Woman dead after (ANOTHER) seemingly unprovoked assault in downtown Toronto, police say

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

An elderly woman is dead and a man is in custody after what appears to have been an unprovoked daytime assault in Toronto's downtown core on Friday, police say.

Police say a woman in her 70s or 80s was walking in the city's financial district around 11:40 a.m. near the normally busy intersection of Yonge and King streets, when she was allegedly pushed to the ground, injuring her head and face.

Emergency responders quickly arrived and tried to save her, but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene, police say.

A pool of blood could be seen in front of a restaurant in the area Friday afternoon.

"The information from witnesses and video cameras is she was just simply walking along the sidewalk," Toronto police Insp. Craig Young told reporters.

WHAT THE HELL!!!! You know - i can barely think of reading about one or two cases of random non-sex related attacks in canada in my entire life - now it seems like it's every week and often with fatalities.

Seriously people - PLEASE take extra care out there. The last few stories have been from toronto but there's plenty from other major metros and i dont know what it is but SOMETHING is making this kind of thing a lot more common right now. It seems like the random violence is getting worse

Reactions: Dixie Cup

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It's been around awhile but consumption has gone off the charts. Is there another drug that will keep someone high for 3 days for $10?
I'm not all that familiar with the drug but if that's the case i can certainly see why it'd be popular among druggies in this inflationary world. But damn - it's freaking getting crazy. Random violent attacks are absolutely skyrocketing and we're starting to see a fair number of fatalities and that's in many provinces.

I wonder what's going to happen in BC where most of those hard drugs will be legal at the end of the month.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I'm not all that familiar with the drug but if that's the case i can certainly see why it'd be popular among druggies in this inflationary world. But damn - it's freaking getting crazy. Random violent attacks are absolutely skyrocketing and we're starting to see a fair number of fatalities and that's in many provinces.

I wonder what's going to happen in BC where most of those hard drugs will be legal at the end of the month.
Not exactly legal. Just no more wasting time and money putting junkies in jail for no good reason.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Not exactly legal. Just no more wasting time and money putting junkies in jail for no good reason.
Not exactly but practically. It will end going after all but the highest level of smuggling which means availability will likely go up. I mean seriously, the cops weren't throwing lots of people in jail for simple possession as it is. If they're going to waste their time there had to be more to it as a rule. They barely waste their time on far more serious crimes with today's catch and release system.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Man, 37, charged in deadly shoving of woman, 89, on downtown sidewalk
Charge could be upgraded, pending investigation

Author of the article:postmedia News
Published Jan 22, 2023 • 1 minute read

A 37-year-old man has now officially been charged in the apparently unprovoked deadly assault of an elderly woman on a downtown sidewalk on Friday.

Toronto Police claim the accused also tossed a brick through the window of a business near Church and Front Sts. prior to allegedly shoving the 89-year-old victim at Yonge and King Sts.

The senior citizen, who was pronounced dead at the scene, has not been identified.

Ryan Cunneen, of Toronto, is charged with mischief under $5000 and aggravated assault, but the latter charge could be upgraded once an autopsy determines the cause of death, police have said.

The accused attended court at Old City Hall on Saturday.

The Homicide and Missing Persons Unit has been advised and is actively engaged with 51 Division on this ongoing investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5100 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Weirdly I was thinking of the New York subway vigilante guy from 1984 when I was reading this this morning. Somethings Gotta give….& I have no idea how this will play out being Canada where only the criminals are allowed to have guns in downtown Toronto.
Bernard Goetz

Reactions: petros

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
8 months. That’s enough to talk most people with a job & a mortgage & car payment, etc…though.

I think it was eight months, but morning was 12 hours ago. That was because the gun wasn’t registered or something.
Sullivan Act. At the time you couldn't have a pistol in New York City.

He was acquitted by reason of self defense, then jailed for possessing the gun he used to defend himself.