What's Trump Done Now?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well, looks like the Great Pumpkin has scored again! Five new GM auto factories opening in the Midwest! MAGA!
The one up here was producing cheapo sedans for a 1970s marketing plan. As I spend a lot of my life sitting in traffic jams on 8+ lane highways, I have lots of opportunity to check out the cars around me. Not many GM products, anymore. Thirty-forty years ago, most of them were and now it's more like about one in twenty. GM was going to die a natural death a decade ago and it was put on artificial life support by governments on both sides of our border.

This is a prime example of how bail-outs (and tariffs) fossilize inefficiency and stupid. That is why dusting off and re-commissioning obsolete aluminium and steel Mills will never make America great, again ... just backwards , overpriced and inefficient.

The number has been up on that Oshawa plant for some years. The days of the Chevy sedan are done. If you want a reliable, inexpensive sedan, buy a Honda, Hyundai or Toyota. They work when you turn the key.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The one up here was producing cheapo sedans for a 1970s marketing plan. As I spend a lot of my life sitting in traffic jams on 8+ lane highways, I have lots of opportunity to check out the cars around me. Not many GM products, anymore. Thirty-forty years ago, most of them were and now it's more like about one in twenty. GM was going to die a natural death a decade ago and it was put on artificial life support by governments on both sides of our border.
This is a prime example of how bail-outs (and tariffs) fossilize inefficiency and stupid. That is why dusting off and re-commissioning obsolete aluminium and steel Mills will never make America great, again ... just backwards , overpriced and inefficient.
The number has been up on that Oshawa plant for some years. The days of the Chevy sedan are done. If you want a reliable, inexpensive sedan, buy a Honda, Hyundai or Toyota. They work when you turn the key.
What's good for Canada is good for. . . something, I guess.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's a loss but not a very big one ... yet. GM is already a shadow of it's former self, up here.
Back during the bailouts, I suggested that Ford, GM, and Fiat-Chrysler should quit making small cars entirely, and just make pickup trucks and SAVs (suburban assault vehicles). Those are their strengths, and the profit per unit is much higher. And they simply cannot compete with the Japanese and Koreans in small cars. Never could. The Pinto, the Vega, the K-cars. American auto makers never made a good small car.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Back during the bailouts, I suggested that Ford, GM, and Fiat-Chrysler should quit making small cars entirely, and just make pickup trucks and SAVs (suburban assault vehicles). Those are their strengths, and the profit per unit is much higher. And they simply cannot compete with the Japanese and Koreans in small cars. Never could. The Pinto, the Vega, the K-cars. American auto makers never made a good small car.
Ford has just wait making small cars in North America. There is a Ford assembly plant just a few kms from here and they make high-end SUVs. Sedans are all gone ... Fusions, Focus, Fiesta, Victoria etc. are history.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I'd argue with that. Buick Skylark and Pontiac Vibe I've found to be excellent small cars. Ford Mustang too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ford has just wait making small cars in North America. There is a Ford assembly plant just a few kms from here and they make high-end SUVs. Sedans are all gone ... Fusions, Focus, Fiesta, Victoria etc. are history.

You quit speaking English today?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Trump threatens to cut the e car subsidy for GM products.

That's the subsidy of up to $7,500 for any e car not just Tesla.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe we're just laughing at all the morons in this forum who are obsessed with him,

And most of them are not even U. S. citizens

Wow, true genius. You finally figured out that on a forum called Canadian Content that most of its members might be Canadian. No wonder you chose "DaSleeper" as your username.