smithcr01

Nov 9, 2010
Hi, Crystal in AZ (born and raised in good ol' Canada) dying to find a good recipe for Yorkshires that works... Where can I find this wonderful recipe by Juan? Is it in a book I need to buy? I have found a few sites to buy the mix I used to use up there, but for 12 packages, with shipping I'm looking at $50 :( Any help in tracking down this heavenly recipe that apparently works consistantly would be appreciated :)
Thanks in advance :)

Hi, Crystal in AZ (born and raised in good ol' Canada) dying to find a good recipe for Yorkshires that works... Where can I find this wonderful recipe by Juan? Is it in a book I need to buy? I have found a few sites to buy the mix I used to use up there, but for 12 packages, with shipping I'm looking at $50 :( Any help in tracking down this heavenly recipe that apparently works consistantly would be appreciated :)
Thanks in advance :)
Never mind... I searched the forum and found the beginning of this thread and VOILA... recipe! :) I am very anxious to try it :) Thanks for the post

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

This is what traditional Yorkshire Pudding looked like. It was often swimming in fat.

Here are a few of the store bought mixes:

Yorkshire pudding mix - Shop sales, stores & prices at TheFind.com

Last edited: