L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Canada leads the world in nuclear science
www.cna.ca/english/pdf/Articles/canadaleadsworld.pdf

Canada leads globe in broadband access
Canada leads globe in broadband access, not speed > Carriers and Service Providers

Canada leads world in astronomical discoveries
Canada leads world in astronomical discoveries

Ok so I have done my part..

Canadian companies in Varied other field ( medical, natural resource extraction, cell phone technology ) have been at the front of technology for years. Many of them purchased by US firms. Just look for yourself and stop expecting others to answer questions for you..
Most of this research has been without much help from gov'ts. Many other civilised countries do more funding than Canada. It's probably why the Germans are decades ahead of us in solar energy use, and Portugal is ahead in using wave and wind.
Our pols would much rather scam than invest.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Even something as simple as aluminum or steel production puts Canada on a par with US. Pretty impressive for a country 1/9th the size

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
...but the US has us (and everyone else) in the prision industry - it replaced petroleum production in Texas as the number 1 employer in 2006 and is still rising

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I heard you guys can play checkers too... that puts you guys on par with us as well.
You know, it's sad to see that you guys are so afraid of losing 'superiority' that something as simple as the wording of a thread title brings you in here in a panic, trying to make sure those Canadians don't get too proud or uppity. Get over yourselves already Eagle. Canada has some cutting edge technology, and some big industry. Deal with it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You know, it's sad to see that you guys are so afraid of losing 'superiority' that something as simple as the wording of a thread title brings you in here in a panic, trying to make sure those Canadians don't get too proud or uppity. Get over yourselves already Eagle. Canada has some cutting edge technology, and some big industry. Deal with it.

Nobody is panicing... just participating... that is all.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quoting RanchHand
So Canada is not the biggest and not the best. But by what stretch of the imagination makes you think you are "a leader"? The citizens of Kazakhstan think they are a leader too. What country doesn't like to think they are "a leader".
That Canada is a doing cutting edge research in many technologies goes without saying. Prove we are not.

Note that I said "have had an automotive industry". What we have now is kaput. But you Canadians seem willing to work for them all the while bad mouthing them and the USA. Note also that my point was that the automotive industry, which you were unable to develop, has probably already spent billions in research in fuel cells.
And where have they spent that money? They spent it with Ballard, a Canadian company and the recognized leader in the field of fuel cells.

"Americans traveling abroad paste Canadian flags on their luggage".
I have seen Americans use Canadian flags on their luggage. I can only guess that they don't want to be recognized as Americans...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I have seen Americans use Canadian flags on their luggage. I can only guess that they don't want to be recognized as Americans...

Oh I am sure every Canadian has a story like this. The sad fact is that it is a story only told in Canada.

But we all know that Canadians putting Canada flags on their own luggage is Rule #1 before travelling abroad. It is a neccessity.

1. Sew Canadian Flag on everything
2. Pack extra underwear
3. Pack extra socks

etc. etc.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Nobody is panicing... just participating... that is all.

You guys read as massively defensive and, yes, panicked. Especially since I knew you couldn't possibly let this thread slide by without doing exactly what rh has decided to do. You simply CAN'T. I've seen it over and over and over again.

"OMG... they might think they're equal to us if we don't go tell them what's what!!!"

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh I am sure every Canadian has a story like this. The sad fact is that it is a story only told in Canada.

But we all know that Canadians putting Canada flags on their own luggage is Rule #1 before travelling abroad. It is a neccessity.

1. Sew Canadian Flag on everything
2. Pack extra underwear
3. Pack extra socks

etc. etc.

I won't say it. I'll just quote an American publication.

American abroad? Try traveling Canadian - Weird news- msnbc.com

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It is the brainchild of employees at the Mountainair, N.M.-based company known for comical T-shirts it sells worldwide on the Internet.

Well maybe I'll say a little more. Great article... thanks!

Filed under "MSNBC Weird News" :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You guys read as massively defensive and, yes, panicked. Especially since I knew you couldn't possibly let this thread slide by without doing exactly what rh has decided to do. You simply CAN'T. I've seen it over and over and over again.

"OMG... they might think they're equal to us if we don't go tell them what's what!!!"

I don't know... I just don't have that panicked feeling inside when responding.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

This is the add. Make whatever you want out of it.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Planning a European vacation and don’t want to talk American politics with an inquisitive foreigner? A New Mexico T-shirt company suggests going Canadian.For $24.95, T-shirtKing.com offers the “Go Canadian” package, full of just the kind of things an American traveler can use to keep a vacation free of U.S. politics.
There’s a Canadian flag T-shirt, a Canadian flag lapel pin and a Canadian patch for luggage or a backpack. There’s also a quick reference guide — “How to Speak Canadian, Eh?” — on answering questions about Canada.