Warmer in Alert NU.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
It’s part of a pattern, he said. He’s cautious about attributing specific events to any one cause, but not about naming one of the main drivers.
“With temperatures you’ve never seen before, you can’t dismiss it as not having a climate change component.”

I like David Phillips, seems like an intelligent, objective guy. I'm sure he's well versed on NOAA's literature, and he's merely reminding us all that climate has always changed, and always will as long as the earth orbits the sun.

NOAA - What is the difference between weather and climate?

Weather reflects short-term conditions of the atmosphere while climate is the average daily weather for an extended period of time at a certain location.

So when we are talking about climate change, we are talking about changes in long-term averages of daily weather. In most places, weather can change from minute-to-minute, hour-to-hour, day-to-day, and season-to-season. Climate, however, is the average of weather over time and space.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like David Phillips, seems like an intelligent, objective guy. I'm sure he's well versed on NOAA's literature, and he's merely reminding us all that climate has always changed, and always will as long as the earth orbits the sun.

NOAA - What is the difference between weather and climate?
Weather reflects short-term conditions of the atmosphere while climate is the average daily weather for an extended period of time at a certain location.
So when we are talking about climate change, we are talking about changes in long-term averages of daily weather. In most places, weather can change from minute-to-minute, hour-to-hour, day-to-day, and season-to-season. Climate, however, is the average of weather over time and space.
A 30 year period.

The Statiscal Record (of "on record" fame) began in 1951.

We are 8 years into data set 3 which can't be used for another 22 years.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Polar Vortex will ravage the oil industry?
How?
A warmed up planet with disastrously high shore lines and destabilized weather patterns will ravage the oil industry.

The "Polar Vortex" is that spinning sensation in your skill that you get after too much juicing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is polar vortex still giving you grief out east?

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2019/...-north-for-at-least-a-short-term-warm-up.html

It’s not hot for late June, but it will certainly be the warmest stretch of weather we’ve had so far this summer in Michigan.

I don’t think it’s a permanent change to warmer than normal temperatures for the rest of summer. The piece of the Polar Vortex that keeps rotating around eastern Canada and the eastern U.S. will likely be back for a few days sometime in July.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Polar Vortex in late June over Canada's penis.

Upper-air forecast for next 10 days. Red is when atmosphere is warmer than average. Blue and green circle is the piece of the cooler Polar Vortex. (weathermodels.com)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A warmed up planet with disastrously high shore lines and destabilized weather patterns will ravage the oil industry.

The "Polar Vortex" is that spinning sensation in your skill that you get after too much juicing.

If it EVER (very unlikely) reaches that extreme and NEVER in our lifetime, so the entire discussion is a moot point! :)