Uber Drivers win court decision on being Employees

justfred99

Nominee Member
Aug 2, 2015
North America
I see on the news that Uber drivers have won a right to have them be declared as Employees vs what some consider them to be Contractors. lets get some input on what others think that these drivers face in the future.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I see on the news that Uber drivers have won a right to have them be declared as Employees vs what some consider them to be Contractors. lets get some input on what others think that these drivers face in the future.
That will be the end of Uber in Canada. SInce they use their own vehicles and set their own hours I don't see how they can be considered employees. Dependent contractors at best.

justfred99

Nominee Member
Aug 2, 2015
North America
As employees the employer can say what hours you are working, how many hours only and if he decides to have you work a 11 pm to 7 am shift, he expects you to be working. if you do not work, it could be a reason for him to dismiss the employee and then he/she gets nothing. The true meaning of the work is they are Independent Contractors, who can set their own hours, set when they want to work and take holidays when they want. If the Ontario government says they are employees, then Uber can just not offer that service in Ontario and let these contractors fade into the sunset. The above statement saying that the proponents are at the mercy of the Teamsters maybe true and we should all remember that unions are similar to a Pimp, you can never give a pimp enough money.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
That will be the end of Uber in Canada. SInce they use their own vehicles and set their own hours I don't see how they can be considered employees. Dependent contractors at best.

Uber is neatly BENDING the law on the subject of employees - just as taxi companies do with their drivers!

A typical taxi driver working for a typical company is classed as an "INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR" in spite of having

NO CONTROL OVER PRICES CHARGED OR HOURS WORKED!

When things are slow - taxi drivers may be sent home by the company owner - with nothing to do but wait and hope the

EMPLOYER will call them back soon! The taxi driver faces the same issues as Uber drivers - when things are busy -

THE EMPLOYER WANTS THEM IN - but when things are slow - the Uber driver is disposed of!

An Uber driver HAS NO CONTROL over prices charged and thus ought to be an employee!

Yes - an Uber driver supplies his or her own vehicle - but the auto mechanics who MAINTAIN those Uber vehlcles

HAVE TO SUPPLY THEIR OWN TOOLS and auto mechanics DO NOT get to deduct the full cost of tools!

In addition - an auto mechanic HAS NO CONTROL over prices charged for his services and is thus classified as EMPLOYEE!

LIE-berals consider taxi drivers to be AN ESSENTIAL SERVICE - provided by poor people FOR poor people!

LIE-berals find it expedient to have a driving service available to haul the sick and aged to their doctors appointments!

LIE-berals want CHEAP taxi service available so that drunks and drug addicts will be less likely to drive themselves home!

LIE-berals want the poor among us to PARK their rust bucket badly maintained cars and either take public transit or a taxi

so that there will be less accidents on the roads!

I recall meeting a woman who made a precarious living cleaning houses in the Durham Region area - and public transit

in the area being what it is - she owned some old 4 door rust bucket to take her swiftly to her various clients houses!

And one fine afternoon - her brake lines rusted out and she went through a red light, and side swiped several cars before drifting to a

halt - all because she NEEDED a car to make her living and all because SHE COULD NOT AFFORD A SAFE CAR!

And when the rust bucket stopped rolling - her first phone call was to her father to ask him to IMMEDIATELY get a cheque into the

mail to her insurance company - because her PAYMENT WAS LATE and in danger of being cancelled!

LIE-berals badly want the poor, the dangerous, the drunken, the drugged, the crazed and the sick OFF THE ROADS!

That is understandable!

But the treatment that LIE-berals hand out to taxi drivers is a DISGRACE!

LIE-berals can get away with creating fiscal situations that ensure a typical taxi driver makes about ONE THIRD LESS than the

current minimum wage - and that claim of one third range IS BEING GENEROUS to LIE-berals!

LIE-berals consider it socially expedient to SCREW TAXI DRIVERS!

IN SPITE of how many taxi drivers are recently arrived immigrants to Canada - INVITED BY LIE-berals!

