Would you fly in a 737 Max 8 right now?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
S43E6Falling from the Sky
01:20:25 | 11.28.20 | NR | CC
On the heels of Boeing 737 MAX's recent clearance to fly again, "20/20" reports on the aircraft's controversial flight control software and how it mistakenly sent planes into deadly nosedives.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No but I wouldn't fly in any god damned plane now. Faulty planes are just the tip of the iceberg! Finding competence in any field of endeavour can be tricky. That isn't to say there aren't SOME well qualified professionals.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Yes I would fly the Max, probably the safest plane in the sky right now,,,,even tho today AC had an engine problem and had to divert to Tucson .

Jinentonix

Executive Branch Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
There's too much automation these days. Pilot skills are decreasing. I think regs should insist that pilots fly so many hands-on hours per hours flying. There have been airlines where their pilots only had 50 hours of hands on flying, including training, and all of it was in a simulator.

On top of that, flight systems, flight computers and controls should be standardized throughout the industry. Pilots tend to fly more than one variant or make of aircraft at work. This HAS caused confusion that led to disaster more than once. F*ck the proprietary bullshit.
Even variants of the same a/c have some noticeable and potentially confusing setups. For example, the engine that provides electrical power to a standard 737 is on one side of the a/c but on the 737-400 variant, it's on the opposite side. Sadly, this too has caused disasters in real life.

Never mind a 737 MAX. I wouldn't get on a commercial airliner for $1 million these days. If I wanna fly somewhere I'll fly there myself.