Wheat board monopoly to end

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Over the last eight years:

the average “applicable” rail freight rate for spring wheat has gone up about 21%
FUEL
CWB costs on wheat have gone up about 56% (including “transportation savings”)
FUEL
Grain company handling charges (elevation and cleaning, including trucking premiums paid to farmers) have risen about 9% FUEL

Why can't canola be shipped long distances by ship in mass quatity and is processed (value added) on the prairie?

I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to Gehl explain to Cargill,
Bunge, Viterra, Richardson and Louis Dreyfus that they’ve got it all wrong and
shouldn’t have built their crush plants on the prairies.
Because if they built them further away they'd have crushed seed and oil in the rail cars? Proof the writer of the CWB Monitor isn't a producer.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well then, go on and provide the solution to all of Viterra's problems with a ten minute meeting.... What are you waiting for?
Viterra knows that you can't transport canola but wheat you can. Did you? Do you know Pat?

Piss poor reseach for the CWB Monitor writer to not know that but be so highly opinionated. It's like comparing transporting apples and transporting grapes. Which can be shipped the furthest without damage and minimal handling?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Because if they built them further away they'd have crushed seed and oil in the rail cars? Proof the writer of the CWB Monitor isn't a producer.

1, You missed the out of sync increase in what the CWB charges v what they have to pay out.
2, You're blaming the Monitor, for what Ghel and CWB's supporters have said.

Piss poor reseach for the CWB Monitor writer to not know that but be so highly opinionated. It's like comparing transporting apples and transporting grapes.
Ya, he does know that. It was the CWB and it's supporters he was quoting that seemed to think differently.

It's funny that you didn't grasp that. Piss poor reading skills or research skills?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
1, You missed the out of sync increase in what the CWB charges v what they have to pay out.

Ya, he does know that. It was the CWB and it's supporters he was quoting that seemed to think differently.

It's funny that you didn't grasp that. Piss poor reading skills or research skills?
You missed it not me.

Read again?

Gehl goes so far as to say transportation costs limit canola processing on the
prairies: “Whether it is wheat flour, pasta, oil sands bitumen or canola,
transportation costs have always limited what can be done with value adding on
the prairies."Perhaps he’s had his head
elsewhere for so long that he hasn't noticed that there are now ten canola
crushing plants on the prairies, processing close to half the crop - and many
are expanding as we speak.Domestic
crush is clearly a dominant canola market influence.I
would love to be a fly on the wall listening to Gehl explain to Cargill, Bunge,
Viterra, Richardson and Louis Dreyfus that they’ve got it all wrong and
shouldn’t have built their crush plants on the prairies.
Why is shipping so high for canola? CWB or that it goes by truck and not by rail? Why can't it go by rail and by ship, raw to market?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

The reality is that this has nothing to do with the issue... The transportability, cost/availability of transport and basic operating costs will be the same (or damn close) regardless if the CWB exists as a monopoly or not.

... All these other arguments are so far off base in terms of the core issue (ie this thread) that is laughable.

Nothing will ever make them happy... They desire the soothing hand of Big Brother to tell 'em what to do and that they are so lucky to have such an insightful and omnipotent overseer.

Doing a little research would lead Petros to realize that my name isn't Pat.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You just bring the cash and a container, I'll sell you the oil... You worry about your taxes and I'll worry about mine.

So... you game or what? Obviously you think that it's impossible to do, so how about it?