LIE-berls have very mixed emotions about Uber! LIE-berals KNOW that having Uber operate in town makes the value of a taxi

operators permit DRASTICALLY LESS! A taxi permit for a major city used to trade for up to one hundred grand each!

And of course LIE-berals were DELIGHTED to get inheritance taxes and sales taxes when a license was passed on!

But now thanks to Uber and Lyft - a taxi permit is nearly worthless!

LIE-berals have chosen to DELIBERATELY SCREW long time holders out of the value of those costly taxi permits!

And the LIE-beral choice to issue "Ambassador Plates" to taxi drivers who offered better vehicles and service has also

eroded the value of taxi company investments! LIE-berals DO ENJOY SHARING THE WEALTH!

TOO BAD LIE-berals would SCREAM THE HOUSE DOWN if it was THEIR GRAVY somebody else was arbitrarily

HANDING OUT!

LIE-berals enjoy telling us how hard they are working to build a strong, fair and just society and yet they keep on

SCREWING PEOPLE for selfish personal reasons!

The LIE-beral value system is COMPLETELY NUTS!

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
As employees the employer can say what hours you are working, how many hours only and if he decides to have you work a 11 pm to 7 am shift, he expects you to be working. if you do not work, it could be a reason for him to dismiss the employee and then he/she gets nothing. The true meaning of the work is they are Independent Contractors, who can set their own hours, set when they want to work and take holidays when they want. If the Ontario government says they are employees, then Uber can just not offer that service in Ontario and let these contractors fade into the sunset. The above statement saying that the proponents are at the mercy of the Teamsters maybe true and we should all remember that unions are similar to a Pimp, you can never give a pimp enough money.

An employee of who? An App?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Uber is neatly BENDING the law on the subject of employees - just as taxi companies do with their drivers!
A typical taxi driver working for a typical company is classed as an "INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR" in spite of having
When things are slow - taxi drivers may be sent home by the company owner - with nothing to do but wait and hope the
EMPLOYER will call them back soon! The taxi driver faces the same issues as Uber drivers - when things are busy -
THE EMPLOYER WANTS THEM IN - but when things are slow - the Uber driver is disposed of!
An Uber driver HAS NO CONTROL over prices charged and thus ought to be an employee!
Yes - an Uber driver supplies his or her own vehicle - but the auto mechanics who MAINTAIN those Uber vehlcles
HAVE TO SUPPLY THEIR OWN TOOLS and auto mechanics DO NOT get to deduct the full cost of tools!
In addition - an auto mechanic HAS NO CONTROL over prices charged for his services and is thus classified as EMPLOYEE!
LIE-berals consider taxi drivers to be AN ESSENTIAL SERVICE - provided by poor people FOR poor people!
LIE-berals find it expedient to have a driving service available to haul the sick and aged to their doctors appointments!
LIE-berals want CHEAP taxi service available so that drunks and drug addicts will be less likely to drive themselves home!
LIE-berals want the poor among us to PARK their rust bucket badly maintained cars and either take public transit or a taxi
so that there will be less accidents on the roads!
I recall meeting a woman who made a precarious living cleaning houses in the Durham Region area - and public transit
in the area being what it is - she owned some old 4 door rust bucket to take her swiftly to her various clients houses!
And one fine afternoon - her brake lines rusted out and she went through a red light, and side swiped several cars before drifting to a
halt - all because she NEEDED a car to make her living and all because SHE COULD NOT AFFORD A SAFE CAR!
And when the rust bucket stopped rolling - her first phone call was to her father to ask him to IMMEDIATELY get a cheque into the
mail to her insurance company - because her PAYMENT WAS LATE and in danger of being cancelled!
LIE-berals badly want the poor, the dangerous, the drunken, the drugged, the crazed and the sick OFF THE ROADS!
That is understandable!
But the treatment that LIE-berals hand out to taxi drivers is a DISGRACE!
LIE-berals can get away with creating fiscal situations that ensure a typical taxi driver makes about ONE THIRD LESS than the
current minimum wage - and that claim of one third range IS BEING GENEROUS to LIE-berals!
LIE-berals consider it socially expedient to SCREW TAXI DRIVERS!
IN SPITE of how many taxi drivers are recently arrived immigrants to Canada - INVITED BY LIE-berals!
LIE-berls have very mixed emotions about Uber! LIE-berals KNOW that having Uber operate in town makes the value of a taxi
operators permit DRASTICALLY LESS! A taxi permit for a major city used to trade for up to one hundred grand each!
And of course LIE-berals were DELIGHTED to get inheritance taxes and sales taxes when a license was passed on!
But now thanks to Uber and Lyft - a taxi permit is nearly worthless!
LIE-berals have chosen to DELIBERATELY SCREW long time holders out of the value of those costly taxi permits!
And the LIE-beral choice to issue "Ambassador Plates" to taxi drivers who offered better vehicles and service has also
eroded the value of taxi company investments! LIE-berals DO ENJOY SHARING THE WEALTH!
TOO BAD LIE-berals would SCREAM THE HOUSE DOWN if it was THEIR GRAVY somebody else was arbitrarily
HANDING OUT!
LIE-berals enjoy telling us how hard they are working to build a strong, fair and just society and yet they keep on
SCREWING PEOPLE for selfish personal reasons!
The LIE-beral value system is COMPLETELY NUTS!

