USA Draft tactics at high Schools

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Where this legislation comes in extra handy is in the recruitment of females. Males are requried to register for the draft at 18, but women arent. For marketing purposes this doubles the pool of prospective recruits.

Are you sure? I thought they changed that law because equal rights are equal rights.

Do they even have to register for a draft? I did in the 80's but I thought they even got rid of that.

I STILL think women should get their head shaved like the guys do at Basic Training. ;-)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Are you sure? I thought they changed that law because equal rights are equal rights.

Do they even have to register for a draft? I did in the 80's but I thought they even got rid of that.

I STILL think women should get their head shaved like the guys do at Basic Training. ;-)

Draft was shelved in the mid seventies. Registration for Selective Service never was.

Wolf

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Because Canadians like to worry about the US instead of thier own draft issues *grin*

Okay... I'm done with this. I was actually having a good conversation in this thread... learning a bit about some policies.

Nice guys, real nice.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
probably for the same reason Americans belong to CanCon and discuss things like the monarchy, Canadian health care, trade, etc.

Karrie

There are people here from other nations as well as Americans but I rarely see their governments being raked over the coals such as the people do here.

You call this discussion?

The opening flamer e-mail was one of those corny things which circulate all the time scaring people from anti-military, anti-war activist groups. Still everyone accepts it as fact.

And strangely enough by comparison:

Canadians here hardly discuss their own government or the economy which is what I was here for. Isn't there an election in a few weeks?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Us brits often get our monarchy beaten up a bit. Not that they don't deserve a good ass-kicking sometimes...

seriously, though Curiosity, you've been quite crotchety recently, particularly about anti-americanism, and yet the only posts you seem to participate in and encourage are those very same threads. There are threads about Canadian politics all the time here, although they usually end up the same way, left flinging **** at right and vice-versa.

Are you alright curio? It's not like you to be so grumpy as you have been recently

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
High schools have Career Days and Corporate Recruitment Days as well as information supplied by the military. Strangely enough the Colleges and Universities also take part in recruitment.

This activist group publicizing their fears the Alternet - are scaring parents everywhere and we have done our bit here apparently.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Us brits often get our monarchy beaten up a bit. Not that they don't deserve a good ass-kicking sometimes...

seriously, though Curiosity, you've been quite crotchety recently, particularly about anti-americanism, and yet the only posts you seem to participate in and encourage are those very same threads. There are threads about Canadian politics all the time here, although they usually end up the same way, left flinging **** at right and vice-versa.

Are you alright curio? It's not like you to be so grumpy as you have been recently

Hermann - I realize you are good friends with Karrie - but please allow me to return a comment she made without your creating yet another issue. If you truly believe I am the only rude person on this forum, you would be wrong. Yet you single me out?

If you believe I am the only crotchety one here - report me to the proper channels. You expect me to keep silent while about seven posters continually spend the majority of their time here whacking the U.S.? Are we not allowed to rebut the ridiculous commentary made here - commentary which in many cases is invalid?

If I thought you gave a damn about 'how I am Hermann' I would explain more graciously. I have made apologies when I thought necessary - and I hardly feel I need to at the present time.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hermann - I realize you are good friends with Karrie - but please allow me to return a comment she made without your creating yet another issue. If you truly believe I am the only rude person on this forum, you would be wrong. Yet you single me out?

If you believe I am the only crotchety one here - report me to the proper channels. You expect me to keep silent while about seven posters continually spend the majority of their time here whacking the U.S.? Are we not allowed to rebut the ridiculous commentary made here - commentary which in many cases is invalid?

If I thought you gave a damn about 'how I am Hermann' I would explain more graciously. I have made apologies when I thought necessary - and I hardly feel I need to at the present time.

Hyper sensitive or what. I saw 2 smart ass posts that could be considered "anti-american". The original post was a legitimate repost of an email from a concerned american mother. It was explained quite well in the first page of postings. Maybe YOU should stop reading the politics forum. Something, in case you hadn't noticed, I have done for the most part BECAUSE of my more than evident anti-american bend.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

i'm sorry, but you've misunderstood me.

I really do care about how you're doing, and I really do think you've been more crotchety than is normal for you recently. I'm not saying you broke any rules or upset me in anyway, hence i'm not even considering reporting you. Perhaps I should have kept my trap shut.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie

You call this discussion?

