UNRWA. It's like this...

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I really do like and respect your opinion . However you really should open your mind to what the media feed it .
My eyes are wide open; that's why, as a guy with conservative values, I am absolutely dumbfounded at the political tribalism of regular people. I see other people so consumed by their politics that they can't see the guy they support is a snake oil salesman. That goes for left-wing supporters as well. I have never seen two leaders more divisive and unqualified to do the job than Donald Trump or Justin Trudeau and his woke Environmental doomsday cult. country.

As for media, I read and view all media, from CBC to Fox News, and yes, the news media "MSM" sold out when selling Partisan Cornflakes was far more profitable than selling Bi-Partisan Cornflakes. Then I make a decision. Most right-wingers and left-wingers are plugged into their brand of cornflakes. Then, the algorithms deliver you the news you want to see, that you support, or are passionate about. Then comes the political tribalism—leaders pitting people against people, which Trump and Trudeau have done.

Ukraine: my wife's Grandmother came from Ukraine, escaping the Soviets. Ukraine is heartbreaking for my family. We should have stood our ground and left the Nato troops in Ukraine and dared Putin to pick a fight. Biden and Trudeau and all the European leaders made us look like cowards, and instead of standing up to Putin they did exactly what he thought they would do.

This may sound heartless, but I hope Trump dies before November because if he becomes President, Putin will finish Ukraine and will eventually expand to other nations. And yes, I was a Cold War soldier, and not only did I train to fight the Russians during the Cold War, but I worked as an NCO in the Tactics School and Combat Training Center.

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
My eyes are wide open; that's why, as a guy with conservative values, I am absolutely dumbfounded at the political tribalism of regular people. I see other people so consumed by their politics that they can't see the guy they support is a snake oil salesman. That goes for left-wing supporters as well. I have never seen two leaders more divisive and unqualified to do the job than Donald Trump or Justin Trudeau and his woke Environmental doomsday cult. country.

As for media, I read and view all media, from CBC to Fox News, and yes, the news media "MSM" sold out when selling Partisan Cornflakes was far more profitable than selling Bi-Partisan Cornflakes. Then I make a decision. Most right-wingers and left-wingers are plugged into their brand of cornflakes. Then, the algorithms deliver you the news you want to see, that you support, or are passionate about. Then comes the political tribalism—leaders pitting people against people, which Trump and Trudeau have done.

Ukraine: my wife's Grandmother came from Ukraine, escaping the Soviets. Ukraine is heartbreaking for my family. We should have stood our ground and left the Nato troops in Ukraine and dared Putin to pick a fight. Biden and Trudeau and all the European leaders made us look like cowards, and instead of standing up to Putin they did exactly what he thought they would do.

This may sound heartless, but I hope Trump dies before November because if he becomes President, Putin will finish Ukraine and will eventually expand to other nations. And yes, I was a Cold War soldier, and not only did I train to fight the Russians during the Cold War, but I worked as an NCO in the Tactics School and Combat Training Center.
Seems to me Republicans and Democrats have been pitting people against each other since about 1860 or so .
If you get your wish the war will keep killing Ukrainians for another three years benefiting the military industrial complex and little else .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You sound like the media and that concerns me.

What makes you believe Trump wouldnt actually support Ukraine in ways Bidens and crew have failed?

Are you aware that only half of what was promised has been delivered?

Trump had 4 years to cut funding, block arms sales and close all ten CIA bases in Ukraine. Why didnt he back then? Why would he come Next January?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Seems to me Republicans and Democrats have been pitting people against each other since about 1860 or so .
If you get your wish the war will keep killing Ukrainians for another three years benefiting the military industrial complex and little else .
To your first statement, not like this. If you think that, you are probably suffering from boiling frog syndrome.
I've said my piece on Ukraine, you can believe whatever you want.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
To your first statement, not like this. If you think that, you are probably suffering from boiling frog syndrome.
I've said my piece on Ukraine, you can believe whatever you want.
To see what Trump is about , google Trump Letterman 1987 watch a 5 or 10 minute interview . What Trump said then ( well received ) is what he said at his rallies in 2015/16 and again in the present . Please show me and quote where he is divisive .
95 % of msm reporting on Trump is pure unadulterated b.s. and you appear to soak it up .

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
To see what Trump is about , google Trump Letterman 1987 watch a 5 or 10 minute interview . What Trump said then ( well received ) is what he said at his rallies in 2015/16 and again in the present . Please show me and quote where he is divisive .
95 % of msm reporting on Trump is pure unadulterated b.s. and you appear to soak it up

I have neither the time nor the inclination. Believe what you want.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have neither the time nor the inclination. Believe what you want.
You seem optimistic that the US hasnt turned into a corrupt banana republic in its death throws that can somehow redeem itself.

Its too late.

The only out is through a financial crash that leads to a revolution or a global conflict that wipes half of us out.

There wont be a happy ending in our now limited lifetimes.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You seem optimistic that the US hasnt turned into a corrupt banana republic in its death throws that can somehow redeem itself.

Its too late.

The only out is through a financial crash that leads to a revolution or a global conflict that wipes half of us out.

Yes we of our age will be okay and get to die in our beds , our children and theirs are who I worry about .

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Its too late.

I'm hardly optimistic.

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada stopped approving exports of non-lethal military goods and technology to Israel two months ago amid deepening concerns about possible human rights violations, the Star has learned?

Since Jan. 8, applications for permits to allow Canadian companies to ship tens of millions of dollars worth of non-lethal goods and technology, such as night vision goggles, have been temporarily put on hold because of the difficulty in establishing whether the material could be used in human rights violations, say senior government officials?

But Canada did reinstate funding directly to UNRWA without missing a beat.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The constantly evolving and “extremely fluid” situation on the ground in Gaza, and not a particular report or incident, led the minister and officials charged with reviewing applications to question whether Canada could ensure that even so-called non-lethal goods and technology would not be misused, two sources said…but they’re confident enough in Hamas & its promises to continue funding the UNRWA wing without really stopping the funding beyond a selfie & a soundbite?

The Star is not identifying the officials who were not authorized to speak publicly on an issue that has highly sensitive legal and geopolitical implications…who, in Trudeau’s highly controlled and muzzled cabinet wouldn’t speak out unless instructed to do so…anonymously.

The Trudeau government is facing a lawsuit to force it to permanently ban or halt controlled exports of military items, lethal or non-lethal. And the Liberals face growing pressure to condemn Israel’s military actions in Gaza….but…the UNRWA Hamas connection is just hunky-dory.
The Trudeau Liberals clearly did the math, figured out there were more Muslim votes in Canada than Jewish votes, and decided our foreign policy based on that.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Dozens of people protested outside the Beirut office of the United Nations Palestinian Refugee Agency on Wednesday after it put a staff member on administrative leave over possible violations of staff conduct regulations.

School teacher Fathi al-Sharif was put on leave for three months without pay as the U.N. agency investigated alleged activities "that are in violation of the Agency's regulatory framework governing staff conduct," the agency told Reuters in a statement.

UNRWA said it could not discuss further details. It did not say whether he was accused of membership of an armed group.
Sharif spoke at the protest on Wednesday, where a crowd had gathered to support him. Several people told Reuters that he had been accused of links to Palestinian faction Hamas, which carried out a deadly attack in Israel in October.

"The job can go, and we will stay!" he told those gathered.

An investigation by a U.N. oversight body and a separate review process by UNRWA, which its Lebanon representative Dorothee Klaus told Reuters would examine safeguards protecting its neutrality and independence. We will investigate ourselves in the spirit of neutrality and independence.

She said she expected her branch of the agency would be consulted in a possible review of whether staff in Lebanon were affiliated to armed groups.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canadian relatives of victims of the October 7 Hamas terror attacks are suing the Canadian government over its decision last month to resume funding the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), given the controversial agency’s ” history and participation with Hamas,” listed as a terrorist group under Canadian criminal law.

The families, alongside the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA), filed notice of the suit in Federal Court on Thursday.

The application argues that Hamas co-locates its terrorist infrastructure with UNRWA facilities and that UNRWA schools teach Palestinian children to hate and kill Jews. It also argues that UNRWA staff participated in the Oct. 7 massacre that killed 1,200 people in Israel, mostly civilians, some of whom were Canadian. By funding UNRWA, the litigants argue, the government is funding terror while violating its own policies on ensuring foreign aid aligns with Canadian values.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Canadian relatives of victims of the October 7 Hamas terror attacks are suing the Canadian government over its decision last month to resume funding the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), given the controversial agency’s ” history and participation with Hamas,” listed as a terrorist group under Canadian criminal law.

The families, alongside the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA), filed notice of the suit in Federal Court on Thursday.

The application argues that Hamas co-locates its terrorist infrastructure with UNRWA facilities and that UNRWA schools teach Palestinian children to hate and kill Jews. It also argues that UNRWA staff participated in the Oct. 7 massacre that killed 1,200 people in Israel, mostly civilians, some of whom were Canadian. By funding UNRWA, the litigants argue, the government is funding terror while violating its own policies on ensuring foreign aid aligns with Canadian values.

The Liberals are freaking out. Where to turn?