You do realize that each Provinces has their own Labour Laws right? I don't believe the Federal Gov't has anything to do with it. But I could be wrong....

CRA has definitions as to whether you would be considered an employee or (sub) contractor but that's for tax purposes as was previously stated in a post here.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Um, they have no control over prices because their local govt sets the fare rates and the province routinely checks the meters to make sure they haven't been fiddled with. As for hours worked, the "typical" cab companies I drove for didn't care if you worked your shift or not. They also didn't send cabs home because it wasn't busy enough. The one place I worked all 206 cabs in the city were independently owned and operated. The "taxi company" itself was nothing more than a dispatch service that cab owners paid a monthly fee to for said service. If you didn't feel like working a shift no one cared. If you felt like pulling a double shift because you're having great day, no one cared.

Another company I drove for was rather atypical. There were 48 cabs owners who were also owners of the cab company itself. In that case owning a cab meant you owned a share of the taxi company. The only employees there were the dispatchers and the two ladies who worked in the office. The owners worked out their shifts for themselves.

You see spilledyourbrains, the "typical" cab driver owns his/her cab and in many cases pay big bucks for those taxi plates. Believe or not, the industry typically is NOT how the old TV show "Taxi" portrays it.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
You do realize that each Provinces has their own Labour Laws right? I don't believe the Federal Gov't has anything to do with it. But I could be wrong....
CRA has definitions as to whether you would be considered an employee or (sub) contractor but that's for tax purposes as was previously stated in a post here.

To go from contractor to employee they have to register there business as a company (usually incorporate) and then pay themselves a wage or set up a payroll for the company. Write off more as a registered company including payroll.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Delivery is in the same boat as food service/WalMart - an essential service we pay people as little as possible to do.

Uber drivers have actually achieved nothing.

If you don't want to do it someone else does.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017

I did not suggest that the federal govt was regulating the taxi industry- so let me be clear - I do understand that it is the provinces

that regulate that industry!

Moreover - again - let me be clear - I posted about the taxi industry in Ontari-owe as that is what I am most familiar with!

However it is my understanding that rather similar regulations govern the taxi industry in places like Alberta as well as Ontari-owe!

And so my comments about how LIE-berals are SCREWING TAXI DRIVERS for selfish personal reasons

SHOULD STAND! Certainly nobody has yet supplied any fact to suggest I am wrong in this view!

LIE-berals - as always - want to have their cake and eat it too! They want the cheapest possible taxi service so more people

will use it more often and they want to "create good jobs for us"!

Yet always MUDDLED LIE-berals SHRUG OFF the fact that being a taxi driver is the most dangerous job in Ontari-owe!

Courtesy of LIE-beral hug a thug judges who can always find an excuse for not throwing the book at a thug!