What Are You Watching Right Now?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
New for Sunday nights on BBC One, starting tonight.

His Dark Materials

Adaptation of Philip Pullman’s best-selling trilogy. Secrets and dangers lie ahead for young Lyra Belacqua in an epic tale of stolen children and the mysterious substance of Dust.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
One of the highlights of Christmas in Britain is the Christmas advert for department store John Lewis.

Here's this year's:

The two minute thirty second ad is based around a little girl and her friendship with an excitable young dragon named Edgar, who almost derails festivities with his fire-breathing excitement.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hayley Wickenheiser being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Ah, it is a grand night for Canadian women and girls hockey, it is.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's nearly 4am and I think I'll leave it on BBC Four for the rest of the night. It's just got non-interrupted birdsong and a dog barking in the distance for the rest of the night. They are just like the sounds I hear when sleeping with my bedroom window open in summer. Soothing, relaxing, stuff. It'll probably help me to kip.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Tomorrow's World

A 1989 episode of the classic BBC documentary series looking at future technology. This episode, filmed before the World Wide Web came into being and touchscreen meant wiping muck off the TV screen, looks at how the world may look in 2020.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
I recently watched Treblinka's Last Witness, the story of Samuel Willenberg, Treblinka's last survivor who passed away in 2016. It is a very moving documentary worth watching. Here is a trailer:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The history of the FA Cup DVD, charting its history from its birth at Harrow School in the 1870s.

I particularly enjoyed the footage from the 1930 FA Cup final when 92,499 fans at Wembley not only witnessed Arsenal beat Huddersfield Town 2-0 but also the mighty German Graf Zeppelin flying overhead.

Huddersfield Town was England's dominant team of the era, so Arsenal's victory, to lift the trophy for the first time, was a huge upset.

King George V, making his first public appearance since illness, met the teams before the start.

Last edited: