What if the Provincial Liberals initiate a referendum?

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
I'm an Albertan first. My allegience is to Alberta and being vigilant about Ottawa getting its grubby hands out of our business.

Allegience has to be earned and not be a given.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
The vast majority of Quebecers consider themselves Quebecois first...even those who are federalists. Why is it 'bad' just because someone is an immigrant?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
RE: What if the Provincia

I am Québécois first and for most, so is almost everyone I know, federalist or not. Us getting out, is only good for everyone. If things go bad for us, we will handle it. Its not of your concern. We would still have an excellent relationship, and I still hope we can work together for a better world. We arnt that different, we agree on alot of internationnal issues, we just want are own opinion, and no be obliged by that of everyone else.

Booh

Jun 20, 2005
Boucherville
Re: RE: What if the Provincial Liberals initiate a referendu

Numure said:
If things go bad for us, we will handle it.

We always have. I don't see why it would be any different now.

iamcanadian said:
So what's so bad for Canada if Quebec becomes a separate country?

We're still trying to figure that out :wink:

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
No one speaks to all the positives of separation:

1) save money big time
2) gets rid of the aparthied rules Quebec is forced to maintain to remain a distinct society.
3) creates another nation in north america
4) creates small more managable democrcies
5) eliminates friction between West and East creating a more harmonious relationship since the differences between east and west will have been reduced significantly.

Please add more positives to this list.

Booh

Jun 20, 2005
Boucherville

iamcanadian said:
2) gets rid of the aparthied rules Quebec is forced to maintain to remain a distinct society.

There are no "apartheid" rules.

In fact, there was an apartheid here not that long ago (before the '60's) but it was the English population discriminating against the French population. The French language, even though the language of the vast majority, was reduced to second rank (I'm really simplifying here). The laws that were passed to protect us and our language won't go away if we become sovereign. We simply have to maintain them to not return to the situation that prevailed before the '60's and '70's.

Booh

Jun 20, 2005
Boucherville

iamcanadian said:
Quebec's language laws are considered equal to aparthide by everyone else on the planet.

1. It is spelled apartheid. A-P-A-R-T-H-E-I-D

2. They don't make other citizens into second-class citizens, unlike the English population did to the French population of Québec for almost a century after the creation of Canada and for a century before its creation.

3. If you knew anything about the laws, you would know that they don't make other citizens have less rights than we do. Everyone has equal rights here but these laws exist to make sure the French language, the language of the vast majority of our population (must I remind you of this?), is not relegated to a second-class language like it used to be.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Fine call it what you will. Everything is resolved when Quebec is a separate country. No ambiguity and we do not have to argue between a French-Canadian or Asian-Canadian being not treated equally in Canadian culture outside of Quebec.

Booh

Jun 20, 2005
Boucherville

iamcanadian said:
385,000 matches can't be that off the mark.

If you want to play the google game.

Apartheid

Québec : 385 000
Canada : 1 600 000
Ontario : 361 000
Alberta : 221 000
Saskatchewan : 111 000
Manitoba : 113 000
British Columbia : 171 000
Nova Scotia : 119 000
Newfoundland : 103 000
Prince Edward Island : 16 800
New Brunswick : 69 800

I guess everybody has skeletons in their closet.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Booh,

You are prooving my point with your post. The Quebec problem is an embarasment to all Canadians.

Why can't this simple issue be resolved?

If we Canadians separate Quebec from Canada there is no further need of apartheid-esque practices to help French Canadians maintain a distinct identy anywhere in Canada. Any French-Canadians who choose to stay out of Quebec will be treated the same as any other Dash-Canadians.

If they want more from their country they move to Quebec and become Quebecois.

Very simple. Nothing in this is very complicated.

Booh

Jun 20, 2005
Boucherville

iamcanadian said:
You are prooving my point with your post. The Quebec problem is an embarasment to all Canadians.

Canada is an embarassment to itself.

If we Canadians separate Quebec from Canada there is no further need of apartheid-esque practices

You keep showing you know nothing about Québec. It is quite obvious that you only know what your media tells you.

Keep on believing there are "apartheid-esque" practices here if you will but it doesn't make it any more true.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
The laws that Quebec has to protect its distinct cultural identity and that are enshrined in Canada's constitution are "apartheid-esque". The whole world sees it that way except French Canadians and some nonFrench Canadians who are using it for their self-interests. Most Canadians don't give it any thought bacause they don't like thinking negative thoughts, they block them out and continue living in their dream world looking at things through rose coloured glasses.

Booh

Jun 20, 2005
Boucherville

iamcanadian said:
The whole world sees it that way

Who's the "whole world" you are talking about?

You know what you say is pure bullshit. You obviously don't know a goddamned thing about Québec and its laws except what you hear in the media and most of it is disinformation anyway.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

Did you know that many US states are considering doing the same to protect the english language in southern states? Did you know most Europeen countries are already using similar laws to protect their culture?

Our laws are wrong, they only make french the official language of this province. Would we still need them after seperation? I doubt so. We could scrub alot of them,

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Re: RE: What if the Provincia

Numure said:
Would we still need them after seperation? I doubt so. We could scrub alot of them,

Thay would be completely acceptable staying since this would be the national language of the countries population. The rest of Canada does not share in Quebec's desires and this is what makes them wrong in this country as the multi-cultural mosaic that we are.

Senathos

Sep 9, 2005
Toronto

I don't see what all this fighting is about... if the Quebecois vote 50%+1, the government would have the mandate for a sovereign nation. There is nothing Canada could do to stop that, or else the international community would step in. If they got above 50% and Canada stopped the seperation, there would almost surely be fatalities through fighting. This goes for any province too, 50%+1 can get you out of this country. Each province is already sovereign with a Prime Minister (premier), and representative of the Queen (lieutenant-governor).