If you think I wasn't discussing this post, then I have no idea what I was doing Curio. It FELT like I was discussing it with both triedit and Eagle, pointing out some flawed thinking on the part of Wolf, and on the part of the OP. But, since I'm Canadian, and not allowed an opinion, as I'm 'closed minded', 'overly liberal', and whatever other insulting phrases have been slung around to generalize the views of all Canadians these last two days, I won't bother.

triedit

inimitable
If you think I wasn't discussing this post, then I have no idea what I was doing Curio. It FELT like I was discussing it with both triedit and Eagle, pointing out some flawed thinking on the part of Wolf, and on the part of the OP. But, since I'm Canadian, and not allowed an opinion, as I'm 'closed minded', 'overly liberal', and whatever other insulting phrases have been slung around to generalize the views of all Canadians these last two days, I won't bother.
Now you know how *I* feel on any given day in this forum. I sense a time out coming on.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I'll be the first to admit I am wrong Gerry and Hermann and Karrie - anyone else want to sign on? I would prefer to read logical argument not bashing....but don't tell me to take it quietly.

I remember my hero Danjel Bout going on about how the National Guard put him through University - getting a doctorate is a long haul and he found a way to pay as you go without piling up too much debt...by joining the Guard. He was of course sent to Iraq and served his time with two deployments.

Some high school students entertain the idea of signing up for the military and I think if that is what they wish to do and their parents are in agreement, they should be given all the information directly from the recruiting people not hysterical anti-war e-mails which frighten families....

My two stepsons have done well for themselves - one still deployed and one discharged last spring. They have money to go to university now along with a big their dad kept aside for them...so it ain't all bad for some families....whether you agree or not.....the two boys were recruited in their Senior Year of high school. It opened doors for them which would have taken a while to save for.

Here is something I found on Wikipedia - whether it applies or not to the OP hysteria I don't know but definitely there are many groups out there who are fighting any recruitment in schools - which if I were a parent, I would probably go along with. Strangely enough I do not believe in war as a solution to anything.... but nobody asked me my opinion and I had no right to offer it when it was decided a military force should be sent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-recruitment

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Curio and triedit.

I get why you guys get pissed off at all the generalizations. And you know what... maybe the board ought to have a system... a little flag we have set aside, with the appropriate country, to post in a reply when we think it was a jerky generalization, so we can register our disgust without having to have a full out brawl.

But fighting intolerant generalization with intolerant generalizations doesn't fly. It just rips things further apart, and alienates the friends you have who try not to use such broad definitions when discussing another country. Saying that Canadians shouldn't be discussing this, when I got to learn plenty of new stuff from this thread, was simply hurtful. Mocking my reasons for wanting to do so, was hurtful.

I have no problem with you being upset with some of the posts on this topic... respond to them. I learn so much when people explain their view on an issue. It's why I'm here. But like you, I'm not here to be lumped in with the ignorant few of my countrymen who make brash statements based on limited scope of argument.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Curio and triedit.

I get why you guys get pissed off at all the generalizations. And you know what... maybe the board ought to have a system... a little flag we have set aside, with the appropriate country, to post in a reply when we think it was a jerky generalization, so we can register our disgust without having to have a full out brawl.

But fighting intolerant generalization with intolerant generalizations doesn't fly. It just rips things further apart, and alienates the friends you have who try not to use such broad definitions when discussing another country. Saying that Canadians shouldn't be discussing this, when I got to learn plenty of new stuff from this thread, was simply hurtful. Mocking my reasons for wanting to do so, was hurtful.

I have no problem with you being upset with some of the posts on this topic... respond to them. I learn so much when people explain their view on an issue. It's why I'm here. But like you, I'm not here to be lumped in with the ignorant few of my countrymen who make brash statements based on limited scope of argument.

Karrie

What exactly are you telling us. People here put up anti-American posts all the time and then they are discussed. A few of us find fault with them and work to put up logical and verifiable objections to the topics. The people here seem to favor wild accusatory MoveOn.org garbage which the average American is sick of hearing about. I've been reading this stuff from the same people for nine years - it isn't going to be solved here.

If this is a Canadian forum of which you remind your membership - why are we dwelling in the basement about the U.S.anyway? Why is the primary topic here so consumed with the U.S. instead of your own nation? Full out brawl? I thought our discussion was handled pretty well considering some of the ones I have witnessed over the years.

Canadians shouldn't be discussing this? Where did you get that idea? Well Americans certainly aren't being allowed to - they are being put down at the first invitation of an inflammatory post which is put up by FoolsRUs and we are supposed to sit quietly. How about trying to get some information out - information which rarely seems to make it up north.

I don't know why the people who speak up such as TriedIt and Curiosity have to take it in the shorts when there is a whole group of people offering some pretty strong language and getting away with it.

But then I do know why - we're hysterical women... god love us for our passion.

Last edited: