Would you fly in a 737 Max 8 right now?

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
So Marc Garneau says he woudn't hesitate to get into one of these new Boeing 737s. Neither would I so long as it stayed on the ground. Duh, this is a guy who wouldn't hesitate to climb into a rocketship and be blasted into orbit. Doesn't say much for his respect of the caution principle - or the people who might rely on his judgement.

What do you think of an aircraft manufacturer that would build in an autonomous anti-stall system that can take over control of the aircraft, but fail to make sure the pilots even knew it existed?

And by the way, does this sort of high handed manufacturing bravado enhance your faith in self-driving cars?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
They need to get the software issue fixed, or ramp up the training on what to do when it decides the only option is to lower the pitch.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of self driving cars, I saw a video somewhere showing a driver asleep while his car drove down a highway. Kind of nuts.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Safest way to travel.
Walter, if what you mean to say is that air travel is safer than any other kind of travel I'd have to observe that it might depend on how one parses the statistics and what one's hoping to 'prove.'

But no matter: My main question was whether you yourself would fly in a Boeing 737 Max 8 'right now' - i.e. until the cause of this most recent crash is explained (and any problem corrected of course.) Also what do you think of Boeing's initial failure to make sure pilots were aware of the existence of software that might take control away from them, and of how to recognise & quickly disarm it if necessary. The company reportedly kept this information to itself until after a catastrophic crash in which the software may have been a major factor.

I'm assuming that like M. Garneau you'd have no hesitation in boarding a Max 8 (although he's beginning to soften his tone bout that.)

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
this is a guy who wouldn't hesitate to climb into a rocketship and be blasted into orbit. Doesn't say much for his respect of the caution principle - o

It speaks to his qualification to run this ministry.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Speaking of self driving cars, I saw a video somewhere showing a driver asleep while his car drove down a highway. Kind of nuts.

There's probably no limit to the number of things people will try to do while their cars self-drive down the highway. It will be a whole new platform for exhibitionists.

What activities will be illegal, and how policed? Get ready for mandatory in-vehicle surveillance cameras. And hacking - you might show up on youtube. That's YOU tube :).

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
If I'm not driving why do I need to be insured.

In fact even if I don't have a license why can't a ride in a self driving car.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
If I'm not driving why do I need to be insured.
In fact even if I don't have a license why can't a ride in a self driving car.

I can't answer but when the time comes I'm sure you'll be told. Do you know what the law says now, about these questions?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I wouldn't mind trying a Bombardier. Has anyone flown on one?
... from Houston to Toronto. It was smallish but quite comfortable.

I've also flown Dash 7s, 8s and their successors many times.

Noisy turboprops but there isn't any other type.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I meant the C series, the one that Airbus buys and calls it an A220.

Still, I like the Dash 8. It is loud, though.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I can't answer but when the time comes I'm sure you'll be told. Do you know what the law says now, about these questions?
I think its up in the air. The technology isn't there yet anyway, but at some point in time the overall accident rate will go way down and that alone would result in reduced rates.